Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
WWGD said:
But no sauce helps quite enough with a Ratburger.
How can you tell?

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
How can you tell?
Leftovers from when I played my flute (the actual flute, just in case), near Hameln.

WWGD said:
Leftovers from when I played my flute (the actual flute, just in case), near Hameln.
Here this fairy tale is associated to a certain city. I'm surprised it exists in an English culture.

WWGD said:

OK... but what did you do with the kids ! ? ...

Pied_Piper2.jpg

Likes WWGD
I want this and I cannot lie:

cool-hammock-tent-tree-forest.jpg

Likes WWGD
OCR said:
OK... but what did you do with the kids ! ? ...

Pied_Piper2.jpg
They are making iPhones in China . They get paid a whopping 3 cents/hr.

Psinter said:
When you fight one person and all your movements are highly disciplined as in martial arts, but then you have to fight 5 at the same time and you go Gorilla Mode all over the place and there's no discipline whatsoever in your movements.
640px-Battle_of_Lutzen.jpg

All your fine and disciplined punches convert into a savage melee (disorganized close combat).

I've been looking into history and there appears to be conflict almost every year of history at one place or another of the world... Humans.
That's why I hated History. It's only war, war, war and revolutions. And memorizing years. Booooriiiing!

............ I love observing old miners.
There's so much warmth when they meet their friends from the mine. They always say that a special kind of friendship is formed down there.
And their hands. So large with thick skin that bear witness to their hard labour.

Likes OmCheeto
Sophia said:
I love observing old miners.
There's so much warmth when they meet their friends from the mine. They always say that a special kind of friendship is formed down there.
And their hands. So large with thick skin that bear witness to their hard labour.
Sharing the same uncertain fate and after saving each other every day I'm sure a special kind of relationship is built between them. It's a dangerous job. Respect to them.
latest?cb=20131202231912&path-prefix=es.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle and Sophia
I find that AON loses its competitiveness to Generali. Many companies in my area now favor the latter. :wink:

Hmm. Not all restaurants are Taco Bell, no matter how adamantly I insist.

Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
My problem is I forget my own number. I've done it many times.
It should be possible to retrieve the number using the phone.

Silicon Waffle said:
I find that AON loses its competitiveness to Generali. Many companies in my area now favor the latter. :wink:
What are those, insurance companies?

WWGD said:
It should be possible to retrieve the number using the phone.
Yes, but the usual reason I'm trying to remember it is to give it to someone whose right there, and a person who has to look up his own phone number comes off as a major dork.

Need to do the correlation job. Taking too long.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, but the usual reason I'm trying to remember it is to give it to someone whose right there, and a person who has to look up his own phone number comes off as a major dork.
Sorry to have to agree on that :(.

WWGD said:
What are those, insurance companies?
Yes, they are, Sir!
WWGD said:
Need to do the correlation job. Taking too long.
:biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
"My card..."? Or is that worse on the dorkometer?

You could always go with the face-saving lie. You've only had the number a couple of days and haven't memorised it yet. If they don't already have your number they aren't going to know you've actually had it for months (or whatever).

Likes 1oldman2
"Dork"? You mean "awesome"?

I've got my number written on bottom side of the phone. With permanent marker.
Trust me, I'm (not) an engineer
:-D

WWGD said:
Sorry to have to agree on that :(.
The thing is, I agree with it too. If I ran onto someone who couldn't remember their own phone number, I'd think, "What a dork!"
Ibix said:
"My card..."? Or is that worse on the dorkometer?

You could always go with the face-saving lie. You've only had the number a couple of days and haven't memorised it yet. If they don't already have your number they aren't going to know you've actually had it for months (or whatever).
The reason this situation exists is that I never call myself, I never actually use my own phone number, so there's no naturally occurring reinforcement of it in my memory. Since I consider it something I, myself, am never going to use, it is relegated in my mind to a thing of low priority. However, other people find that weird, surmising, I guess, that by the same logic, a person could justify forgetting their own name.

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
"Dork"? You mean "awesome"?
Yes, my hope in these situations is that the person will mistake it for a sign of eccentric genius or at least some kind of abstruse artistic Weltanschauung.

Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
The reason this situation exists is that I never call myself, I never actually use my own phone number, so there's no naturally occurring reinforcement of it in my memory. Since I consider it something I, myself, am never going to use, it is relegated in my mind to a thing of low priority. However, other people find that weird, surmising, I guess, that by the same logic, a person could justify forgetting their own name.
True. You could ring yourself every evening until you stop getting wrong numbers? Or use Sophia's solution of writing the number on the case. That way you could just present the reverse of your phone to the person and let them copy/error check by themselves.

Likes 1oldman2 and Silicon Waffle
Ibix said:
True. You could ring yourself every evening until you stop getting wrong numbers? Or use Sophia's solution of writing the number on the case. That way you could just present the reverse of your phone to the person and let them copy/error check by themselves.
Actually, I'm just going to make the extra, strenuous effort to memorize the new number, reminding myself that it's not just going to stick in my head effortlessly. I did eventually memorize my old number after enough incidents of forgetting it, so I know it is humanly possible to do so, however unnatural and unhealthy that effort seems.

