Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Entropy increases. Chaos wins.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's what I like about Random Thoughts, all the positive affirmations.

Likes 1oldman2
WWGD said:
Maybe you should look at the size of the small portions of food in the fast food places in the U.S for an answer. Small portions today are around twice as large as they were some 30 years ago. Tho I don't know if this is a cause, an effect or maybe a bit of each.
I should probably look at it. I don't know, I've never being in the US. But I didn't mean big as in fat, I mean big as a whole. To me it appears Small shirts in the US are made for like almost 6 feet tall people. And I'm not that tall. Americans are tall.

WWGD said:
That's what I like about Random Thoughts, all the positive affirmations.
TV let's me choose between "Matrix" and "Ghost Rider" ...

Psinter said:
I should probably look at it. I don't know, I've never being in the US. But I didn't mean big as in fat, I mean big as a whole. To me it appears Small shirts in the US are made for like almost 6 feet tall people. And I'm not that tall.
I think that may have been the case a few years back, but it seems most of the world has caught up, at least the 1st and 2nd worlds. The Dutch are, on average, the world's tallest people, averaging at least 6'.

fresh_42 said:
TV let me choose between "Matrix" and "Ghost Rider" ...
Matrix! Choose Matrix! I don't remember anything from those movies and I should watch them again.
WWGD said:
I think that may have been the case a few years back, but it seems most of the world has caught up, at least the 1st and 2nd worlds. The Dutch are, on average, the world's tallest people, averaging at least 6'.
I'm behind then. I'll stick to Asian sizes for clothes... And cosplay! :-p

fresh_42 said:
TV let me choose between "Matrix" and "Ghost Rider" ...
Actually, in cognitive therapies, the assumption is that depressed people focus on negative outcomes. It is difficult to pull yourself out of it; unfortunately I am not naturally optimistic (not naturally pessimistic either , tho slightly more towards pessimistic).

Likes 1oldman2
Short people want to be tall, but do tall people want to be shorter ? :-p
If you're one head (skull) taller than me, that'll be too *matched*. I will stand on my toes then.

Sometimes I use music to influence my autonomous nervous system, e.g.

Unfortunately, Candy Dulfur (à propos Dutch) makes the better music:

Plus, depressed people are by far more interesting. :cool:

fresh_42 said:
Sometimes I use music to influence my autonomous nervous system, e.g.

Unfortunately, Candy Dulfur (à propos Dutch) makes the better music:

It is kind of a luxury to allow yourself to be depressed. When you need to go work, do your own shopping, cleaning, etc.
you really cannot afford to be depressed. I think the general trait of interesting people is their willingness to engage in complexity, i.e.,to address issues as they are and not oversimplify them.

And I think it is a good idea to monitor your moods and use different means to manage them.

Depression is known to have links to Zn deficiency.
Sometimes I feel sad because I want someone to love. I realize I am being more lovesick than depressed.

Silicon Waffle said:
Short people want to be tall, but do tall people want to be shorter ? :-p
If you're one head (skull) taller than me, that'll be too *matched*. I will stand on my toes then.
My cousins are all tall. Which sucks for me. But it's okay, what I lack of tall I make up for jumping like a ninja all over the place.
fresh_42 said:
You could say that again.
WWGD said:
It is kind of a luxury to allow yourself to be depressed. When you need to go work, do your own shopping, cleaning, etc.
you really cannot afford to be depressed.
Because when you are pressed you cannot be depressed... :woot: I don't know if it makes sense.

Likes 1oldman2 and Silicon Waffle
Psinter said:
Because when you are pressed you cannot be depressed... :woot: I don't know if it makes sense.
:DD

Psinter said:
My cousins are all tall. Which sucks for me. But it's okay, what I lack of tall I make up for jumping like a ninja all over the place.

You could say that again.

Maybe you can aim to be tall for your height. I have a friend who is 5'3'' but everyone somehow believes he is much taller than that. And depressed people are initially interesting but after a few meets, pretty tiresome, at least to me.

WWGD said:
It is kind of a luxury to allow yourself to be depressed. When you need to go work, do your own shopping, cleaning, etc. you really cannot afford to be depressed. I think the general trait of interesting people is their willingness to engage in complexity, i.e.,to address issues as they are and not oversimplify them.
One can have both. And the degree of depression varies a lot, among people and through times. I agree on your definition on interesting people. Maybe I shortened it because depressed people always have a fundamental amount of complexity at hand.

Psinter said:

Sort of.

