Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,906
Amazing really how a land of people with small cars and tooth problems managed to assert themselves for a while as some kind of empire.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,907
WWGD said:
EDIT: And ghastly teeth. Maybe the car thing is because 'petrol' is expensive as #$ in there? Wouldn't think so, since UK produces its own oil in the North Sea. Still, it is kind of nice to have one of those Mini Coopers, feeling like you can put it in your back pack.

We have tiny cars because we have tiny garages, we have tiny garages because we have tiny houses we have tiny houses because we are poor, please send dollars to
UK government:biggrin:

Likes WWGD, DennisN, OmCheeto and 2 others
  • #2,908
rootone said:
Amazing really how a land of people with small cars and tooth problems managed to assert themselves for a while as some kind of empire.

wolram said:
We have tiny cars because we have tiny garages, we have tiny garages because we have tiny houses we have tiny houses because we are poor, please send dollars to
UK government:biggrin:

I'm quite fond of the British. They have a great sense of humorous self-deprecation:

• #2,909
Tiny cars are good.

Likes Silicon Waffle and OmCheeto
  • #2,910
zoobyshoe said:
Tiny cars are good.
Tiny trucks are also good.
They let you haul tiny things away.

Tiny cars and trucks though, are not well suited for hauling away not tiny things:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,911
OmCheeto said:
Tiny trucks are also good.
They let you haul tiny things away.

Tiny cars and trucks though, are not well suited for hauling away not tiny things:

:oldcry: They still can, just pull bit by bit e.g 2 or 5 small things at the same time. Big trucks are fine but when accidents occur with them, it's tragic, a pain in the arse.

• #2,912
zoobyshoe said:
Tiny cars are good.
Until you are riding on I-95 , surrounded by 18-wheeler trucks and schoolbus-sized trucks and "mini" vans.

• #2,913
Best night sleep in a pretty long while, thanks to my recreational drug: thanks, Nyquil.

• #2,914
Today I watched a movie from 1952 about the Mayflower voyage called, Plymouth Adventure. It contained so many incidents and premises I'd never heard of, that I had to google the history to see what was fact and what was fiction. It seems that huge plot pivots of the film were invented from thin air, which was a disappointment. I thought the voyage might have been much more interesting than grade school history books were allowed to tell. That is actually true of Columbus' voyages. Not the Mayflower, though.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,915
jeffery_winkle said:
[...]
Nobody would suggest that women are less capable of physics than men, but the obviously the majority of physicists are men.[...]
Yes, there are very many who are still very stereotypical, yet to mention those who are *religious* scientists. I personally don't care about who is who in the field, because to me it is the job offered and paycheck received that will play a more vital part in each person's life. Research without funds might not *survive* for a long time. Political simulations have their own stands as far as I can see that they can filter out the psychic serial killers or shooters from time to time within the US. And you know what I am expecting to see or hear next ? A woman with a big gun!

• #2,916
So, it turns out that guy wasn't dead after all. I was 100% certain that was the end of him.

• #2,917
Every time my teacher announces that a new student is going to join our class, I always think it is likely someone in a relationship with my husband. Lately there has been a white girl introduced into my class. Her name is Fiona and she claimed she was from Houston, Texas. I don't know where she is actually from and never mean to ask her about it. She called me on the phone today to asked me about the class these days as she was on a vacation with her family and told me that she was calling from Norway. I has her phone number recorded in my phone though and I saw it appear when she called. ! :frown:.
That story of hers reminds me of my past, I am an African Thai but I once claimed to be an American from California in my husband's bar where I first met him working as a bar tender and my professor who was one of the best singers at that time. hihi. :DD I thought some of my husband's relatives would have taught her about using phones.