Likes 1oldman2 and Ibix
A wonderful little story: http://thejumbuckisalmostextinct.com/2009/12/cookies-by-douglas-adams/ .
Douglas Adams said:
The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who’s had the same exact story, only he doesn’t have the punch line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1oldman2
Ibix said:
zoobyshoe said:
Actually, I'm just going to make the extra, strenuous effort to memorize the new number, reminding myself that it's not just going to stick in my head effortlessly. I did eventually memorize my old number after enough incidents of forgetting it, so I know it is humanly possible to do so, however unnatural and unhealthy that effort seems.
We should all realize, the contact list does nothing to reinforce good short term memory skills. :doh:

DennisN said:
A wonderful little story: http://thejumbuckisalmostextinct.com/2009/12/cookies-by-douglas-adams/ .
I've once been told a similar story: A mathematician (there has been an actual name involved) walked home at dusk through a park in Chicago. All of a sudden a threatening guy came his way. As they've passed the mathematician panicky looked after his watch and couldn't find it anymore. It wasn't there. He plucked up all his courage, turned around and loudly claimed his watch back! The daunted stranger handed it back to him. Being back at his apartment he had a drink, relaxed and realized he had an additional watch in his pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
WWGD said:
They are making iPhones in China . They get paid a whopping 3 cents/hr.
You can save a lot of money if you go to Bangladesh!

Sophia said:
That's why I hated History. It's only war, war, war and revolutions. And memorizing years. Booooriiiing!
This is why I like "insider" history.
I once worked with a lady from Tutayev Russia.
The "official" story of how her town got its name was that "General Tutayev" was the only casualty in a battle fought there. He died a hero, defending the town.
Her story was, that he was the town drunk, stumbled between the two sides, to see what was going on, and was unfortunately, the only casualty in the conflict with Napoleon's army, which was apparently lost at the time. [ref PF]
Perhaps, the "general" came from everyone, at the time, considering him "generally an idiot".
Who knows.
But it's fun thinking of what history was really like, without all the historians erasing all the funny stuff that happened. :smile:

............I love observing old miners.

My dad used to live in an old abandoned silver mine.
I never went to visit, as it was very far away, but I saw pictures.

OmCheeto said:
This is why I like "insider" history.
I once worked with a lady from Tutayev Russia.
The "official" story of how her town got its name was that "General Tutayev" was the only casualty in a battle fought there. He died a hero, defending the town.
Her story was, that he was the town drunk, stumbled between the two sides, to see what was going on, and was unfortunately, the only casualty in the conflict with Napoleon's army, which was apparently lost at the time. [ref PF]
Perhaps, the "general" came from everyone, at the time, considering him "generally an idiot".
Who knows.
But it's fun thinking of what history was really like, without all the historians erasing all the funny stuff that happened. [emoji2]
My dad used to live in an old abandoned silver mine.
I never went to visit, as it was very far away, but I saw pictures.
Yep, history could be really interesting if you had a good passionate teacher.
And it is important to know the history because it repeats itself. Our teacher made us write on the first page of our notebooks : History is teacher of life.
To be honest, I had no idea what it means until I was much older :-) but I always drew pretty flowers on that first page anyway :-)

Your dad lived in a mine? Do you mean the building where miners changed their clothes and showered? Or underground?

Sophia said:
Yep, history could be really interesting if you had a good passionate teacher.
And it is important to know the history because it repeats itself. Our teacher made us write on the first page of our notebooks : History is teacher of life.
To be honest, I had no idea what it means until I was much older :-) but I always drew pretty flowers on that first page anyway :-)

Your dad lived in a mine? Do you mean the building where miners changed their clothes and showered? Or underground?

Underground.
Though, the entrance to the cave was in the side of a cliff, so technically, it was more a "Pueblo" type dwelling.

Montezuma.Castle.jpg

Montezuma Castle

On December 8, 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt celebrated the passage of the Antiquities Act by declaring four sites of historic and cultural significance as our nation's first National Monuments. Among these was Montezuma Castle, which the President identified as a place "of the greatest ethnological value and scientific interest." Although very few original artifacts remained in the structure due to intensive looting of the site, Roosevelt's decision assured the continued protection of one of the best preserved prehistoric cliff dwellings in North America.

Montezuma Castle National Monument quickly became a destination for America's first car-bound tourists. In 1933, "Castle A", a 45-50 room, pueblo ruin was excavated,

Though, his was just a bunch of wood nailed across the front.
He was after all, just one guy, and not, a nation.

Likes lisab
OmCheeto said:
Underground.
Though, the entrance to the cave was in the side of a cliff, so technically, it was more a "Pueblo" type dwelling.

Montezuma.Castle.jpg
Though, his was just a bunch of wood nailed across the front.
He was after all, just one guy, and not, a nation.
:bugeye: What's the material of those walls? I like how it looks.

zoobyshoe said:
Awesome! I want to build something out of that! :partytime:

A fort maybe? My own fort, bwahahahaha! I'll allow you to enter zooby. :smile:

Psinter: "zoobyshoe on sight! Open the gates!" :biggrin:

Impressive durability in that wall material, wouldn't you say?. I wonder why its not marketed more aggressively ?

1oldman2 said:
Impressive durability in that wall material, wouldn't you say?. I wonder why its not marketed more aggressively ?
I agree. No idea.