Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,186
WWGD said:
You better hope there aren't more of them around to avenge that one.
It was the last one I had, so, no potato witnesses.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,187
What if they have some sort of telepathic link going on?

Revenge of the Spuds, coming soon near San Diego.

• #3,188
JorisL said:
What if they have some sort of telepathic link going on?

Revenge of the Spuds, coming soon near San Diego.

Of course, there is telepotation.

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,189
The pun is strong in this one.

• #3,190
zoobyshoe said:
sentient potato
Arrrgh. Now you have me googling this! :bugeye:

• #3,191
Borg said:
It's a fuzzy potato. :DD

• #3,192
Borg said:
I think it is just a potato that feels, a sensitive/sensing potato. EDIT: apparently not, there seems to be something more to it, but I am not too clear on just what.

• #3,193
Still doing stupid mistakes. Seems I can't internalize the need to change.

• #3,194
WWGD said:
Still doing stupid mistakes. Seems I can't internalize the need to change.
You caught yourself on the walk to San Diego, loaded with bananas?

• #3,195
zoobyshoe said:
I just put a potato in the microwave and damned if it isn't screaming like a lobster.

Did you fail to pierce said potato?

Or maybe that's a microwave thing. We haven't had one in years so I don't remember. We have a standard/convection oven. I randomly put potatoes in and start the baking process in case I might want one in an hour. (variant of a Mitch Hedberg quote)

-Dave K

• #3,196
Haikus are easy
but sometimes they don't make sense
refrigerator

(My wife sent me this as a text today, because she knew I was driving, and our car has a thingy that reads messages out loud. I laughed a lot.)

-DaveK

Likes OmCheeto
  • #3,197
dkotschessaa said:
Did you fail to pierce said potato?
I don't believe in piercings or tattoos.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #3,199
Ibix said:
Potattoos?
Yeah, they make a potato look cheap and lawless.

• #3,200
Potattoo :smile:

• #3,201
zoobyshoe said:
That seems to be a worldwide problem. In Paris today environment activists rallied in front of Danone's HQ against inappropriate production conditions. They probably torture their yogurt cultures.

• #3,202
how about pottattoos?

• #3,203
I imagine it might be a bit harder than usual to be an atheist if your name is either Christian, Moses or Mohammed. But something like "Bob the atheist" seems somehow more natural than "Christian the atheist". These people may even be asked :"Are you Christian" (meaning the name)?, and then they must answer: yes, I am Christian, or if they don't they are lying.

Last edited:
  • #3,204
Well, Zoobyshoe, would you now eat potatoes in other forms, mashed? Fried? Julienne? It seems PF's spellcheck corrects potato to potatoe.

• #3,205
WWGD said:
I imagine it might be a bit harder than usual to be an atheist if your name is either Christian, Moses or Mohammed. But something like "Bob the atheist" seems somehow more natural than "Christian the atheist". These people may even be asked :"Are you Christian" (meaning the name)?, and then they must answer: yes, I am Christian, or if they don't they are lying.
The enslaving systems have always been controlled by the Puritans and Christians.

• #3,207
WWGD said:
Well, Zoobyshoe, would you now eat potatoes in other forms, mashed? Fried? Julienne?
Do you mean screaming potatoes or quiet ones?

• #3,208
Silicon Waffle said:
The enslaving systems have always been controlled by the Puritans and Christians.
Vikings? Romans ? Muslims ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,209
WWGD said:

Recently I realized, that if you live in the U.S. People automatically assume 3 things about you

a) You are Christian or at least not an atheist.
b) You like sports, particularly (American) football
c) You enjoy drinking/getting intoxicated or generally think it's a legitimate activity

Only (b) above is slightly true for me. I wanted to learn statistics and I heard there were a lot of them in baseball, so I tried to cultivate an interest. But it's a recent phenomena, and nobody seems to care about baseball anymore.

Anyway.

All of the above seem to be fair game for random comments and small talk under the given assumptions. i.e.

a) "I'll pray for you," "God Bless you," etc.
b) "Man, how about those [sports team people]", "Hey those [sports team people really] [metaphor for playing badly]"
c) "I'll bet you could use a drink", "[general complaints about drinking too much and being hungover as if I sympathize], " "Friday night eh? EH?? YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME HUH HUH HA HA HA", etc.

• #3,210
zoobyshoe said:

They are cheap...

• #3,211
jim hardy said:
:woot: The Celts .

• #3,212
Greeks, Egyptians, most african tribes ...

• #3,213
dkotschessaa said:
Recently I realized, that if you live in the U.S. People automatically assume 3 things about you
Only (b) above is slightly true for me. I wanted to learn statistics and I heard there were a lot of them in baseball, so I tried to cultivate an interest. But it's a recent phenomena, and nobody seems to care about baseball anymore.

I recommend the book " Money Ball" about how Statistics is changing Baseball: instead of using hunches, now coaches are expected to use data.

• #3,214
dkotschessaa said:
They are cheap...
Potatoes are cheap.
I bought a 5 lb bag a few days after Thanksgiving, and ate all of them over a 3 day period. :oldsurprised:
That was a bit much for me, so I checked out the LD50* level for potatoes.
I was not able to find one.
But I did run across a bunch of articles about some guy who ate nothing but potatoes for 60 days, way back in 2010.
He survived.
Opinions in the articles varied.
Salon said he slowly lost his mind during the experiment. (He created a Facebook page, and posted while on the diet)
Other articles were not so dire.
He is still posting, and does not seem crazy to me. A bit obsessive about potatoes, but mostly sane.

ps. I had all of mine baked, as I had never quite mastered baking a potato. But by the third day, I had it nailed. I may post in the TIL thread about aluminum foil and baked potatoes, and in the food thread about the best way to vent a baking potato, and the best temperature, when you are too lazy to set the timer, and accidentally cook them for what should have been a disastrous number of hours.-----------------------
*LD50 is a dose of something that will kill 50% of the people all of the time, or all of the people 50% of the time.
LD stands for "Lethal dose".
I will leave it as an exercise for the students to figure out what the 50 stands for.

• #3,215
jim hardy said:
Plus Greeks. They had built their democracy on it, what we nowadays tend to praise!

Likes Ibix
  • #3,216
OmCheeto said:
You will find one if you look for the fluid form of them: vodka.

• #3,217
fresh_42 said:
You will find one if you look for the fluid form of them: vodka.
And another one for Chili fries.

• #3,218
WWGD said:
I recommend the book " Money Ball" about how Statistics is changing Baseball: instead of using hunches, now coaches are expected to use data.

Yes, that's next. I read "The Numbers Game: Baseball's lifelong fascination with statistics." To get a comprehensive history first.

I realize this is not typically how people approach a sport...

-DaveK

• #3,219
OmCheeto said:
Potatoes are cheap.
I bought a 5 lb bag a few days after Thanksgiving, and ate all of them over a 3 day period. :oldsurprised:
I was not able to find one.
But I did run across a bunch of articles about some guy who ate nothing but potatoes for 60 days, way back in 2010.
He survived.

Ugh. I would die in ≤ 3 days, due to my reactive hypoglycemia. Even thinking about it makes me feel sick!

• #3,220
dkotschessaa said:
I realize this is not typically how people approach a sport...
Didn't you say baseball? ...<on the run> ...