Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,416
WWGD said:
We're lucky here we have these street vendors that will sell you a plate of chicken or lamb over rice for a reasonable amount, for a pretty low price. Aren't you based in Amsterdam? I am pretty sure they may have some similar over there.

Leuven, Belgium. But I literally had 0.73 euros.
About 5 short. The ATM would take me too far away (20mins at least and I was lazy).

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,417
JorisL said:
Leuven, Belgium. But I literally had 0.73 euros.
About 5 short. The ATM would take me too far away (20mins at least and I was lazy).
Ah, the eternal fight between hunger and laziness. Most of the time laziness has won in my case. Would love to drop by Belgium, heard food is great over there.

• #2,418
Is there some evolutionary explanation for why pain can reach incapacitating levels? Wouldn't it be beneficial to survival if pain levels were capped at some point, and thus would not affect one's will or ability to function?

• #2,419
HomogenousCow said:
Is there some evolutionary explanation for why pain can reach incapacitating levels? Wouldn't it be beneficial to survival if pain levels were capped at some point, and thus would not affect one's will or ability to function?
I suppose the benefit that caused this to be selected is that greater pain results in faster pull away from the stimulus resulting in less injury. Of course that logic breaks down when you can't get away from the stimulus. We need a mutation where, in that circumstance, a person could dial the pain down.

However, there's the real danger people would start taking that option in all cases they felt pain, and allow themselves to get irreparably injured as a matter of course.

• #2,420
zoobyshoe said:
I suppose the benefit that caused this to be selected is that greater pain results in faster pull away from the stimulus resulting in less injury. Of course that logic breaks down when you can't get away from the stimulus. We need a mutation where, in that circumstance, a person could dial the pain down.

However, there's the real danger people would start taking that option in all cases they felt pain, and allow themselves to get irreparably injured as a matter of course.

Doesn't numbness to pain set in after a while?

• #2,421
I saw something I may never see again: a woman that was around 6' 10'' , which is at least 7 deviations from the mean, which is around 5' 3''. (Assuming height is normally-distributed , with deviation around 2), could not even find tables to calculate P(Z<=7), i.e., probability of having of a value less than or equal to 7 deviations above the mean is 1 ( of course, rounding off, but I don't have specialized equipment to do more accurate computations).

• #2,423
Part of the problem is that there are infinitely-many possible situations one can run into, and it is difficult to have
a mechanism that is optimal with respect to any situation.

• #2,424
WWGD said:
I saw something I may never see again: a woman that was around 6' 10'' , which is at least 7 deviations from the mean, which is around 5' 3''. (Assuming height is normally-distributed , with deviation around 2), could not even find tables to calculate P(Z<=7), i.e., probability of having of a value less than or equal to 7 deviations above the mean is 1 ( of course, rounding off, but I don't have specialized equipment to do more accurate computations).
I saw an authentic giant woman once. Well over seven feet. She towered over a guy I knew to be 6'2". It was crazy to see him have to look up so far to meet her eyes.

• #2,425
WWGD said:
Doesn't numbness to pain set in after a while?
No. I've had toothaches for days.

• #2,426
zoobyshoe said:
I saw an authentic giant woman once. Well over seven feet. She towered over a guy I knew to be 6'2". It was crazy to see him have to look up so far to meet her eyes.
Maybe the one I saw was the world's shortest giant ( she was court-ordered to wear special
warning lights in her head , to avoid low-flying planes ;) ). Not entirely a joke, I think there are actual technical guidelines/cutoff points for what both a dwarf and a giant are. So one may be ( one of the) world's tallest dwarfs or shortest giants.

Last edited:
  • #2,427
Still have no sound in my PC, neither out nor in. I bought some drivers online for $20 hoping that would do it -- no luck there -- after checking just -about everything to have some sound.

• #2,428
WWGD said:
Still have no sound in my PC, neither out nor in. I bought some drivers online for $20 hoping that would do it -- no luck there -- after checking just -about everything to have some sound.
That's an odd problem. I've never heard of anyone having the sound on their PC go out.

