Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,381
I just tried to buy a can of spray lacquer at Home Depot. Their scanning system didn't recognize the bar code, so the girl went off to try to find the "skew" whatever the hell that is. I waited 5 minutes but she didn't come back so I left the store.

Had a similar experience at Walmart last week. I waited in the self scanner line for an unusually long time while some dingus struggled with some problem it was giving him, then the self scanner charged me 5 bucks for a 12 pack of pepsi that was supposed to be on sale for 3 bucks. The attendant said she couldn't fix it and that I had to go through the regular line for the price to be corrected. The regular line was really long.

As far as I can see there has been no improvement whatever over the old days where the cashier rang everything up from the price tag on the item.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,382
zoobyshoe said:
I just tried to buy a can of spray lacquer at Home Depot. Their scanning system didn't recognize the bar code, so the girl went off to try to find the "skew" whatever the hell that is. I waited 5 minutes but she didn't come back so I left the store. <Snip>

Pretty sure it is
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stock-keeping-unit-sku.asp

SAA (Society Against Abbreviations) page agrees.

• #2,383
Seems like copyright for " Happy Birthday to You" song has expired, and can be used in most settings without
needing to pay a royalty.

• #2,385
WWGD said:
Seems like copyright for " Happy Birthday to You" song has expired, and can be used in most settings without
needing to pay a royalty.
The judge ruled that it was never valid in the first place.
King ruled that a copyright claimed by the predecessor of Birch Tree, the Clayton F. Summy Co., in 1935 only applied to the various piano arrangements, not the lyrics.
Music Company Does Not Own 'Happy Birthday' Song Copyright

• #2,386
WWGD said:
It would never have occurred to me that something pronounced "skew" would be spelled "sku". I would pronounce the latter "skoo".

Regardless, if Home Depot has a product on their shelves which is unaccounted for in their computer system I think they should have given it to me for free rather than make me wait interminable minutes for them to correct the inventory error. Same with Walmart: don't make the customers jump through ridiculous hoops because of your inventory mistakes.

Starbucks is rather good about this. If I go in for a coffee and they have no coffee ready, they start brewing some immediately and give me a cup for free when it's ready. They're a big chain like Home Depot and Walmart.

• #2,387
Differential calculus...BAAAAAAAA!

• #2,388
zoobyshoe said:
It would never have occurred to me that something pronounced "skew" would be spelled "sku". I would pronounce the latter "skoo".

Regardless, if Home Depot has a product on their shelves which is unaccounted for in their computer system I think they should have given it to me for free rather than make me wait interminable minutes for them to correct the inventory error. Same with Walmart: don't make the customers jump through ridiculous hoops because of your inventory mistakes.

Starbucks is rather good about this. If I go in for a coffee and they have no coffee ready, they start brewing some immediately and give me a cup for free when it's ready. They're a big chain like Home Depot and Walmart.

Entirely agree, poor business practice on their part.

• #2,390
WWGD said:
So copyright owners must return royalties they received?
That was my first thought as well. I would guess that the payees will be asking for refunds.

• #2,391
Borg said:
That was my first thought as well. I would guess that the payees will be asking for refunds.

Is that how it works?

• #2,392
HomogenousCow said:
Is that how it works?
How would you feel if you paid for something that should have been free?

• #2,393
Borg said:
How would you feel if you paid for something that should have been free?

I would feel ripped off obviously, but do I have legal ground to request a refund?

• #2,394
HomogenousCow said:
I would feel ripped off obviously, but do I have legal ground to request a refund?
According to the judgement, they didn't have the authority to demand payment in the first place so I would say yes.

• #2,395
Good deal, maybe I can soon stop paying royalties from saying "Good Morning", or even from saying "Hi" ; ). Seems like a ripoff to charge people for singing a popular song they did not even come up with themselves.

• #2,396
Everytime something related to minorities happens and people get on their moral high horse I think of this Dutch band (Heideroosjes)
Same with people claiming to fight for equality while in reality they want privileges.

In light of all this I propose to supersede the LGBT movement to LGBTAHTWEL (Asexuals, Heterosexuals, Treesexuals and Whatever Else is Left)
In that case we have everything and the road to equality can finally begin.

• #2,397
I am not as high-minded as you, Joris, I am just hungry: High quality bacon and sausages on sale. Pig-out time.

• #2,398
I could go for something as well, unfortunately its midnight and I don't have cash handy to get me a kebab :(
And an apple is yuck

• #2,399
JorisL said:
I could go for something as well, unfortunately its midnight and I don't have cash handy to get me a kebab :(
And an apple is yuck
We're lucky here we have these street vendors that will sell you a plate of chicken or lamb over rice for a reasonable amount, for a pretty low price. Aren't you based in Amsterdam? I am pretty sure they may have some similar over there.

• #2,400
Today I overheard a coffee shop owner telling someone about a customer she has who buys a small coffee and puts 14 packets of sugar in it.

