Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,206
JorisL said:
Since men usually get laughed away they just tend to "suck it up" so to speak, as society tells us from a young age.
Indeed. I don't know in Belgium, but we have the saying " Men Don't Cry". Edit: Men and women are expected to fulfill behavioral expectations in their respective societies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,207
I just poured some yoghurt over some blackberries and ate it with a spoon. It was delicious. Go thou and do likewise.

Likes Sophia
  • #2,208
I was reading some more on how showering and cleaning without using soap helps the skin remain young and healthy. Still, I will resist the temptation of telling a woman with nice skin : " I bet you don't use soap very often".

Likes Sophia
  • #2,209
I definitely like the Tuna snak paks. They put in a bit of mayo, spice in the Tuna and the snack includes a small pack of crackers. Tasty, much more so than the regular Tuna packs with only oil or water.

• #2,210
Jeremy Wade came face to face with the oarfish!

• #2,211
After a week of sunshine, trees and grass are slowly becoming green!

47e3552fde725ae2e4965eb2fda77ed7.jpg

Likes Kevin McHugh
  • #2,212
WWGD said:
I was reading some more on how showering and cleaning without using soap helps the skin remain young and healthy. Still, I will resist the temptation of telling a woman with nice skin : " I bet you don't use soap very often".
It's true. If I use a regular shower gel with SLS and fragrance my skin gets very tight, dry and flaky. This is especially true for face. Many people think that if their face is tight after washing it's good but it actually means that the skin is dry and protective barrier has been damaged.
I have to use gentle cleansers from pharmacy. They are slightly more expensive but it's not that bad.

Likes Evo
  • #2,213
We're all here because we're not all there.

• #2,214
zoobyshoe said:
I just poured some yoghurt over some blackberries and ate it with a spoon. It was delicious. Go thou and do likewise.

I make my own jam with whatever fresh fruit is available. Mix the jam with some yogurt, and your taste buds are having a party!

Likes Sophia
  • #2,215
Kevin McHugh said:
We're all here because we're not all there.
We're just in a different there in here.

Last edited:
Likes Enigman
  • #2,216
Sophia said:
I'm reading Twilight (yes, THAT Twilight :-) ) and this reminded me of a long term mystery.
How old are you? That novel is not for kids, I'm telling your parents.

I'm just kidding with you :-p. I don't even know if novels have age rating systems. o0)

I got bitten and stung by ants while digging some earth. :confused: I did not see I was actually digging on top of a colony and when I came to feel it I had a bunch of them on my feet curled up, biting, and stinging o:).

Of all the spots to dig I had to choose the one exactly on top of a colony :doh:.

• #2,217
Psinter said:
How old are you? That novel is not for kids, I'm telling your parents.

I'm just kidding with you :-p. I don't even know if novels have age rating systems. o0)

I got bitten and stung by ants while digging some earth. :confused: I did not see I was actually digging on top of a colony and when I came to feel it I had a bunch of them on my feet curled up, biting, and stinging o:).

Of all the spots to dig I had to choose the one exactly on top of a colony :doh:.
Haha I am already 10 years adult (though until about 2yrs ago I was often asked for my ID card when buying beer :-p legal age here is 18 but with my 150cm I look like a 5th grader :-D).
I'm reading twilight just for fun, it's so stupid :-) in fact, I'm reading it in order to write a negative review on Goodreads :-) but it's a good book for relaxation when you're not in mood for thinking. Reading twilight is an equivalent to watching soap opera or reality show.

I'm sorry about the ants. Hope you're not allergic to them. What kind of ants have you got there? I guess they are more aggressive than those living in temperate climate. Even these can hurt quite a lot.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,218
A nice night of British police television: Luther and Scott and Bailey.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,219
It's unfair. You've probably seen mine but I've never seen yours.

• #2,220
Sophia said:
Haha I am already 10 years adult (though until about 2yrs ago I was often asked for my ID card when buying beer :-p legal age here is 18 but with my 150cm I look like a 5th grader :-D).
I'm reading twilight just for fun, it's so stupid :-) in fact, I'm reading it in order to write a negative review on Goodreads :-) but it's a good book for relaxation when you're not in mood for thinking. Reading twilight is an equivalent to watching soap opera or reality show.
Haha. Should I read it? Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe I should stick with literary and artistic works I like better. I've never been a novel reader.

Hihi, I cannot possibly visualize 150cm.
Sophia said:
I'm sorry about the ants. Hope you're not allergic to them. What kind of ants have you got there? I guess they are more aggressive than those living in temperate climate. Even these can hurt quite a lot.
No hassle. I always got bitten and stung by them when I was a kid. Never had an allergic reaction. They are small where I am right now. My visual approximation is that they are about 0.50cm to about 1cm being a queen (one that isn't yet pregnant).