Last edited:
  • #2,918
Silicon Waffle said:
Every time my teacher announces that a new student is going to join our class, I always think it is likely someone in a relationship with my husband. Lately there has been a white girl introduced into my class. Her name is Fiona and she claimed she was from Houston, Texas. I don't know where she is actually from and never mean to ask her about it. She called me on the phone today to ask me about the class these days as she was on a vacation with her family and told me that she was calling from Norway. I has her phone number recorded in my phone though and I saw it appear when she called. ! :frown:.
That story of hers reminds me of my past, I am an African Thai but I once claimed to be an American from California in my husband's bar where I first met him working as a bar tender and my professor who was one of the best singers at that time. hihi. :DD I thought some of my husband's relatives would have taught her about using phones.

You mean you are in Africa but were born in Thailand or the other way around?

• #2,919
WWGD said:
You mean you are in Africa but were born in Thailand or the other way around?
Yes I am Thai bear! My father was from Africa.

• #2,920
Silicon Waffle said:
Every time my teacher announces that a new student is going to join our class, I always think it is likely someone in a relationship with my husband. Lately there has been a white girl introduced into my class. Her name is Fiona and she claimed she was from Houston, Texas. I don't know where she is actually from and never mean to ask her about it. She called me on the phone today to ask me about the class these days as she was on a vacation with her family and told me that she was calling from Norway. I has her phone number recorded in my phone though and I saw it appear when she called. ! :frown:.

Bad Silicon waffle, bad girl for fibbing.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,921
Have you tried to google for "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Likes Jonathan Scott, nuuskur and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,922
It's a little funny how the word "Degenerate" is used in maths.

• #2,923
HomogenousCow said:

And how the professor who uses it always seems to stare at the same student when using the word.

• #2,924
HomogenousCow said:
I think it's really funny how cosmologists use the term "metallicity".

• #2,925
HomogenousCow said:
My favorite triangle is the degenerate triangle:

http://www.mathwords.com/d/degenerate.htm

One angle of 180 degrees and two angles of zero degrees.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,926
Anyway, though, anyone else watching Fargo?

I missed something somewhere: how did the one Gerhardt uncle find out his niece was "sleeping with the enemy?" It just seemed like all of a sudden he knew, and I couldn't tell what tipped him off.

• #2,927
They have these news shows asking people to contact them if the people see a "news development" . I tried to call once and they don't offer any $ in return. I am not calling anymore, to do work for them for free.

• #2,928
Serious ? :nb)

• #2,929
Silicon Waffle said:
Serious ? :nb)

Who's from Syria?

• #2,930
OmCheeto said:
I think it's really funny how cosmologists use the term "metallicity".
Anything that is not hydrogen is a metal to them? :D

• #2,931
WWGD said:
Who's from Syria?
The refugees!

• #2,932
Silicon Waffle said:
The refugees!
I mean, in English, people from Syria are called Serious, like people from Canada are called Canadians, etc.

• #2,933
WWGD said:
I mean, in English, people from Syria are called Serious, like people from Canada are called Canadians, etc.
Oh thanks, that makes my day! :DD

• #2,934
nuuskur said:
Anything that is not hydrogen is a metal to them? :D
Actually, they include helium, to be a non-metallic element.
Another funny thing is, wiki has an entry on metallic hydrogen, and google says there are 18,500 references to "metallic helium".

Methinks that "metal" may be an overburdened word.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,938
WWGD said:
Seems the guy could sue for plenty of
's or ask for some sort of compensation. Wonder why he is not doing it.
I don't know. Maybe such a process would be too painful for him? Maybe he prefers to try leaving the past behind? That much time in prison for assaulting a policeman is unbelievable, at least to me. He seems like such a kind soul.

In a way, I hope this video will be seen by a crafty lawyer that manages to get him some form of justice. Those years are gone, but it would be nice for him to have the means to realize his dream of opening a women's shelter. (This is mentioned in the text.)

• #2,939
I see the strangest things sometimes. Today a man walked past my house carrying a leaf blower and a few minutes later he walked back carrying a pizza. :oldconfused:

• #2,940
Borg said:
I see the strangest things sometimes. Today a man walked past my house carrying a leaf blower and a few minutes later he walked back carrying a pizza. :oldconfused:

Barter is back in fashion?

Likes dlgoff and Borg