• #2,401
zoobyshoe said:
Today I overheard a coffee shop owner telling someone about a customer she has who buys a small coffee and puts 14 packets of sugar in it.
At least the customer actually puts the sugar in the coffee. There is a trend in here that old ladies take 10s of packets of equal or sugar from coffee shops, just put them in their purses. And often, from the way they dress, they seem like they are wealthy, no need to steal.

• #2,402
WWGD said:
At least the customer actually puts the sugar in the coffee. There is a trend in here that old ladies take 10s of packets of equal or sugar from coffee shops, just put them in their purses. And often, from the way they dress, they seem like they are wealthy, no need to steal.

That's an interesting quirk of nature. We seem to have a streak of scavenger in our makeup ,
Sam Walton recognized it "Pile the shelves high and sell that stuff"
the abundance seems to trigger something akin to a feeding frenzy.

• #2,403
jim hardy said:
That's an interesting quirk of nature. We seem to have a streak of scavenger in our makeup ,
Sam Walton recognized it "Pile the shelves high and sell that stuff"
the abundance seems to trigger something akin to a feeding frenzy.
Surely this goes back to out hunter-gatherer days when it was either feast or famine. Fall feast always heralded Winter famine and you survived by hoarding as much of the Fall abundance as possible.

• #2,404
WWGD said:
At least the customer actually puts the sugar in the coffee.
But all that sugar wafts through the air via the coffee steam and in ten minutes everyone in the place is suffering from second-hand diabetes.

Likes Borg
  • #2,406
Science News

A new camera developed at MIT can photograph a trillion frames per second.
http://magazine.good.is/articles/super-fast-camera-works-at-light-speedConnecticut high school student Olivia Hallisey recently won the grand prize in the 16-18 category at the 2015 Google Science Fair. Her project — developing a quick, easy, and accurate test for Ebola — won the judges' hearts for its potential to make a big change in the world. Might work for Lyme disease too.
http://www.upworthy.com/this-teen-j...fe-saving-new-way-to-diagnose-deadly-diseases

Congratulations, Ms Hallisey! Well, done!

• #2,407
zoobyshoe said:
Caffeine and massive amounts of sugar? Maybe they are trying to wean themselves off Coke.

• #2,408
You know, relative to other sites, PF has surprisingly few crackpots. Websites like Quora and Reddit are completely flooded with crackpots whenever a science question is asked. You'll routinely find dozens of perpetual motion proponents and many more people who are simply spitting out nonsense.

• #2,409
Muslim Boy's Message for Ben Carson: 'I Will Become the 1st Muslim President'
https://gma.yahoo.com/muslim-boys-message-ben-carson-become-1st-muslim-205324369--abc-news-topstories.html#

Shukri Abukar states, "And you will see that when I become president, I will respect people of all faiths, all colors and all religions."

The young man is quite serious and ambitious.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,410
HomogenousCow said:
You know, relative to other sites, PF has surprisingly few crackpots. Websites like Quora and Reddit are completely flooded with crackpots whenever a science question is asked. You'll routinely find dozens of perpetual motion proponents and many more people who are simply spitting out nonsense.
Agreed. Let's thank the moderators.

Last edited:
  • #2,411
Borg said:
Caffeine and massive amounts of sugar? Maybe they are trying to wean themselves off Coke.
All I can say is anyone who needs more than 12 packs of sugar in a small coffee has something wrong with them.

Likes Borg
  • #2,412
Astronuc said:
Muslim Boy's Message for Ben Carson: 'I Will Become the 1st Muslim President'
https://gma.yahoo.com/muslim-boys-message-ben-carson-become-1st-muslim-205324369--abc-news-topstories.html#

Shukri Abukar states, "And you will see that when I become president, I will respect people of all faiths, all colors and all religions."

The young man is quite serious and ambitious.

OMG! Is there a thread devoted to Carson's comment yet?

U.S. Rep. Carson: Linking Faith With Fitness For Office Is 'Asinine' [NPR]
Renee Montagne talks with Rep. Andre Carson[no relation], D-Ind., one of two Muslim members of Congress, about recent comments by Republican presidential candidates Ben Carson and Donald Trump about Muslims.

MONTAGNE: [Ben] Carson also told The Hill newspaper that sharia or Islamic law is inconsistent with the U.S. Constitution, that Muslims believe religion is part of, quote, "what you do as a public official," and that some Muslims believe it is it is acceptable to, quote, "lie to achieve their goals."

Perhaps Ben Carson is not familiar with a meme older than the internet:

lips.are.movig.jpg

Ben Carson's file [Politifact]
Code:
True                             0
Mostly True                      0
Half True                  (25%) 2
Mostly False               (13%) 1
False                      (50%) 4
Pants on Fire              (13%) 1

hmmm... Is Ben Carson a closet Muslim? :oldeyes:

• #2,413
I just wish his political campaign would stop calling me every day. I can't wait until he drops from the race.

• #2,414
Borg said:
I just wish his political campaign would stop calling me every day. I can't wait until he drops from the race.
Tell them you're Muslim.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,415
WWGD said:
Tell them you're Muslim.
Maybe I should tell them I'm a muslim with an electronic clock. However, I don't live in Texas to enjoy the full benifit of that resulting show. :oldbiggrin: