Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,346
If Laila Ali added adjoined the two letters "al" to the end of her name, making here into Laila Alial, her name would be
a palindrome. Any one willing to sign my petition?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,347
For some reason undergrad doesn't start for me until the 5th of October, so I haven't done anything productive since June.
Is this what being retired feels like? It sucks real bad.

• #2,348
Yesterday I had 1308 posts. Today I have 1302? o_O

• #2,349
Happens, could be one of the Mentors did some cleaning and deleted a thread that went off course.

• #2,350
lisab said:
Do you know the joke behind the name?

Indeed I do.

Likes lisab
  • #2,351
Borek said:
Happens, could be one of the Mentors did some cleaning and deleted a thread that went off course.
It could also possibly be due to a thread being moved into this area where they don't count. There's no way to know.

• #2,352
WWGD said:
Someone thought it was a soccer ball and kicked it?
I might use that.
Perhaps I can convince one of the chemistry guru's to write up an Insight on how batteries work, analogizing someone's "patiently waiting for a spherical chicken to walk by so it can kick it" leg, to the battery.
Since I've gotten to PF, I've decided that I really don't know how batteries work.
Actually, I don't think I know how anything works anymore.
I hate PF. :oldwink:

Likes WWGD
  • #2,353
OmCheeto said:
Since I've gotten to PF, I've decided that I really don't know how batteries work.
I read a few years back that the engineers who work for battery manufacturers haven't completely figured out the chemistry to their satisfaction.

• #2,354
Seems like around half the people I know regret not having studied enough in college, just went there to have fun and the other half regret having studied too much, not having had enough fun. No one seems happy with their college days.

• #2,357
OmCheeto said:
I'm afraid I have to agree with his sentiment, 110%.
On a related side note, I've just learned that my friends' houseboat burned down last night.

Om's friend; "Fun watching everything you own going up in flames...tweaker neighbors burned 3 houses...left with just my backpack..."

Marina fires have always struck me as ironic. So much water, so little thought of fire suppression.

A stunning view, from a riverside porch, from a house, that is no more.
:oldcry:

• #2,358
OmCheeto said:

Last night's view, of the nolongerahouseboat:

2015.09.20.view.jpg

:oldcry:

Off to rescue their non-flammable trinkets now.
Fortunately, no one perished. :oldsmile:

Note to stoners: When your houseboat is in flames, a good escape route, is into the river. Just remember to swim.

• #2,359
Wow that didn't spread to nearby boats ?

I guess it burned to the waterline...

• #2,360
The CALM Act is supposed to keep TV commericals from being significantly louder than the program. I haven't really noticed any difference except the other day when I noticed that a commercial was significantly quieter. It was a hearing aid commercial. Nice marketing trick. :oldeyes:

• #2,361
Borg said:
The CALM Act is supposed to keep TV commericals from being significantly louder than the program.
They can shift the spectrum to a psychologically annoying frequency range. High voiced whiney males make me change radio stations.

I wrote one station manager about a particular commercial saying :

"" ...
That particular advertiser has done more to increase NPR's listenership than all their membership drives combined.
May he be awarded a medal.
Posthumously.
Soon."

• #2,362
jim hardy said:
Wow that didn't spread to nearby boats ?
Just returned. Only the 3 houses, and a bit of the walkway, were destroyed.
I guess it burned to the waterline...
My friends' house still has a roof.
The other two burned to the waterline.

notahouseboat.jpg

The house on the left is my friends'.
The interior is a black body cavity.

The boat in the background, city river Fire Bureau, was still there when I arrived.
I pointed out some smoke to them, that was still smoldering after 14 hours, and they decided to leave*, and told me I was in charge. :bugeye:

Note to self: Never point out the obvious to firefighters.

*The river level is actually so low, I could have probably waded around the entire marina. I'm sure they left because they did not want to get stuck until the next tide came back in.

• #2,363
I wonder how much a Schwarzenegger-type terminator weighs.

• #2,364
Shouldnt the voleyball brand "Mikasa" change its name to "Sukasa"? I hear so often the statement " Mikasa es Sukasa"

• #2,365
OmCheeto said:
Just returned. Only the 3 houses, and a bit of the walkway, were destroyed.

:nb) :oldfrown:

• #2,366
2 motorcycles raced down the freeway. Both were doing at least 180 km/h. What a spectacle.

• #2,367
Fixed the washing machine yesterday saving the cost of a repairman. Still made payment in the form of scraped and pinched fingers that comes whenever I work on unfamiliar appliances.

• #2,368
lisab said:
:nb) :oldfrown:

I think you met one of the owners, back in 2011. She was the one who camps far away, as in 100 feet, from the rest of us.

Odd year for me, at Country Fair. as I took no pictures, nor, did I take notes. I always take notes.

