Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,891
BornCane said:
I don't understand Boolean algebra

hasn't there been binary systems before Boole
China had a binary system, even Ancient Africa had a binary system
Africa had the Odu of Ifa system
Egypt, India etc. had the binary system as well
what made Boolean logic so different?

I can't speak for the history. "Boolean" algebra is not synonymous with a mathematical, base-2 system. They are different things.

Boolean algebra deals with concepts of True, False, not And and Or (among a few others). One can use Boolean functions to construct binary components. For example, in your computer's CPU in its arithmetic logic unit (ALU), things like binary adders can be broken down into many AND, OR, NOT, and XOR gates (including NAND and NOR gates, etc.)

These logical gates (AND, OR, etc.,) can be constructed out of transistors.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,892
rootone said:
Boolean is not just a means of counting as are other binary systems, it is also a formal system of logic,
so is that what separates it from other ancient binary systems?

• #1,893
Boolean this:
Screen shot 2016-03-18 at 2.42.13 PM.png

How many different girls are in this photo?

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/instagram-girls-mirror-photo-optical-illusion/?fb=dd

After much puzzlement, I think I found the answer.

Likes Psinter and Ibix
  • #1,894
collinsmark said:
I can't speak for the history. "Boolean" algebra is not synonymous with a mathematical, base-2 system. They are different things.

Boolean algebra deals with concepts of True, False, not And and Or (among a few others). One can use Boolean functions to construct binary components. For example, in your computer's CPU in its arithmetic logic unit (ALU), things like binary adders can be broken down into many AND, OR, NOT, and XOR gates (including NAND and NOR gates, etc.)

These logical gates (AND, OR, etc.,) can be constructed out of transistors.
this is the ancient africa Ifa system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifá that is binary

so you would differentiate this from Boolean Algebra?

• #1,896
Two? - and two mirrors?

• #1,897
rootone said:
Two? - and two mirrors?
but how can a mirror give reflection to another mirror?

• #1,898
rootone said:
Two? - and two mirrors?
IMO, the answer certainly must be found by thinking in terms of mirrors. The alternative, no mirrors, would require that it either be photoshopped, which would make it a stupid waste of time, or that the photographer had access to extremely rare phenomena.

• #1,899
BornCane said:
this is the ancient africa Ifa system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifá that is binary

so you would differentiate this from Boolean Algebra?
I don't even know where to start.

Let me repeat, Boolean algebra, in and of itself, is not a binary counting system. However, it can be used for many things from such things as analyzing somebody's argument to determine if it is a valid argument, to building hardware based, binary systems such as the one you used to write your post on or read this post on.

Ifá, on the other hand (If I understand the link correctly) is a system for performing religious, psychic divination. They are in completely different realms.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,900
zoobyshoe said:
How many different girls are in this photo?

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/instagram-girls-mirror-photo-optical-illusion/?fb=dd

After much puzzlement, I think I found the answer.
I see two.

There's a mirror perpendicular to the wall they're leaning against, sticking out where there is a black line. There is a second mirror just out of shot on the left. Probably the easiest way to visualise this is one of the booths where you can try clothes on in shops. There are mirrors on both side walls; the girls are sitting on a bench on the back wall using up all the space; the camera is pretty much pressed up against one wall near the door, looking across the booth on a slight diagonal.

That's my take, anyway.

• #1,901
Let me make up a quick example of what a Boolean expression is. For the purpose of this post I'll spell everything out instead of using symbolic shorthand.

Below represents a single Boolean expression that I just made up now, but for clarity, I'll break it up into several smaller expressions:

A, B, D, and E are input variables:

C is true if both A and B are true.
F is true if either D or E is true.
G is true if both E and A are true.
H is true if either "A is true" or "F is not true", but not both (if both "A is true" and "F is not true" are true, H is false).

J is true if C is true, G is false, and H is true.

So here is a question you can use Boolean algebra to help solve:
If we have:
A: True
B: True
D: False
E: False

What is J (True or False)?

That's a very simple Boolean problem. They can get a lot more complicated. This was just for a simple example.

Last edited:
  • #1,902
Ibix said:
I see two.
That is what I count also.

• #1,903
Two is certainly the minimum number of different girls there could be.

• #1,904
5b8870bc8b8ac6be45908a471cf8935a.jpg

name the 4 scientists left to right

• #1,905
zoobyshoe said:
Two is certainly the minimum number of different girls there could be.
According to my wife, anymore than one is big trouble.:wink:

• #1,906
BornCane said:

I get to name them? O.K.: Larry, Moe, Curly, Shemp.

