Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,171
Borg said:
I think that you would have massive gridlock if they didn't do that. Streets are similar in DC except that it's letters and numbers. N-S streets are numbers and E-W are A, B, C, D, etc. The main trick here is that there are four of everything because the origination point is the capital. So, if someone tells you to meet them at 4th and D, you have to know if they mean NW, NE, SE or SW!
Unless you meet in 4D(imensions) ??!??

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,172
WWGD said:
In NYC we have a grid system with streets going E-W and avenues going N-S and there are good signals and easy to tell if you are in a street or avenue.
Now I see :-)

• #2,173
WWGD said:
In NYC we have a grid system with streets going E-W and avenues going N-S and there are good signals and easy to tell if you are in a street or avenue.
Actually, not quite. They're a few degrees off. The Museum of Modern Art in NYC sells (or did a few years ago when I was there) a New York compass, with cardinal points of "uptown", "downtown", "east side" and "west side". :biggrin:

• #2,174
Ibix said:
Actually, not quite. They're a few degrees off. The Museum of Modern Art in NYC sells (or did a few years ago when I was there) a New York compass, with cardinal points of "uptown", "downtown", "east side" and "west side". [emoji3]
I will buy one of those of I ever go to NYC :-) it would be both useful and much more interesting souvenir than a magnet or postcard :-)

• #2,175
Ibix said:
Actually, not quite. They're a few degrees off. The Museum of Modern Art in NYC sells (or did a few years ago when I was there) a New York compass, with cardinal points of "uptown", "downtown", "east side" and "west side". :biggrin:
No problem, I am a few degrees off myself :).

• #2,176
Sophia said:
How do Americans always know where is East or West? They always say things like : go North or go South. When you are first in a city do you immediately look at the sun trying to guess where did it rise in the morning? And how can you still get the direction of you turn a couple of times?
I know how to determine world sides according to shadows, stars, the way anthills are build or by the moss growing on trees. But how do you use these in a city? And when you are in a hurry! Why not simply say go left or right?
I've moved to two cities cold with no knowledge of the streets and the first thing I did was get a map. Most, but not all, cities are essentially grid-like. Both Minneapolis and San Diego have about half their streets and highways running roughly north/south, and the other half roughly east/west. In Minneapolis north/south streets were named "avenues" and east/west streets were "streets."

In San Diego its the reverse, most "avenues" are east/west and "streets" are north/south. Generally there is some kind of 'center' from which all the counting starts, so you can tell if you're going one direction or another by whether the street addresses are getting higher or lower in number.

Now, that's fine for a lot of cities, but it won't get you anywhere in, say, Boston where the street layout was designed by SATAN himself.

Likes Sophia
  • #2,177
I admit that there is something I can do several times in a day and don't get bored with. Maybe I only get tired but the urge keeps lingering on and seems to never stop. I think I have had some correct chemical intakes.

• #2,178
zoobyshoe said:
Now, that's fine for a lot of cities, but it won't get you anywhere in, say, Boston where the street layout was designed by SATAN himself.

Just try to imagine Satan planning the map and laughing hysterically :-)

BTW today I learned: I always thought that avenues are wider/larger than streets. Now I see that it doesn't have to be so.

• #2,179
Pepper Mint said:
I admit that there is something I can do several times in a day and don't get bored with. Maybe I only get tired but the urge keeps lingering on and seems to never stop. I think I have had some correct chemical intakes.
Do you mean what I think? 8-0

• #2,180
I once accidentally sent a couple to the wrong mountain. They saw me running on a solitary road and asked me for directions. It wasn't until later that day that I realized I gave them the wrong directions. Oops. Edit: Anyway, they were close, I assume they found more people and asked them.

They ask Psinter how to get to Mordor and Psinter accidentally sends them to the Lonely Mountains. But with a serious face and in a very confident tone, like very confident that the directions are right.

Last edited:
  • #2,181
Psinter said:
I once accidentally sent a couple to the wrong mountain. They saw me running on a solitary road and asked me for directions. It wasn't until later that day that I realized I gave them the wrong directions. Oops.

They ask Psinter how to get to Mordor and Psinter accidentally sends them to the Lonely Mountains. But with a serious face and in a very confident tone, like very confident that the directions are right.
Maybe you are their guardian angel. If they went to Mordor something terrible would have happened.
But!
There was Psinter to send them elsewhere and saved their lives! Psinter is a hero!

Likes Psinter
  • #2,182
Sophia said:
Maybe you are their guardian angel. If they went to Mordor something terrible would have happened.
But!
There was Psinter to send them elsewhere and saved their lives! Psinter is a hero!
:DD

• #2,183
Sophia said:
But!
Unless they were trying to destroy the one ring! :nb)

Likes Psinter and Sophia
  • #2,184
Proofreading is an underappreciated endeavour.

GMU law school renaming after Antonin Scalia hits snag
George Mason University recently renamed its law school after the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia -- and then quickly realized the acronym that name created was problematic.
The school first announced it would change the name to The Antonin Scalia School of Law, or ASSoL, after receiving an anonymous $30 million donation on March 31.
Uh, who came up with that one? :olduhh:

Likes zoobyshoe and WWGD
  • #2,185
  • #2,186
Caracas Venezuela is more dangerous in terms of its murder rate than Baghdad. My friend who lives there told me that now people who
go to parties stay to sleep at the host's home overnight and return to their homes at sunrise, to avoid being in the streets after dark.

Last edited:
  • #2,187
Sophia said:
Do you mean what I think? 8-0
Maybe so until I know what is 8-0.

• #2,188
Pepper Mint said:
10-4.

• #2,189
Honestly, there was time I was fully "infected" with numerology; every single number seemed to always have a meaning to me.
Here is a list I learned for fun.
0: egg
1: <don't bet on my favorite morning fast food>
2: rubber duck
3: <asymmetrical topless>
4: <for you or for me>
5: you're so fine, rock or good
6: you're so sick!
7: it's heaven
8 : boy
9: gay, girl or naive

• #2,190
Pepper Mint said:
it was supposed to be this emoticon :woot: but id didn't show properly :wink:

• #2,191
Why children and young adults need experienced adult supervision!

Student's promising life cut short by failed experiment
https://www.yahoo.com/news/student-killed-homemade-rocket-had-bright-future-084646574.html

A homemade chemical rocket attached to a skateboard blew up Monday night, mortally injuring Moon, who died at a hospital. His 17-year-old friend suffered minor injuries.
This is why PF restricts or otherwise prohibits discussion of dangerous activities, and recommends those interested seek proper supervision, and in some cases, approval of authorities.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,193
Grmbl went to bed around 11, woke up at 4:15 am.
Better get a head start I suppose although it's cold and the heater is apparently broken.

• #2,194
I have found relations of Canada and USA but still don't understand why Australia enters the scene?

• #2,195
JorisL said:
Grmbl went to bed around 11, woke up at 4:15 am.
Better get a head start I suppose although it's cold and the heater is apparently broken.

Leave it to Tool to get me in a better mood

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,196
Username and Password

• #2,197
Saw this on a car today. :oldtongue:

c130.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and zoobyshoe
  • #2,198
Today I've overheard two men about 60+ talking. One of them was telling the other one that his wife beats him. The second man laughed. The first one seemed stressed and repeated that she beats him much and that it hurts and it looked like he was about to cry. The second man said something funny again.
It's strange how the society has become sensitive to domestic violence against women, but remains indifferent to violence against men.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,199
Sophia said:
Today I've overheard two men about 60+ talking. One of them was telling the other one that his wife beats him. The second man laughed. The first one seemed stressed and repeated that she beats him much and that it hurts and it looked like he was about to cry. The second man said something funny again.
It's strange how the society has become sensitive to domestic violence against women, but remains indifferent to violence against men.
A man I knew had the same problems, beaten by his girlfiend and police would laugh at him when he reported it.

Likes Sophia
  • #2,200
Sophia said:
In most , maybe all countries, Women's movement is much better organized politically than the Men's movement, which is almost nonexistent.

• #2,201
Maybe because he loves her so he doesn't want to hurt her. It seems ridiculous to me hear that a strong man can't slap a woman, even grab her neck or smack her down. :biggrin:

• #2,202
Pepper Mint said:
Maybe because he loves her so he doesn't want to hurt her. It seems ridiculous to me hear that a strong man can't slap a woman, even grab her neck or smack her down. :biggrin:
Maybe because they will end up in jail if they do, even if they are defending themselves. Laws in this respect tend to favor women over men. Or they may be psychologically weak, or psychologically dominated, intimidated by their wife.

Likes Sophia and Pepper Mint
  • #2,203
Yes, I like your reply, but I think we care too much about people's private issues. They might be just making dramas or movies.

• #2,204
Sophia said:
http://www.news.com.au/national/hidden-epidemic-of-women-beating-up-men/story-e6frfkvr-1225869842575

This is underreported and under studied. I would like to find out if there's a typical mental illness associated with spousal abuse, like, say bipolar disorder, which seems likely. Manic episodes are by no means always positive in mood. Mania is often irritable/angry mania, and a person can become quite irrationally aggressive.

The problem is probably often compounded by drug or alcohol abuse, so it's hard to sort out.

• #2,205
WWGD said:
In most , maybe all countries, Women's movement is much better organized politically than the Men's movement, which is almost nonexistent.

Since men usually get laughed away they just tend to "suck it up" so to speak, as society tells us from a young age.