Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,941
Kind of weird to have an issue with Turkey _exactly_ on Thanksgiving day, reading about " Turkey shooting down a Russian airplane". What, is this "shooting down" a new figure of speech? Yet another attempt by a journalist to make a Thanksgiving joke? What the $#% does it mean? Am I the only one who had to decide whether it was the country or the bird when I first read it? One of the two should change the name to avoid future confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,943
  • #2,944
WWGD said:
Yes, thanks, I had read something to that effect, the bird was thought to originate from Asia. But it is confusing. I am too lazy to search for whether a similar name is used in other languages for (the bird) Turkey.
The probability a turkey would shoot down a Russian plane on Thanksgiving is so low, I am baffled by your confusion. It would have shot down an American plane, wouldn't it?

• #2,945
zoobyshoe said:
The probability a turkey would shoot down a Russian plane on Thanksgiving is so low, I am baffled by your confusion. It would have shot down an American plane, wouldn't it?
Well, it was a first, automatic impression. Near Thanksgiving, the though of Turkey is always present, so you wonder what it may mean. But of course, after you sit down and think it through it is less confusing.

• #2,946
WWGD said:
Well, it was a first, automatic impression. Near Thanksgiving, the though of Turkey is always present, so you wonder what it may mean. But of course, after you sit down and think it through it is less confusing.
I apologize for the confusion created by our holiday, our fowl, and the Russian Air Force.

• #2,947
I took 2 glasses of coffee but am still sleepy. Sleepiness angers me truly badly.

• #2,948
zoobyshoe said:
I apologize for the confusion created by our holiday, our fowl, and the Russian Air Force.

Thanks!. And thanks to all for not naming a bird " Russia" EDIT nor " Russian".

Last edited:
  • #2,949
Silicon Waffle said:
I took 2 glasses of coffee but am still sleepy. Sleepiness angers me truly badly.

An idea for staying awake people were mentioning here is to first drink the coffee , then take a 20-25 minute nap. after which your body
absorbs the caffeine (which I think it does faster if/when you are taking a nap because there is not so much going on, but I am not 100%).

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,950
WWGD said:
An idea for staying awake people were mentioning here is to first drink the coffee , then take a 20-25 minute nap. after which your body
absorbs the caffeine (which I think it does faster if/when you are taking a nap because there is not so much going on, but I am not 100%).
Thank you for your pointer. ?:) The worst thing after I attempt to take it is that I will probably sleep till midnight.

• #2,951
Just watched Django Unchained for the first time. That Quentin Tarantino really shakes things up, I tell ya.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,952
Amazing photo(s)...
(source: After 6 Years And 720,000 Attempts, Photographer Finally Takes Perfect Shot Of Kingfisher (Bored Panda))
perfect-kingfisher-dive-photo-wildlife-photography-alan-mcfayden-311.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle and OmCheeto
  • #2,953
DennisN said:
You have to marvel at this. And also wonder how many more times he would have tried if this one hadn't worked.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,954
WWGD said:
Kind of weird to have an issue with Turkey _exactly_ on Thanksgiving day, reading about " Turkey shooting down a Russian airplane". What, is this "shooting down" a new figure of speech? Yet another attempt by a journalist to make a Thanksgiving joke? What the $#% does it mean? Am I the only one who had to decide whether it was the country or the bird when I first read it? One of the two should change the name to avoid future confusion.

Yah, I thought the turkey was protesting the annual genocidal event.

• #2,955
Hornbein said:
Yah, I thought the turkey was protesting the annual genocidal event.
With the genocidal event being the " shooting down of a Russian airplane". What I can I say, it's the new slang.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,956
If China cooperates with Russia, they can conquer the world.

• #2,957
Silicon Waffle said:
If the right Russians help me, I can learn the Hopak:

See after 1:05 min. Wonder how they can dance while kneeling.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,958
http://www.unilad.co.uk/video/the-iraqi-rambo-has-killed-1500-isis-members-and-is-a-beast/
Reality plagiarized my plot for a novel down to the title. Screw reality.

• #2,959
Enigman said:
http://www.unilad.co.uk/video/the-iraqi-rambo-has-killed-1500-isis-members-and-is-a-beast/
Reality plagiarized my plot for a novel down to the title. Screw reality.
Reality published first.

• #2,960
zoobyshoe said:
You have to marvel at this.
Yes. Incredible patience... and perhaps some some sort of obsession :smile:.
zoobyshoe said:
And also wonder how many more times he would have tried if this one hadn't worked.
Indeed :smile:.

• #2,961
WWGD said:
If the right Russians help me, I can learn the Hopak:

See after 1:05 min. Wonder how they can dance while kneeling.

50% of Russian population are racist.

• #2,962
Silicon Waffle said:
50% of Russian population are racist.
I think most of the world is racist; "Racism of various forms is found in every country on Earth".

I used to be very racist. (When I was about 10)
Then I wasn't very racist at all. (When I was about 18)
Now, it's only mean people that I don't like.
And they come in every variety.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,963
Silicon Waffle said:
If everyone, in every nation, cooperated, with everyone, in every other nation, we could conquer, the madness.

