Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Perhaps I spoke too soon. Could this be what the future holds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I imagining things here, or did the font change ever-so-slightly on these forums in the past couple of days?

Something's off... something..seems strange.

OmCheeto said:
Underground.
Though, the entrance to the cave was in the side of a cliff, so technically, it was more a "Pueblo" type dwelling.

Montezuma.Castle.jpg
Though, his was just a bunch of wood nailed across the front.
He was after all, just one guy, and not, a nation.
Wow that's something! I guess lots of people especially men dream of living in something like that and your father's dream came true!
When you guys go to the Tiki island you can use that material to build your dwelling!

Scams when you travel: http://imgur.com/gallery/hJBQxzw

Good thing I don't travel. I think the most effective must be The Fake Policemen. I mean, police almost always infuse/instill fear into people by mere presence and you will be probably too scared of going to jail in a foreign country. It says that one is common in Mexico City, Bogotá, Bucharest, Bangkok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Sophia
Sophia said:
Wow that's something! I guess lots of people especially men dream of living in something like that and your father's dream came true!
After he retired, at the astonishing age of 38, he did live that way, for most of his remaining years. He spent the first 20 years in Alaska along the Yukon river. Then the remaining time in Arizona in the high desert mountains. For the last few years, when he was around 75, he abandoned the abandoned mine life, and got a small house in a nearby town.

But the cave thing was probably more for practical reasons, as he also had a small shack that he lived in during the summer.
Let's see, low temperature for Yavapai County for this week is today, @ -8°C. High temperature will be 22°C next Wednesday.
Yup. Makes total sense to live in a cave, with those extremes.
When you guys go to the Tiki island you can use that material to build your dwelling!

hmmm... I don't imagine the need for too many dwellings. Here's a picture of my future house:

hammock.at.the.tiki.bar.jpg

Likes Sophia, lisab, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
One of the saddest dialogues I've had this year:
"Good that I don't have the money to travel anymore. It would be embarrassing these days to be American."
"Pretend you're Canadian. Most won't realize the difference."
"I've done this before."

I always fall asleep once lying on a hammock. ?:)

fresh_42 said:
"Good that I don't have the money to travel anymore. It would be embarrassing these days to be American."
"I've done this before."
:oldbiggrin: But that makes me sound like an American star living in an American dream, yet a falling one.:DD

fresh_42 said:
"I've done this before."
Yeah. But the fact that Americans can so openly debate and discuss crazy issues and crazy viewpoints is the good part.

I'll grant you that one or two sides of the discussions are embarrassing, if not outright depressing here and there. That's true. :oops:

But the fact that such discussions are allowed to happen (and even encouraged) in the first place keeps me optimistic in my opinion. :smile: After careful consideration I wouldn't have it any other way.

Likes einswine, lisab, Silicon Waffle and 2 others
collinsmark said:
But the fact that such discussions are allowed to happen (and even encouraged) in the first place keeps me optimistic in my opinion. :smile: After careful consideration I wouldn't have it any other way.
Me, too. It's not a gift, it's an achievement which many nowadays unfortunately take for granted. It's similar to this somehow artificial concept called EU. I'd wish people would remember the times before. Then they probably wouldn't risk it so easily as they seemingly do nowadays. Idiots in political offices. Discussing embarrassing points of view is one thing. I only wished those morons weren't followed by so many. And this isn't an American problem alone. Nationalists and racists gain ground in Europe. Politicians often are so incredibly stupid that it is hard to stand that they are still elected. The distinguishing issue about America however is that this upcoming election might affect the rest of the world as well. Having this in mind it frightens me to see most of the candidates. (To be honest I've only seen 2 or 3 which I weren't afraid of, and one of them with apparently no chance.)

I guess fresh_42 might have eaten some bad food for thought today. You sound totally different from what you did yesterday. Horrible!

Silicon Waffle said:
I guess fresh_42 might have eaten some bad food for thought today. You sound totally different from what you did yesterday. Horrible!
No. Toothaches ...

fresh_42 said:
No. Toothaches ...
So you won't be able to bite me then.

Random thought, What would the world be like if people would be more accepting and tolerant, less judgmental with more open mindedness, not being fixed bigoted with a focused narrow minded ideology, less rigid, more open to opposing Ideas given the benefit of the doubt and yet maintain analytical objectivity? World changing perhaps?

gjonesy said:
Random thought, What would the world be like if people would be more accepting and tolerant, less judgmental with more open mindedness, not being fixed bigoted with a focused narrow minded ideology, less rigid, more open to opposing Ideas given the benefit of the doubt and yet maintain analytical objectivity? World changing perhaps?

Utopia maybe.