If I was pressed, I would scream louder until I got pressed harder.

fresh_42 said:
One can have both. And the degree of depression varies a lot, among people and through times. I agree on your definition on interesting people. Maybe I shortened it because depressed people always have a fundamental amount of complexity at hand.

Yes, maybe it is the appearence ( possibly correct) that they are seriously and honestly dealing with their issues. And yes, it is true that your level of depression likely changes over time. And it is , other than in extreme cases ultimately up to you whether you fight it or not. It is often hard, but necessary , otherwise you can get sucked into it and it is difficult to pull yourself out. EDIT: Sorry if I am being too heavy, serious on this.

Silicon Waffle said:
If I was pressed, I would scream louder until I got pressed harder.
If you were pressed well-enough, you would have no wrinkles.

Likes Psinter
WWGD said:
Sorry if I am being too heavy, serious on this.
No deal. I don't think it's even a disease rather a state of mind, because it's like biking: once you know it ...

fresh_42 said:
No deal. I don't think it's even a disease rather a state of mind, because it's like biking: once you know it ...
Likely true; memory is mood -specific. Kind of strange, a tip that was apparently successful (tho I don't have hard data): students were told to replicate, during their exams, the mood they had while they were studying.

WWGD said:
Likely true; memory is mood -specific. Kind of strange, a tip that was apparently successful (tho I don't have hard data): students were told to replicate, during their exams, the mood they had while they were studying.
That might have been a trick to achieve a level of high concentration while simultaneously forgetting the exam situation. When I tutored kids in math I experienced that concentration is half the work. They are rarely just stupid.

fresh_42 said:
That might have been a trick to achieve a level of high concentration while simultaneously forgetting the exam situation. When I tutored kids in math I experienced that concentration is half the work. They are rarely just stupid.
Interesting you mention that; I have been reading the book 'Focus' by D.Goleman. Interesting, though, ironically, it goes OT towards the end. Anyway, it seems like the main drags of focus are sensory and emotional. I am actually trying to observe my attention process, so I can manage it more effectively. But I do agree on its importance, managing should be taught in school.

WWGD said:
I am actually trying to observe my attention process, so I can manage it more effectively.
Yep, it's hard sometimes not to have the abilities of a Tibetan monk.

I've just seen:
Number of Americans killed last year by ISIS 4, furniture 17, American guns 30 thousand something
Ok, forget about the political issue. The point is FURNITURE?

fresh_42 said:
Yep, it's hard sometimes not to have the abilities of a Tibetan monk.

I've just seen:
Number of Americans killed last year by ISIS 4, furniture 17, American guns 30 thousand something
Ok, forget about the political issue. The point is FURNITURE?

Maybe furniture fell on them (they were not focused-enough :) )?

WWGD said:
Maybe furniture fell on them (they were not focused-enough :) )?
They must have counted among tornado casualties. Otherwise ... imagine the funeral: ... now he's laying to rest as he intended while he was taken from us by his Murphy bed ...

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Actually, in cognitive therapies, the assumption is that depressed people focus on negative outcomes. It is difficult to pull yourself out of it; unfortunately I am not naturally optimistic (not naturally pessimistic either , tho slightly more towards pessimistic).
I'm a little conflicted myself sometimes.

1oldman2 said:
I'm a little conflicted myself sometimes.
fresh_42 said:
TV let's me choose between "Matrix" and "Ghost Rider" ...
And in your pessimism, you will say: surely my matrix is not invertible --and then say: "Don't call me Shirley"

Likes 1oldman2
No matter how you hate or love me, I will also have to work to get your money. Is this supposed to be a pessimistic or optimistic view ? o0)

o-ROBOT-HUGS-570.jpg

If physical illnesses were treated like mental illnesses

Likes collinsmark, wolram and Silicon Waffle
Sophia said:
o-ROBOT-HUGS-570.jpg

Exactly! how insightful! :DD

Sophia said:
Although I agree to some extent with the point that this cartoon is making, I believe reality is more complex. However, that is probably why it is a cartoon.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Sophia said:
o-ROBOT-HUGS-570.jpg

Sophia i am strongly in favor in people taking more note of MH as i suffer from an (illness) that few people recognize as debilitating.

Likes Sophia
Trailer trash neighbor is back at blasting music, now on on a Sunday at 8 a.m. Wish I had a bat to beat the hell out of the device that is playing the music.

WWGD said:
Trailer trash neighbor is back at blasting music, now on on a Sunday at 8 a.m. Wish I had a bat to beat the hell out of the device that is playing the music.
You have quite permissive gun laws in the USA, don't you? I would say: take advantage.