The only things I remember, were sitting far away from everyone, as I had some type of personal plague going on.
And sitting at the rock slide with you.
And you went down to the pond to go snorkeling, alone, as I was a bit plugged up.

I also remember your hug.

I'm positive now, that you met her, as after you left, the owner of the aforementioned notahouseboat and I, swam and sat underneath the basalt waterfall cantilever ledge thingy.
I hate that thing, as it defies gravity, and scares the bejeezits out of me.

Likes lisab
  • #2,369
Borg said:
Fixed the washing machine yesterday saving the cost of a repairman. Still made payment in the form of scraped and pinched fingers that comes whenever I work on unfamiliar appliances.

But you are richer by the knowledge gained.
I'm learning how to do house siding...

What was wrong with the washer ?

I recently learned about the drain filter in modern Maytag front-loaders, and the obscure computer code for "slow to drain".
Maytag "customer support" claims there is no service manual for them and will not divulge meaning of the code.
Thank heaven for enthusiasts who post their "lessons Learned" on Youtube.

• #2,370
jim hardy said:
But you are richer by the knowledge gained.
I'm learning how to do house siding...

What was wrong with the washer ?

I recently learned about the drain filter in modern Maytag front-loaders, and the obscure computer code for "slow to drain".
Maytag "customer support" claims there is no service manual for them and will not divulge meaning of the code.
Thank heaven for enthusiasts who post their "lessons Learned" on Youtube.
The underside of the top was rusted. The rust was getting into the wash and staining things. I took off the top and ordered a new one. However, none of the videos or tutorials that I saw had any details for replacing the top. It was only while I was putting it back together that the whole casing came off that I realized that that was how I should have removed it in the first place. While I was reassembling it (the wrong way), the lid came down on one of my fingers causing some minor cursing. Everything worked fine but the housing wasn't quite sitting right. I pulled the housing off, finally got that aligned and ran a second test. Then it wouldn't drain even though it drained fine before I readjusted the housing. Googled washer won't spin or drain and realized that I probably forgot to reconnect the lid switch. Yes, I'm a millionaire of washing machine knowledge now. :oldtongue:

Was it something like this with your washer?

I haven't done house siding before. You'll have let us know how it goes. I installed wood floors and stairs about 6 years ago that turned out great. Nothing like a job well done. Hmm, maybe we need a home-projects thread. :smile:

• #2,371
Borg said:
Was it something like this with your washer?

Exactly. Filter is in the same place on the Maytag, console looks a bit different but they're all Whirlpools I'm sure.
I removed a sock, some coins and bobby-pins, assorted nuts bolts and electronic parts that i know came from pant pockets that didn't get emptied before washing, a ball point pen refill and a handful of lint.

Rust you say ?
Phosphoric acid treatments work exceedingly well. I keep a gallon of this on hand (i'm not hawking that brand just it's what my local hardware store carries..)
pACE3-20073849t181.jpg

Overnight it turns surface rust into a black hard coating that takes paint. I follow with a coat of that classic red primer(Rustoleum is a common brand), then a coat of finish in desired color.
Then you have a job they couldn't afford to do at the factory, too time consuming.
Just let the treatment get really dry before priming, i give it a day in the sun...
A freezer top that rusted in less than a year(South Florida) lasted twenty more after that treatment.

A home-handyman thread might be fun... we get a lot of practical inquiries. It's interesting to see input from PF'ers because they usually explain the science behind their advice.

• #2,372
The rust was well beyond the surface. Large chunks were beginning to flake off.

• #2,373
Borg said:
Yesterday I had 1308 posts. Today I have 1302? o_O
Now I've got 1280? What the heck is going on?

• #2,374
WWGD said:
Shouldnt the voleyball brand "Mikasa" change its name to "Sukasa"? I hear so often the statement " Mikasa es Sukasa"
"Your house/home"?

I once saw a few "welcoming" mats at the store that had it switched the other way around. "Mi casa es mi casa." Hee hee. "My house is my house."

• #2,375
collinsmark said:
"Your house/home"?

I once saw a few "welcoming" mats at the store that had it switched the other way around. "Mi casa es mi casa." Hee hee. "My house is my house."
I saw some even friendlier ones: "Get the *** off my lawn", followed by a very big NRA membership logo.

• #2,376
Borg said:

Lucky you, I went from 1667 to 1500+ 2i ?

• #2,377
Borg said:
The rust was well beyond the surface. Large chunks were beginning to flake off.
After reading your conversation, I've decided not to replace my 25 year old washer and dryer set.
Thanks!

The only thing I know how to fix on the wash machine, is how to clean out the inlet hose sediment screen.
Odd that something can run that long with zero preventative maintenance.

• #2,378
Borg said:
Your stock is plummeting :D

• #2,379
nuuskur said:
It feels more like a scene from Back to the Future where I'm being erased from existence.

• #2,380
Borg said:
Market is down
nuuskur said:
Sell !