Edit: do headphones work?

• #2,429
WWGD said:

You bought drivers? Just download the ones your manufacturer provides.

Well back on topic, I smashed my toe the other day and couldn't function for most of the day due to the pain. Nothing was broken and it was just bruised. It's a good thing I live in 2015 AD and not 1000 BC or else I'd be lunch for some animal.

• #2,430
HomogenousCow said:

Well back on topic, I smashed my toe the other day and couldn't function for most of the day due to the pain. Nothing was broken and it was just bruised. It's a good thing I live in 2015 AD and not 1000 BC or else I'd be lunch for some animal.
Did you try an aspirin or ibuprofen?

• #2,431
Aspirin is a blood thinner, don't try it for bruises.

• #2,432
HomogenousCow said:

I did check my device driver, I updated all drivers, got the message that devices were all working fine, nothing. Then checked some you tube videos, still nothing.

• #2,433
zoobyshoe said:
That's an odd problem. I've never heard of anyone having the sound on their PC go out.

Ah, you Mac people, so charmingly naive. Yes, I tried headphones. I will try them again.

• #2,434
Check if your computer recognizes your speakers.

• #2,435
HomogenousCow said:
Check if your computer recognizes your speakers.
I am told that there are neither input nor output sound devices : " no audio devices are installed". But then I go to the device manager and there they are listed, and apparently ( according to dialog box output), all working OK, I update all drivers and keep getting an error message. Now, after rebooting, sound icon in taskbar disappeared, I cannot make it reappear, since windows has disabled that option. If windows was honest, the error message should read: " Should have bought a Mac, or learned Linux ".
Another day with windows.

• #2,436
I had an issue like this before. I accidentally terminated the audio background process in task manager and it did not turn itself back on upon a reboot. I had to look up the documentation for the drivers (realtek) to re-enable them. Check your startup processes if the audio background process is turned on.

• #2,437
I may have to look into SysInternals for more details, Task Managr tells me sound devices are running, but somehow are not making use of CPU. Wish they had not de-fanged Task Manager in win 8.1; used to give you much more detailed, useful info in previous versions. I wonder what the reason was for changing that.

• #2,438
If you haven't tried this yet, it might be worth a shot. This won't solve the problem if something else is to blame, but it's a good intermediate step to check. (Depending on your specific version of Windows, the process might look slightly different.)

What could be happening is that the default audio output is set to something other than the device to which your speakers are connected.

Open Control Panel, and then navigate to Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices.
SoundProblems_01.jpg

Then be sure that the Default playback device is whatever your speakers are connected to.

SoundProblems_02.jpg

In the example above, My sound is coming through the speaker output of the "Realtek High Definition Audio" which is the sound "card" that's actually built into my motherboard. One of the other options is the non-amplified, digitial output jack of the same device, but I don't have anything hooked up to that, so I don't use it. Also in this example are shown are the ports associated with the NVidia graphics card's HDMI outputs, but I'm not using those. Not shown (there wasn't enough room) is an option to select my Logitech USB headphones.

By the way, this is the same process I use to switch between headphones and speakers.

Look to the right of the device and you'll see some bars (in light blue above). Play a You-Tube video or some music or something that should be playing some sound. If everything is set up correctly, any active device that's turned out and working properly should show some of those bars occasionally turn green when the sound level is appropriately large. If you don't see any green ever (when something is playing sound), it might be an issue with your driver software is piping the sound to the wrong output, or the device isn't set up correctly for some other reason.

If the problem is that your device is not configured correctly, you'll have to open the software application that came with the device [Edit: In my particular example, it would be the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" software; see the bottom of the first image]. For example, perhaps the device is set up to pipe the output through its non-amplified output port instead of the speaker port (and you're expecting the speaker port as the output). The software application that came with the device might allow you to reconfigure this.

