Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
fresh_42 said:
Intended?

Sort of. But none has had hip problems. Maybe @1oldman2 should listen to it more often?

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Sort of. But none has had hip problems. Maybe @1oldman2 should listen to it more often?
It's more like " lurkin' for a livin' " :smile:

Likes WWGD
1oldman2 said:
It's more like " lurkin' for a livin' " :smile:

That's what she (and, sadly, the judge) said (all-purpose reply).

fresh_42 said:
West coast problem?
Broken fan problem.

Yet another different way of pronouncing Renaissance. Five last count.

I have heard the expression " foisting his own petard" in different ways. Pretty confusing. Maybe a disgusting sexual meaning and another one about showing off.

WWGD said:
I have heard the expression " foisting his own petard" in different ways. Pretty confusing. Maybe a disgusting sexual meaning and another one about showing off.
I was always under the impression it was "hoisted by his own petard" have I been wrong all along?

1oldman2 said:
I was always under the impression it was "hoisted by his own petard" have I been wrong all along?
Not sure. Maybe I am the one who's wrong --serves me right for foisting/(being hoisted) by my own petard. Though I still have no idea what the expression means EDIT: It seems you're right @1oldman2 , a search for my expression did not get any hits.

Likes 1oldman2
WWGD said:
Not sure. Maybe I am the one who's wrong --serves me right for foisting/(being hoisted) by my own petard. Though I still have no idea what the expression means
Either way considering the "petard" it's funny?:)

1oldman2 said:
Either way considering the "petard" it's funny?:)
No kidding, that can of beans I just had me hoisting plenty of petards. They won't let me eat at the diner any more.

WWGD said:
No kidding, that can of beans I just had me hoisting plenty of petards. They won't let me eat at the diner any more.
The main thing about petards is to maintain a low particulate count, otherwise there can be complications

Likes WWGD
I don't know why I have been butchering sentences recently. Maybe I am just tired.

Ah, interesting, another nut referring to himself in the 3rd person. You know, Joe Blow saying things like " Joe Blow is an outstanding speaker", or " Joe Blow is an honest man".

I've ridden around on some exotic vessels before, but I've never even seen an ice breaker.

I think they are cool.

Likes 1oldman2
WWGD said:
Ah, interesting, another nut referring to himself in the 3rd person. You know, Joe Blow saying things like " Joe Blow is an outstanding speaker".
3rd party view is good except in video games. It could be we're all tired :sleep:

1oldman2 said:
3rd party view is good except in video games. It could be we're all tired :sleep:
3rd party is too much if you have all of them on the same night. WWGD doesn't do 3 parties on the same night -- and I am not just being hoisted...

fresh_42 said:
WHAT? A Google search without stupid results?
Actually, there is a name for those words/strings that do not produce results in a google search.

fresh_42 said:
That's why I stick with duckduckgo :smile:

1oldman2 said:
That's why I stick with duckduckgo :smile:
Or Cuil, which does not track you either.

WWGD said:
Ah, interesting, another nut referring to himself in the 3rd person. You know, Joe Blow saying things like " Joe Blow is an outstanding speaker", or " Joe Blow is an honest man".
Here it is epidemic that people being interviewed refer to themselves as 'we' or 'one': "We have done our best, but the race car wasn't fast enough", "One wasn't focused enough."
Oh, how I hate this cowardly language.

WWGD said:
Or Cuil, which does not track you either.
Interesting, that's new to me. :smile:

fresh_42 said:
Here it is epidemic that people being interviewed refer to themselves as 'we' or 'one': "We have done our best, but the race car wasn't fast enough", "One wasn't focused enough."
Oh, how I hate this cowardly language.
Together with other euphemisms like "passing away" , or "S/he is no longer with us" . Look at people's reactions when you just say " He is dead".

WWGD said:
3rd party is too much if you have all of them on the same night. WWGD doesn't do 3 parties on the same night -- and I am not just being hoisted...
What is it that you make my music program this night?

1oldman2 said:
Interesting, that's new to me. :smile:
It was a competitor of google for some (short period of ) time, but it fizzled.
http://www.cuil.pt/

WWGD said:
Together with other euphemisms like "passing away" , or "S/he is no longer with us" . Look at people's reactions when you just say " He is dead".
People have a hard time with the"reality of the finality of the mortality" or the three "ality's as I call them

Likes Sirsh and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:

Swedish collection? Der Sluppen Johannes B (don't know how to use the Umlaut).

1oldman2 said:
People have a hard time with the"reality of the finality of the mortality" or the three "ality's as I call them

Agree, but you want to be careful not to detach yourself too much from difficult situations either.

Likes 1oldman2
fresh_42 said:

Caught that live once long long ago,great show :wink:

WWGD said:
Ah, thanks, I had the meaning wrong by a long stretch.
An analogy might be "patting ones own back" or "tooting ones own horn" only with a twist to it.

fresh_42 said:
Hey! Don't quote other people and attribute it to me.

Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
Hey! Don't quote other people and attribute it to me.
Oops. Sorry for that and deleted.

OmCheeto said:
I've ridden around on some exotic vessels before, but I've never even seen an ice breaker.

I think they are cool.

I'm still waiting to catch the "Tiki bar" boat. :wink:

Optimism is only a lack of information.

Likes Silicon Waffle