• #1,907
BornCane said:

My guesses are
In order from left to right,

Albert Einstein
Isaac Newton
Charles Darwin
Nikola Tesla

• #1,908
collinsmark said:
My guesses are
In order from left to right,

Albert Einstein
Isaac Newton
Charles Darwin
Nikola Tesla
correct :)

the first 3 are pretty easy...but Tesla i thought would of been more tricky

• #1,909
BornCane said:
correct :)

the first 3 are pretty easy...but Tesla i thought would of been more tricky
Because Tesla seems to be holding a slim jim which has nothing to do with anything.

What the hell is that floppy stick thing supposed to be?

• #1,910
For consistency's sake, determine x in the following:

Apple:Newton = Scull:Darwin = x:Tesla

and

Apple:Newton = Scull:Darwin = x:Einstein

• #1,911
zoobyshoe said:
Because Tesla seems to be holding a slim jim which has nothing to do with anything.

aed0b99f4779e2af1e3afced8a7c5e5d.jpg

i think its suppose to be a lightbulb he is holding or whatever the heck this is

• #1,912
BornCane said:
i think its suppose to be a lightbulb he is holding or whatever the heck this is
He has something like that in his other hand. I'm asking about the thing in his left hand (far right in the picture) that looks like the meaty snack treat, a Slim Jim.

• #1,913
zoobyshoe said:

Good question. My guess is a cane, like this one from a statue of him (statue is displayed in Niagara Falls). I guess he's holding the cane in the middle in the miniature figurine.
npic15.jpg

[Source: http://www.teslasociety.com/niagarafalls_tesla.htm]

• #1,914
collinsmark said:
Good question. My guess is a cane, like this one from a statue of him (statue is displayed in Niagara Falls). I guess he's holding the cane in the middle for the miniature figurine.
Plausible.

But, I think a cane would not be a proper icon-object for him the way Newton's Apple is for Newton. What would a proper icon-object for Tesla be? And for Einstein?

• #1,915
BornCane said:

It looks like a squash.

kabak.png

• #1,917
Psinter said:
Two, but the bracelets confuse me. I can't see the bracelet of the girl who is looking directly into the mirror.
It could be that the bracelets, in any given reflection, are ultimately hidden from view due to being blocked by another wrist (or two). Since each reflection can be characterized by having its own perspective and angle (relative to the camera), this seems plausible. I.e., in some reflections the bracelets are blocked from view, but not in others.

It's tough to tell just by eyeballing it though.

Without detailed analysis though, I would guess there are just two girls.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,918
Sophia said:
... I don't know what's wrong with holding hands. I think holding hands is awesome. That's a question for some men.
Not really, A handshake between men is a very common gesture indicating agreement.

• #1,920
zoobyshoe said:
... it either be photoshopped ...
The background wall gets greener for the more distant girls which could be expected from multiple reflections through glass.
I don't think somebody 'shooping' would think about doing that.
WWGD said:
Can't see how Lewis Carroll got a hold of a camera.
HG Wells did.

Last edited:
  • #1,921
Screen shot 2016-03-18 at 2.42.13 PM.png

I think it's two sets of identical twins posed really carefully, but not perfectly. The fifth girl from the left seems to be looking right at the camera, while the first girl on the left is looking off to the left. The fifth is not a repetition of the first, therefore, but is the reflection of the fourth.

Notice that Girl #3 seems to be looking at the camera every time she repeats. That means both #2 and #3 were looking at the camera; #2 at a reflection of it, and #3 directly at it. However, girl #1 was looking to the left while girl #4 (her twin) was looking directly at a reflection of the camera.

Girl #6 has a cleft in her hair (look carefully) that can only be explained as a reflection of the back of the head of girl #3. The same cleft does not appear in the hair of girl #2.

• #1,922
BornCane said:

That leads me to the random thought, "Is a CRT just a fancy lightbulb?"

• #1,923
collinsmark said:
It could be that the bracelets, in any given reflection, are ultimately hidden from view due to being blocked by another wrist (or two). Since each reflection can be characterized by having its own perspective and angle (relative to the camera), this seems plausible. I.e., in some reflections the bracelets are blocked from view, but not in others.

It's tough to tell just by eyeballing it though.

Without detailed analysis though, I would guess there are just two girls.
I think so too.
zoobyshoe said:
View attachment 97551

I think it's two sets of identical twins posed really carefully, but not perfectly. The fifth girl from the left seems to be looking right at the camera, while the first girl on the left is looking off to the left. The fifth is not a repetition of the first, therefore, but is the reflection of the fourth.
The 5th from the left and the 1st are the same. Look at the piece of hair flying at the right of their heads making a circle. It's the same in both.

• #1,924
Psinter said:
I think so too.

The 5th from the left and the 1st are the same. Look at the piece of hair flying at the right of their heads making a circle. It's the same in both.
That piece of hair sticks straight out from the 5th girl. In the first girl, it curves down.

• #1,925
zoobyshoe said:
That piece of hair sticks straight out from the 5th girl. In the first girl, it curves down.
Are we talking about the same hair? It's the one that is almost invincible unless you zoom in.