Good luck. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #2,439
WWGD said:
I did check my device driver, I updated all drivers, got the message that devices were all working fine, nothing. Then checked some you tube videos, still nothing.
How did you hear anything on YouTube? o_O

Likes nuuskur
  • #2,440
collinsmark said:
If you haven't tried this yet, it might be worth a shot. This won't solve the problem if something else is to blame, but it's a good intermediate step to check. (Depending on your specific version of Windows, the process might look slightly different.)

I think he mentioned earlier thatt none of his audio devices were showing in the audio settings menu.

• #2,441
I saw "37 days", a small TV mini-series (3 episodes) recently, and I liked it. It's about the quite complicated events that led to World War I. If anyone likes history and/or diplomacy drama, this could be interesting. Trailer:

Links: "37 days" on Imdb, Wikipedia.

• #2,442
zoobyshoe said:
I've had a problem in the past with driver incompatibility. I forget how I solved the problem, but I probably had to do a system restore (rollback) before the problem arose.

• #2,444
Borg said:
How did you hear anything on YouTube? o_O
There were a couple of videos without sound that were easy to follow. But you're right, a few were kind of dumb in giving instructions through speech.

• #2,445
Astronuc said:
I've had a problem in the past with driver incompatibility. I forget how I solved the problem, but I probably had to do a system restore (rollback) before the problem arose.
Good point, I have not set up restore points for a while now, my bad.

• #2,446
collinsmark said:

What could be happening is that the default audio output is set to something other than the device to which your speakers are connected.

Open Control Panel, and then navigate to Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices.
View attachment 89356

Then be sure that the Default playback device is whatever your speakers are connected to.

View attachment 89358

In the example above, My sound is coming through the speaker output of the "Realtek High Definition Audio" which is the sound "card" that's actually built into my motherboard. One of the other options is the non-amplified, digitial output jack of the same device, but I don't have anything hooked up to that, so I don't use it. Also in this example are shown are the ports associated with the NVidia graphics card's HDMI outputs, but I'm not using those. Not shown (there wasn't enough room) is an option to select my Logitech USB headphones.

By the way, this is the same process I use to switch between headphones and speakers.

Look to the right of the device and you'll see some bars (in light blue above). Play a You-Tube video or some music or something that should be playing some sound. If everything is set up correctly, any active device that's turned out and working properly should show some of those bars occasionally turn green when the sound level is appropriately large. If you don't see any green ever (when something is playing sound), it might be an issue with your driver software is piping the sound to the wrong output, or the device isn't set up correctly for some other reason.

If the problem is that your device is not configured correctly, you'll have to open the software application that came with the device [Edit: In my particular example, it would be the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" software; see the bottom of the first image]. For example, perhaps the device is set up to pipe the output through its non-amplified output port instead of the speaker port (and you're expecting the speaker port as the output). The software application that came with the device might allow you to reconfigure this.

Good luck. :smile:
Thanks, I appreciate it, unfortunately did not work. It seems the error message is " no audio devices are installed" , despite the fact that the microphone , speakers and stereo speakers are listed in the device manager, and are listed as working correctly, the drivers have been updated to the latest ones. So windows 8.1 seems not to recognize the existence of sound devices in the system.

• #2,447
WWGD said:
So windows 8.1 seems not to recognize the existence of sound devices in the system.
I think that was problem I had, but with an earlier version of Windows. The version of Windows did not recognize the drivers or driver updates, or is was the particular computer manufacturer which had some incompatibility with a driver.

• #2,448
zoobyshoe said:

Well, sound is not a sort of intrinsic property of computers; it requires the use of components like speakers, microphones, mixers, which themselves require software (drivers) , and these must be coordinated by the OS. This gives you a " non-trivial " scenario for mistakes.

• #2,449
Found a new hangout spot. A Whole Foods, with the perfect trifecta: WiFi, bathrooms, and outlets -- and even a water fountain. Good deal.

Last edited: