Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,221
dkotschessaa said:
<Snip>
I realize this is not typically how people approach a sport...

-DaveK

Unless you are the weird kid in class that is reading while others are playing, i.e., if you are the geek :) . As I assume many of us here in PF were/are.

EDIT: I am actually working on laying out an infinite database and its diagram to understand Baseball. I am interested in Baseball itself, but also in the general Analytics and Mathematics behind infinite databases.

Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,222
dkotschessaa said:
Ugh. I would die in ≤ 3 days, due to my reactive hypoglycemia. Even thinking about it makes me feel sick!
Die? :oldsurprised: No! :oldsurprised:

As a fellow, though non-reactive type, hypoglycemia sufferer, I can only say, eat, what you got to eat.

My hypoglycemia story is very long, and I've never been "professionally" diagnosed.
But I can assure you, the prescribed TV doctor cure, cured me.
Cured a couple of my friends too, when they described their symptoms, and I suggested the cure.

Blood sugar is a fascinating topic, IMHO.

ps. My form is non-fatal. :bow:
pps. I think both of my parents were descended from long lines of potato farmers. We're all a bit Hobbit-like, and love a good vodka. :redface:

• #3,223
Having read the thread about the supposedly abandoned 747's in Singapore,
It reminded me of an apparently abandoned 727 which has been at my local airport for years, it's in a remote corner far from runways.
Looks like one engine has been removed.
It crossed my mind at one point to try contacting the owner and see if it could be rented as a home.
Well it would be cool now heh?, but then common sense kicked in, an airport has high security concerns about everyone at their site.

• #3,224
OmCheeto said:
Die? :oldsurprised: No! :oldsurprised:

As a fellow, though non-reactive type, hypoglycemia sufferer, I can only say, eat, what you got to eat.

My hypoglycemia story is very long, and I've never been "professionally" diagnosed.
But I can assure you, the prescribed TV doctor cure, cured me.
Cured a couple of my friends too, when they described their symptoms, and I suggested the cure.

Blood sugar is a fascinating topic, IMHO.

ps. My form is non-fatal. :bow:
pps. I think both of my parents were descended from long lines of potato farmers. We're all a bit Hobbit-like, and love a good vodka. :redface:

I actually envy people who have regular hypoglycemia.

• #3,225
dkotschessaa said:
They are cheap...
OmCheeto said:
Potatoes are cheap.
OK, you guys know perfectly well which definition of cheap I was using:

1. 1a : purchasable below the going price or the real valueb : charging or obtainable at a low price <a good cheap hotel> <cheap tickets>c : depreciated in value (as by currency inflation) <cheap dollars>
  2. 2: gained or done with little effort <a cheap victory> <talk is cheap>
  3. 3a : of inferior quality or worth : http://beta.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tawdry, http://beta.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sleazy <cheap workmanship>b : contemptible because of lack of any fine, lofty, or redeeming qualities <feeling cheap>c : http://beta.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stingy <my cheap uncle>
  4. 4of money : obtainable at a low rate of interest

• #3,226
Maybe we should all aim to stick with sweet potatoes, which are much healthier. I am trying to get used to their flavor myself. And I don't have any blood sugar issues yet, but I am trying to prevent them.

• #3,227
zoobyshoe said:
OK, you guys know perfectly well which definition of cheap I was using.

Fine. Potatoes are just lawless then.

-Dave K

• #3,228
rootone said:
Having read the thread about the supposedly abandoned 747's in Singapore,
It reminded me of an apparently abandoned 727 which has been at my local airport for years, it's in a remote corner far from runways.
Looks like one engine has been removed.
It crossed my mind at one point to try contacting the owner and see if it could be rented as a home.
Well it would be cool now heh?, but then common sense kicked in, an airport has high security concerns about everyone at their site.

Boeing is kind of weird in using only palindromic numbers for their planes: 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 (I think) and 777.

• #3,229
WWGD said:
Maybe we should all aim to stick with sweet potatoes, which are much healthier. I am trying to get used to their flavor myself. And I don't have any blood sugar issues yet, but I am trying to prevent them.

yes, that's what I do. By "healthier" you mean they are more complex carbohydrate. In my case I still have to watch it.

• #3,230
dkotschessaa said:
yes, that's what I do. By "healthier" you mean they are more complex carbohydrate. In my case I still have to watch it.
Yes, I guess this is equivalent to their having a lower glycemic index, i.e., they have only a slight effect on blood sugar levels.

• #3,231
dkotschessaa said:
Fine. Potatoes are just lawless then.
Potatoes don't make potato guns. People make potato guns.

• #3,232
WWGD said:
Boeing is kind of weird in using only palindromic numbers for their planes: 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 (I think) and 777.

might be nostalgic
here's their 247

S.207.p2-P.20006118_640.jpg

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/america-by-air/online/abaImage.cfm?webID=207.p2

there's a pretty one in the museum in Ottawa

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,233
WWGD said:
Maybe we should all aim to stick with sweet potatoes, which are much healthier.
Thou shalt have no other potatoes before me.

• #3,234
dkotschessaa said:
Along with my 5 lb bag of Russets, I bought a 5 lb bag of tater-tots. I've tried baking them, microwaving them, and finally today, frying them.
IMHO, tater-tots are the most complex of carbohydrates, as they never seem to come out right.
On my first two attempts, I gave up, and turned them into mashed potatoes.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,235
fresh_42 said:
Thou shalt have no other potatoes before me.
But I like salt on all potatoes, not just you.

• #3,236
GMO potatoes - russet Burbanks. I didn't know there were http://www.potatogoodness.com/all-about-potatoes/potato-types/except sweet ones I love (either red or white in my area is good to me).

• #3,237
So , the spelling potatos is not acceptable anymore? I hate it when they spell it potato's,
or when they do plurals like this, using apostrophe's.

• #3,238
WTH?? Mysteries of Cuba??

I didn't see that coming.

• #3,239
zoobyshoe said:
WTH?? Mysteries of Cuba??

I didn't see that coming.

WTH??^2 : A post on Random Thoughts on Mysteries of Cuba :) ?

• #3,241
WWGD said:
But it seems it has help up during the last 50 years:

Might it be as simple as "Lucky 7 " ?
Boeing engineers were a fun bunch - they said of the B17
"If she looks good she'll fly good"

Belle.jpg

great movie, Memphis Belle.

old jim

Likes WWGD
  • #3,242
Was waiting for the bus. According to the allegedly live screen, there's one due in 2 minutes. I wait. It vanishes from the screen. No bus appears. Grrr. But there's another one in 3 minutes more. I wait. It vanishes from the screen. No bus appears. Hmph. "Fool me once..." etc. I dig my phone out of my pocket and fire up the bus company's app. According to the allegedly live map there's a bus right around the corner. I wait. It should be in sight, but no bus. It should be about a hundred yards away - oh wait. There is no longer a bus there according to the map. In other news, we have always been at war with Eastasia. Grr. Wait! There's another bus coming according to the map. "Fool me once" etc, but this one caught my eye because I didn't know there was a bus route there. For that matter, I'm pretty certain there aren't any roads crossing the train tracks at a shallow angle and into the waste ground beyond. Nor is there a bridge across the (navigable) river that the bus is, apparently, happily winging its way across.

It would be a really nice app, too. A good example of how you can use technology to make life easier. But GIGO, guys. GIGO.

• #3,243
jim hardy said:
great movie, Memphis Belle.
Many years ago I accidentally discovered they were re-running the old TV show, 12 O'Clock High at some ungodly hour of the morning before the sun was up, and I became addicted and had to get up every morning to watch it. The fact it was dark and cold outside in my real world made the show more vivid, since their missions always left before dawn. I think quite stupidly, I fell in love with the B-17.

• #3,244
zoobyshoe said:
I fell in love with the B-17.

It's hard not to.

The takeoff scene is spectacular on wide screen where the entire wingspan is captured

one needs in his library both Memphis Belle movies - the 1990 Matthew Modine and the 1944 Jose Ferrer versions.

of course i may be suffering from old man's nostalgia - i grew up within earshot of Miami Airport before airliners had jet engines. So the noise of those big radials was imprinted very early.

old jim

• #3,245
jim hardy said:
It's hard not to.
I know. I just feel it's not proper to be fond of an engine of destruction, even though that's not the reason I like them.

• #3,246
zoobyshoe said:
I know. I just feel it's not proper to be fond of an engine of destruction, even though that's not the reason I like them.
I once met an Englishman who answered on my remark he just hasn't been pc: "Oh! Don't worry, we don't have that here. It's an American invention!" :smile:

• #3,247
zoobyshoe said:
I just feel it's not proper to be fond of an engine of destruction,

That brings up a thought

given the popularity of raptors in heraldry,

why not?

It's human to admire strength, power and beauty .

• #3,248
jim hardy said:
That brings up a thought

given the popularity of raptors in heraldry,

why not?

It's human to admire strength, power and beauty .
I guess it's a matter of being circumspect, not wanting to risk blurting out, "Oh, the B-17 was such a cool plane!," and have someone post, "Hey! My grandparents were killed in the bombing of Dresden!", type of thing.

• #3,249
Why is the report button being displayed so prominently? Feels like PF wants me to report every post I see.

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,250
HomogenousCow said:
Why is the report button being displayed so prominently? Feels like PF wants me to report every post I see.
Yeah, I noticed that. It seems suddenly very prominent and insistent.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,251
Just noticed now there is a red, close button at the upper right of the profile panel when you click on someone's username. Why should it be there when it's much quicker to click on anywhere outside the panel to close it?

• #3,252
zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, I noticed that. It seems suddenly very prominent and insistent.

Someone warn ram2048 (or is it ram3072 now?)

On an unrelated note, I hate it when people say stuff like "maths and logic don't apply to everything". The argument is used to cheaply counter some quantitative claim about a non-STEM or finance issue. Just thinking about this makes me a little angry. I feel like people who aren't very good at maths tend to look at it as some esoteric art with no connection to "human" or "normal" issues.

Last edited:
  • #3,253
Got a rash in my arm, seems like an allergic reaction. I don't remember ever having had one.

• #3,254
HomogenousCow said:
Someone warn ram2048 (or is it ram3072 now?)

On an unrelated note, I hate it when people say stuff like "maths and logic don't apply to everything". The argument is used to cheaply counter some quantitative claim about a non-STEM or finance issue. Just thinking about this makes me a little angry. I feel like people who aren't very good at maths tend to look at it as some esoteric art with no connection to "human" or "normal" issues.

I agree overall. Some in the humanities are upset at the tremendous success of science. And now, with the age of Big Data and analytics, I guess even more so. So maybe if you meet one of these people, you can tell them the old joke: What's the difference between a History major and a large pizza? The large pizza can feed a family of four. Not too funny, but will surely shake them a bit. You can of course sub in different Humanities majors.

Maybe I will report my own comment, I am temped by the button below.

Likes fresh_42 and Borg
  • #3,255
Change is good. Buttons are good. All is well at PF. :oldbiggrin: