Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,858
BornCane said:
is there a link to the paper on ArXiv?
That link I posted contains the true and complete extent of my knowledge on this subject.

• #1,859
zoobyshoe said:
That link I posted contains the true and complete extent of my knowledge on this subject.
It (also?) contains an arxiv link at the bottom: http://arxiv.org/abs/1603.03720

• #1,860
Tonight's episode of Better Call Saul was without doubt the most boring one they ever made. In fact, it is also the only boring one they ever made. Last week's was terrific. Tonight's had me yawning And I would like my money back.

• #1,862
Now this is cool

• #1,863
Uhm...red headed bear!

• #1,864
U.S President will celebrate St Patrick's as Barack O'Bama.

• #1,865
I've been trying to help at the Homework section of the forum, but the questions are either too hard for me or the ones that I can help with have already been answered. But it's okay. A day may come when I will help someone and then come back here to brag about the achievement of how much I helped someone with a homework.

Legendary :-p.

I remember when I was new and one time helped answer someone's question (not in the homework section and I also don't remember the someone, it was a long time ago) and that someone abandoned the thread and never replied. I felt stupid :sorry:. I was like: why he/she doesn't reply to deny or affirm whether the question has been answered? :frown:

Likes Pepper Mint and collinsmark
  • #1,866
Looking out of window and observing high school students going to their final exams. Young ladies and gentlemen, dressed as adults for the first time. High heels and decent dark costumes, suits and ties. Most wearing tiny green ribbons pinned to their jackets, symbol of youth and hope.
Excitement and fear, laughing with friends and trying to revise what was forgotten. Relief and uncertainty.
Gaudeamus igitur, iuvenes dum sumus!

• #1,867
Sophia said:
Looking out of window and observing high school students going to their final exams. Young ladies and gentlemen, dressed as adults for the first time. High heels and decent dark costumes, suits and ties. Most wearing tiny green ribbons pinned to their jackets, symbol of youth and hope.
Excitement and fear, laughing with friends and trying to revise what was forgotten. Relief and uncertainty.
Finals? We are in March (still half semester). I don't get it.

Anyway, it must be a nice high school. At my place they don't dress like that.
Sophia said:
No. Whatever you mean, no. :-p

• #1,868
Psinter said:
Let us rejoice, therefore,
While we are young.
After a pleasant youth
After a troubling old age
The Earth will have us.

Likes Pepper Mint and Psinter
  • #1,869
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur.

Likes Jonathan Scott and zoobyshoe
  • #1,870
zoobyshoe said:
While we are young.
After a pleasant youth
The Earth will have us.

:bugeye: That was something. :bow: I liked it... It deserves applause.

• #1,871
Psinter said:
Finals? We are in March (still half semester). I don't get it.

this is the first half. It is in written form that is the same at all schools in the country. It is marked centrally. To increase objectivity they say :-)
Oh still remember the fantastic theme they made up for essay in my finals.
"I suspect where the world is going, I wonder where the life will lead me " I think that 4 or 5 pages were required. I was like whaaaaaaaat? I had absolutely no idea what to write. I wanted to write one short vulgar sentence and leave but didn't dare :-) I got C. LoL
The oral part (traditional form) will be in May.

Last edited:
  • #1,872
zoobyshoe said:
While we are young.
After a pleasant youth
The Earth will have us.
Yup, that about sums it up. :smile:

• #1,873
poll.png

• #1,874
Sophia said:
"I suspect where the world is going, I wonder where the life will lead me " I think that 4 or 5 pages were required. I was like whaaaaaaaat? I had absolutely no idea what to write. I wanted to write one short vulgar sentence and leave but didn't dare :-)
With that subject I thought of doing the exact same thing. :DD

• #1,875
Breaking news! Right now in weather forecast: "the sun will shine until night" :-)

Likes Psinter
  • #1,876
What the h*ll Otto was doing in NK, Was his brain already turned into tofu which excused his travel there as a friendly visit for discoveries ? o0)

• #1,878
Sophia said:
Breaking news! Right now in weather forecast: "the sun will shine until night" :-)
I remember standing on a hilltop and seeing clouds casting shadows on the moorland below, and on other walkers down there. I commented to my mum that I wondered what it felt like to be in the shadow of a cloud. She replied that they just saw that the sun had gone behind a cloud.

I think that's the first time I remember that "click" sensation of knowledge slotting together, and the way the world changes when you suddenly see a pattern that has been there all along.

Likes 1oldman2, Sophia and zoobyshoe
  • #1,879
Everyone please I have an issue about the usage of plural and singular nouns in English.:smile:

• #1,880
So I've been wondering: when a couple gets married in a wedding, do they really kiss in front of all their family? Don't they feel embarrassed?

• #1,881
Psinter said:
So I've been wondering: when a couple gets married in a wedding, do they really kiss in front of all their family? Don't they feel embarrassed?
You mean heterosexual or homosexual couples ?
I think no, because people know each other well before marriage.

• #1,882
Pepper Mint said:
You mean heterosexual or homosexual couples ?
I think no, because people know each other well before marriage.
Either. Kissing is kissing. I think they would be embarrassed. I would. I would tell the other side to just hold hands. And even then holding hands is still embarrassing. :blushing:

• #1,883
Psinter said:
Either. Kissing is kissing. I think they would be embarrassed. I would. I would tell the other side to just hold hands. And even then holding hands is still embarrassing. :blushing:
I think their parents probably saw them kissing before (either as lovers or causally if they spent New year or Christmas together) Nowadays it is common to live together before marriage so their parents know / assume they already had sex. So kissing at the altar is only a symbolic act.

• #1,884
Sophia said:
I think their parents probably saw them kissing before (either as lovers or causally if they spent New year or Christmas together) Nowadays it is common to live together before marriage so their parents know / assume they already had sex. So kissing at the altar is only a symbolic act.
I wouldn't do it. I don't know if you would be embarrassed, but I would be embarrassed with capital E. I don't care if others do it, but me? Nope.

I read somewhere (I don't remember where) someone mocking another person by saying: Don't tell me you sleep everyday with your wife and all you do is hold hands all night.

But I thought: What's wrong with just holding hands? These guys do it and I think it's adorable :oldshy::

Likes Sophia
  • #1,885
Psinter said:
I wouldn't do it. I don't know if you would be embarrassed, but I would be embarrassed with capital E. I don't care if others do it, but me? Nope.

I read somewhere (I don't remember where) someone mocking another person by saying: Don't tell me you sleep everyday with your wife and all you do is hold hands all night.

But I thought: What's wrong with just holding hands? These guys do it and I think it's adorable :oldshy::

Awwww so cute!
I don't know what's wrong with holding hands. I think holding hands is awesome. That's a question for some men.

• #1,886
That's what I also thought. Holding hands is nice and okay... Except with Rose from Titanic... Don't hold hands with her, she will let go of you when you sleep. :DD

Likes Sophia
  • #1,887
Does anyone believe their is a conflict between scientists and philosophers today in academia?

• #1,889
I don't understand Boolean algebra

hasn't there been binary systems before Boole

China had a binary system, even Ancient Africa had a binary system

Africa had the Odu of Ifa system

Egypt, India etc. had the binary system as well

what made Boolean logic so different?

• #1,890
Boolean is not just a means of counting as are other binary systems, it is also a formal system of logic,