Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,696
I have I have $ 0.0083 for Japanese food.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,697
WWGD said:
I have I have $ 0.0083 for Japanese food.
This is a totally random and "close" (no way to expand or derive more from it) post I have ever found here. :DD

• #2,698
Silicon Waffle said:
This is a totally random and "close" (no way to expand or derive more from it) post I have ever found here. :DD
Well, 1Yen= a Yen =$0.0083, so I have ...

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,699
I just came home from a dinner out, it was a lovely day i had brain sex with my gf, got slightly squiffy and now i am in the most contented mood. say woof and i will roll over:biggrin:

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,700
wolram said:
I just came home from a dinner out, it was a lovely day i had brain sex with my gf, got slightly squiffy and now i am in the most contented mood. say woof and i will roll over:biggrin:
Woof, bedtime!

• #2,701
Silicon Waffle said:
Woof, bedtime!
I shall call you "Silicon Wooffle"

• #2,702
Silicon Waffle said:
Woof, bedtime!

I should not have been so crude, i meant intellectual intercourse but i could not spell it 10mins ago and i can not go to bed yet i have not had my cuddle:))

• #2,703
I am still fascinated by the concept of the virtual machine in a computer, where software mimicks a computer, but a lot of the people I tell this to seem non-plussed about it.

• #2,704
wolram said:
I should not have been so crude, i meant intellectual intercourse but i could not spell it 10mins ago and i can not go to bed yet i have not had my cuddle:))

Believe it or not, there are cuddle parties in many parts of the country (maybe also in the UK) , where people get together just to cuddle with each other.
I am pretty sure they watch out for pervs., so you can drop by without worry of finding someone's part near you.

http://www.cuil.pt/r.php?cx=0028257...=FORID:10&ie=UTF-8&q=cuddle+parties&sa=Search

• #2,705
Always had the impression that Russians , or more precisely ex-Soviets are in general sharper and/or better educated than those in other countries. I was confused , trying without success to paste material from one site to another when working on the PC, and this Soviet guy pointed out to me that I was trying to copy from the "real computer" to the virtual machine, which was not possible. He did this after around 3 minutes after I asked. Similar thing for other Soviets.

• #2,706
  • #2,707
WWGD said:
I am still fascinated by the concept of the virtual machine in a computer, where software mimicks a computer, but a lot of the people I tell this to seem non-plussed about it.
Just tell them that it's like Inception for computers.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,708
When i was born a Robin landed on my granddads windowsill, i was born in granddads house, that's how i got my name, its a good job it wasn't a blue tit.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,709
wolram said:

I had quite the opposite day, but it ended up the same. :sleep:

• #2,710
I had an excellent day as well. My wife took me to see The Martian yesterday. Today, she asked me a bunch of questions concerning orbital mechanics and how realistic parts of the movie were. It's the most interest in science she has shown in all the years that we've been married. It was heaven. :woot:

BTW, I would recommend that movie to anyone. It was very good.

• #2,711
WWGD said:
If you could get a PC to think it was a Mac, you could make millions.

• #2,712
zoobyshoe said:
If you could get a PC to think it was a Mac,
I can.

...you could make millions.
No, I can't.

• #2,713
Enigman said:
I can.
How?
No, I can't.
Why?

• #2,714
  • #2,715
Enigman said:
"Hackintosh." I like that.

• #2,716
42 is classic! 42's family members are also pretty stereotypical and lead traditional lives.

Let's update the number :biggrin: 46 or 64

• #2,717
It seems Starbucks and some other companies have been playing fast and loose with their taxes courtesy of the Netherlands and Luxembourg, and they've all been called to task :

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/b...-fiat-eu-tax-netherlands-luxembourg.html?_r=0

Personally, I was surprised to find that Starbucks had any significant European presence. I would have thought Europeans already had their own network of coffee houses. The word "café" after all, is French, and all the other coffee words, espresso, cappuccino, etc are Italian. I would have thought every block in every European city would have a better choice of café than Starbucks.