I think though, that this notion is a few years away, unfortunately.

I predict that 2025 will be an interesting year.

• #2,964
OmCheeto said:
If everyone, in every nation, cooperated, with everyone, in every other nation, we could conquer, the madness.

Cooperation ? :DD
That sounds exciting. I only need a simple life.
It is truly too late to make it right again.

• #2,965
OmCheeto said:

But the US economy is madness-based.

• #2,966
there should be a science videogame. For instance in the style of Half life or metroid (with the scan visor). I mean a serious scientific videogame where after playing you are good enough to work at the Large Hadron Collider. I am serious about this.

I also demand royalties from this game if it is ever made, after all I did make the idea.

• #2,967
I have some sort of ammeter I picked up at the swap meet once that measures 0 to 8 amps. By this meter, the extreme superiority of the Duracell battery is evident. A brand new Energizer D cell puts the needle up to a little over 4 amps. The new Duracell D cell, however, maxes out the meter.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,968
I always have trouble adapting to the first cold days of winter, specially the windy ones. I can see why many move South. Cold winds hitting your face are nasty.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,969
WWGD said:
I always have trouble adapting to the first cold days of winter, specially the windy ones. I can see why many move South. Cold winds hitting your face are nasty.

The mornings are especially hard to adjust to. I helped myself cope this year by buying a cuddly and warm pullover. When I wear it, I feel like a big, warm, blue, fuzzy bear.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,970
zoobyshoe said:
I have some sort of ammeter I picked up at the swap meet once that measures 0 to 8 amps. By this meter, the extreme superiority of the Duracell battery is evident. A brand new Energizer D cell puts the needle up to a little over 4 amps. The new Duracell D cell, however, maxes out the meter.
hmmm...
That's a novel way of checking out the internal resistance of a cell.
Please don't try that with a lead-acid version.

ps. PM me your home address, and I'll mail you a couple of resistors, to, um, do that less dangerously.

• #2,971
At lunch specials in many Chinese restaurants, one has the option of switching from white rice to brown rice for an extra $1.00. I always
suspected it is a complete ripoff. My trip to Chipotle's for lunch verified this: Chipotle's offers the choice of brown or white rice with
no price difference. If the actual difference of cooking brown was close to $1.00 more than cooking white , they could not afford to charge the
same for both, given the average meal is around $9.00.

• #2,972
OmCheeto said:
hmmm...
That's a novel way of checking out the internal resistance of a cell.
Not really. Issues of internal resistance aside, the amperage a battery can deliver is related to the surface area of the "plates." Larger batteries deliver more amperage simply because the plates are more or less in proportion to the physical size of the battery. The Duracell battery delivers more than double the amps of it's energizer cousin of the same size, however, because the Duracell more than doubles the surface area of the zinc electrode. In an alkaline battery, the zinc electrode is a little bag of powdered zinc and electrolytic alkaline paste at the center of all the manganese dioxide. The Duracell simply uses more zinc powder.

The project I'm working on is electromagnets. So, what's of interest here is that the same electromagnet will be more than twice as powerful with the Duracell battery than it is with the Energizer. Same voltage, but more amps.
Please don't try that with a lead-acid version.
Why would I try to measure a 200+ amp battery with a meter that tops out at 8 amps?

ps. PM me your home address, and I'll mail you a couple of resistors, to, um, do that less dangerously.
I have plenty of resistors. Regardless, it would be of interest to throw one in the mix and get a more accurate picture of the ratio of the difference.

• #2,973
I was at the swap meet today and noticed an interesting bow. I am a fan of archery, and wanted to examine it, but there was a guy who had his eye on the same bow, who had gotten there before me. He picked it up, drew the string back to test the strength of it, and the lower limb of the bow snapped off with a sickening crackle. I was suddenly very happy he got to it before me.

• #2,974
WWGD said:
At lunch specials in many Chinese restaurants, one has the option of switching from white rice to brown rice for an extra $1.00. I always
suspected it is a complete ripoff. My trip to Chipotle's for lunch verified this: Chipotle's offers the choice of brown or white rice with
no price difference. If the actual difference of cooking brown was close to $1.00 more than cooking white , they could not afford to charge the
same for both, given the average meal is around $9.00.
I could be wrong, but I have the impression that the Chinese don't naturally eat brown rice, therefore they'd consider it an imposition to have to buy and cook a separate batch of it for crazy foreigners who want it.

• #2,975
zoobyshoe said:
I could be wrong, but I have the impression that the Chinese don't naturally eat brown rice, therefore they'd consider it an imposition to have to buy and cook a separate batch of it for crazy foreigners who want it.

Could be true, but AFAIK, what we call Chinese food in most of the U.S is already significantly different from the food most people eat in China( I wonder if a burger place in China qualifies as a " U.S restaurant"). And I believe the same goes for Mexican, Thai, etc. as prepared in the U.S: all the edge is removed to adapt to the U.S taste. Most people want to think they are eating/doing something exotic without actually wanting to take a leap into the unknown.