Likes Sophia and gjonesy
Silicon Waffle said:
So you won't be able to bite me then.
That's relative on who wants to bite you. You never know if fresh_42 looks like this: http://memegenerator.net/instance/59417216
:oldlaugh: :-p

EDIT:
yFTBMw1.jpg

I cannot argue with that. :rolleyes:

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
When you write a big lengthy forum post and someone replies you with only 2 words: :rolleyes:

funny-granma-letter-grandpa.jpg

Likes 1oldman2 and Silicon Waffle
Psinter said:
That's relative on who wants to bite you. You never know if fresh_42 looks like this: http://memegenerator.net/instance/59417216
:oldlaugh: :-p
Sure I will think again.
EDIT:
yFTBMw1.jpg

I cannot argue with that. :rolleyes:
:DD I would laugh my x off if I happen to grade any of such a paper test's answers.

Likes Psinter
Here is a random thought, A friend and I were discussing meanings of old terms/words. The phrase "don't let the cat out of the bag" comes up and I say that refers to the cat O' nine tails which was kept in a bag on board ships. Friend says no way! where can I get the truth on this?. We also can't agree on "freezing the balls off a brass monkey". I say the "monkey" was a platform that held the cannon balls on old ships, Friend says no way!. Can somebody help me look smarter than my friend here, or give me an idea where to find this info?. o_O Being somewhat bored I have taken the liberty of searching these phrases and it seems neither my friend or myself were likely correct. (File under things I learned today)

Last edited:
Psinter said:
Awesome! I want to build something out of that! :partytime:
:biggrin:

Just write a file and save it as a .pdf.

WWGD said:
Just write a file and save it as a .pdf.
Haha. Very funny. (-.-)

Psinter said:
Haha. Very funny.
Did you really expect a good joke from me :) ? C'mmon, you know me better.

Likes Psinter
WWGD said:
Did you really expect a good joke from me :) ? C'mmon, you know me better.
I'll take you here and then hear your jokes:

:oldlaugh: It's a joke.
Sophia said:
That's why I hated History. It's only war, war, war and revolutions. And memorizing years. Booooriiiing!
So, what did you learn about Napoleon and Hitler's attempts to invade Russia?
61217913.jpg
Come on, you can say it without looking at the spoiler. :wink:

Likes Ibix and Sophia
fresh_42 said:
No. Toothaches ...
That's unpleasant, I'm sorry. I hope you'll be able to go to the dentist and solve it ASAP.

1oldman2 said:
Here is a random thought, A friend and I were discussing meanings of old terms/words. The phrase "don't let the cat out of the bag" comes up and I say that refers to the cat O' nine tails which was kept in a bag on board ships. Friend says no way! where can I get the truth on this?. We also can't agree on "freezing the balls off a brass monkey". I say the "monkey" was a platform that held the cannon balls on old ships, Friend says no way!. Can somebody help me look smarter than my friend here, or give me an idea where to find this info?. o_O Being somewhat bored I have taken the liberty of searching these phrases and it seems neither my friend or myself were likely correct. (File under things I learned today)
Try googling the word / phrase + etymology

Flash news on tv:
TPP signed : Japan, Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam...
The US estimates to earn $131B from this annually.
Disgraced ex-IMF chief joins Ukrainian bank.

Probably trivial to some of you, but today I learned:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/441hsf/lpt_when_people_are_grieving_do_not_throw_your/ said:
When people are grieving, do not throw your story on top of theirs.

Sympathy is the ability to express ‘culturally acceptable’ condolences to another's plight.
Empathy is the ability to place yourself in someone else’s shoes and understand relate as best as you can to how that person feels in the situation.
Don’t assume that you know what others feel – listen to what they say, and remember to listen closely.
And realized I'm terrible at supporting. :confused: And probably will continue to be. But I'll try to get better. No promises thought.

Dammit, this is random thoughts! I thought this was Today I learned thread. :headbang:

Psinter said:
Dammit, this is random thoughts! I thought this was Today I learned thread. :headbang:
So remind me - what do I do here? Tell you a story about a time I posted on the wrong thread, or offer ways to help spot which thread you are on? :wink:

1oldman2 said:
"don't let the cat out of the bag"
We have the same idiom. However, without "not". Let the cat out of the bag. This let's me conclude that it is pretty old. It means to reveal your intentions, sometimes bad ones. Who let the cat out the bag cannot pretend anymore to have a rabbit, i.e. food in it.

Sophia said:
That's unpleasant, I'm sorry. I hope you'll be able to go to the dentist and solve it ASAP.
Thank you. It helped. Just back from a small surgery.

Likes Sophia
Ibix said:
So remind me - what do I do here? Tell you a story about a time I posted on the wrong thread, or offer ways to help spot which thread you are on? :wink:
Hehe. I'll take the story anytime. :biggrin:

You can me the latter and tell Psinter the former.

Likes Psinter
Silicon Waffle said:
TPP signed : Japan, Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam...
They finally did it eh? Pft, I'm not even going to comment.

Likes Silicon Waffle