• #2,718
zoobyshoe said:
It seems Starbucks and some other companies have been playing fast and loose with their taxes courtesy of the Netherlands and Luxembourg, and they've all been called to task :

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/b...-fiat-eu-tax-netherlands-luxembourg.html?_r=0

Personally, I was surprised to find that Starbucks had any significant European presence. I would have thought Europeans already had their own network of coffee houses. The word "café" after all, is French, and all the other coffee words, espresso, cappuccino, etc are Italian. I would have thought every block in every European city would have a better choice of café than Starbucks.

Despite their claims to the contrary, many love anything from the U.S , including the French with McDonald's and its "Royale".

• #2,719
WWGD said:
Despite their claims to the contrary, many love anything from the U.S , including the French with McDonald's and its "Royale".
I've heard that, but it's hard to process. It's just plain weird.

• #2,720
Watching paint dry - the physics version:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,721
zoobyshoe said:
I've heard that, but it's hard to process. It's just plain weird.
I think it is partly a " grass is greener" issue; you're bored with your life and you believe everything far away is interesting and exotic.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,722
WWGD said:
I think it is partly a " grass is greener" issue; you're bored with your life and you believe everything far away is interesting and exotic.
But I like them, things that are far away.

• #2,723
Interesting, seems most effective project ma
Silicon Waffle said:
But I like them, things that are far away.
As long as they remain far away, most often, usually.

• #2,724
For years bacon was considered evil. Then, suddenly, it became the world's favorite food, and no one could be found who would mention its heart-clogging properties.

Now, however, it has been declared worse than ever. Not merely evil. Now bacon = cigarettes!

On Monday, the World Health Organization (WHO) is expected to declare that bacon, sausages and other processed meats cause cancer, and will be placing them in the same category as arsenic, asbestos and cigarettes, the Daily Mail first reported.
http://all-that-is-interesting.com/bacon-cancer

• #2,725
zoobyshoe said:
For years bacon was considered evil. Then, suddenly, it became the world's favorite food, and no one could be found who would mention its heart-clogging properties.

Now, however, it has been declared worse than ever. Not merely evil. Now bacon = cigarettes!http://all-that-is-interesting.com/bacon-cancer

If bacon caused cancer, in the sense bacon= cigarettes or bacon =cancer, I would have been dead for many years now. Sounds like an absurd fad. And even if it was not, it is a great way to go, unlike cigarettes.

• #2,726
WWGD said:
If bacon caused cancer, in the sense bacon= cigarettes or bacon =cancer, I would have been dead for many years now.
Why? Aren't you a younger person?

I think the claim here is that people who eat bacon regularly are at high risk for colon cancer in later years.

Sounds like an absurd fad. And even if it was not, it is a great way to go, unlike cigarettes.
I am sure it's true. However, I'm sure it's going to be aggressively ignored because bacon smells good.

• #2,727
It's nearing one year after I had quit smoking cigarettes. Cake anyone?

Likes lisab, WWGD, Borg and 1 other person
  • #2,728
zoobyshoe said:
Personally, I was surprised to find that Starbucks had any significant European presence. I would have thought Europeans already had their own network of coffee houses.

I'm not sure but we didn't have a lot of coffee rooms until a few years ago. (Talking for Belgium here)
Even now such an establishment is usually located in the vicinity of a train station.

We do have a lot of café's but they serve beer as well. So I wouldn't call them coffee rooms.
Heck when the "old-timers" go to church on Sunday it's not unheard of getting a pint afterwards.
In short I'd say the culture is quite different in general.
It's only useful to have one in train stations etc. for commuters.
I don't actually know of people doing work at Starbucks (and similar) or in bars.

• #2,729
nuuskur said:
It's nearing one year after I had quit smoking cigarettes. Cake anyone?

I quit yesterday and i WANT A FAG:nb):nb)

• #2,730
wolram said:
I quit yesterday and i WANT A FAG:nb):nb)
You just haven't smoked for a day, there's a difference :D