• #2,221
I overheard a story from a guy a couple stools down from me (the guy wasn't talking to me, but rather the couple sitting next to me). He related a psychedelic experience after getting pretty messed up. As his story goes, he woke up and continued eating a sandwich that he had with him in a park by himself. He recounted seeing ants all over his sandwich and ants all over his face and chest. Attributing the anomaly to hallucinogenics, he blew it off and took another bite of his sandwich.

As it turned out apparently, it wasn't a hallucination at all. He had passed out (alcohol induced) next to a tree. Ants had taken over the situation. Honest to god ants. They invaded his mayonnaise covered chest, sandwich and face. He realized this only after eating a mouthful of ant sandwich.

Likes WWGD, Psinter, Pepper Mint and 1 other person
  • #2,222
It's a tough time for corporate CEOs.

Median pay for the CEOs of nearly 300 large publicly traded companies slipped 3.8% to $10.8 million last year from $11.2 million in 2014, a Wall Street Journal analysis of compensation data from MyLogIQ found. Half of those CEOs saw total pay either decline or rise by less than 1%—also the worst showing for S&P 500 chiefs since the 2008 crisis.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ceo-pay-shrank-most-since-003300877.html#

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,223
Astronuc said:

Those poor souls. My heart bleeds for them (not). I've often ventured you could eliminate every CEO position in the country, and it would not make one bit of difference to the bottom line, market share, or share price. With the exception of a few, they are merely figure heads.

• #2,224
collinsmark said:
I overheard a story from a guy a couple stools down from me (the guy wasn't talking to me, but rather the couple sitting next to me). He related a psychedelic experience after getting pretty messed up. As his story goes, he woke up and continued eating a sandwich that he had with him in a park by himself. He recounted seeing ants all over his sandwich and ants all over his face and chest. Attributing the anomaly to hallucinogenics, he blew it off and took another bite of his sandwich.

As it turned out apparently, it wasn't a hallucination at all. He had passed out (alcohol induced) next to a tree. Ants had taken over the situation. Honest to god ants. They invaded his mayonnaise covered chest, sandwich and face. He realized this only after eating a mouthful of ant sandwich.
I giggled a little with this story.

If I had so many ants over me I would have gotten very antsy...... http://www.anothersadtrombone.com/

Maybe now I can enter the Hall of Lame with that one.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,225
collinsmark said:

Something similar, smaller scale just happened to me before I read your post. I was eating my cereal. I had left the cereal bowl in the sink and I had sprayed some air freshener. I just tasted some of the residuals of the air freshener in my cereal. Maybe I will have a fresher digestive system.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,226
Astronuc said:

But I would bet they get to keep their golden parachutes.

• #2,227
WWGD said:

How big should a literal instance of such a object be to be a functional parachute?

• #2,228
WWGD said:
I don't think they need any of such agreements since most of them receive at least $10m per year (10% of which I wish I were given is so much enough for my retirement :biggrin:)

• #2,229
Pepper Mint said:
I don't think they need any of such agreements since most of them receive at least $10m per year (10% of which I wish I were given is so much enough for my retirement :biggrin:)
Many neither need it nor deserve it but will likely get it.

• #2,230
JorisL said:
How big should a literal instance of such a object be to be a functional parachute?
This is just an expression meaning they will get very nice financial compensation if they are fired. I doubt an actual functional parachute could be made of gold :).

• #2,231
WWGD said:
This is just an expression meaning they will get very nice financial compensation if they are fired. I doubt an actual functional parachute could be made of gold :).

I know the expression, it exists in Dutch as well, wonder if it exists in french...
Although the original expression talks of a golden handshake.

*Googling intensifies*
Turns out it does.

• #2,232
JorisL said:
I know the expression, it exists in Dutch as well, wonder if it exists in french...
Although the original expression talks of a golden handshake.

*Googling intensifies*
Turns out it does.
The expression in French has a certain, as the French would say, " I don't know what" :).

• #2,234
In the Lord Tedric stories the King always wears golden armour. This gets him killed in many parallel universes (since gold armour is an obvious target, heavy and not very strong) except, in one universe, Tedric persuades him to wear gold leaf on steel.

Kevlar threads in a gold leaf matrix might make a parachute canopy. No idea where to start the maths on checking that...

• #2,235
I wonder how visible the Dragon spacecraft is while it's catching up with the ISS? I expect it's a minute or two behind it in the same orbit. The shuttle used to be visible but that was much larger. I'll go outside and look now, as the ISS is due to pass over here in a couple of minutes.

• #2,236
Jonathan Scott said:
I expect it's a minute or two behind it in the same orbit.
... actually, about 80 seconds behind it, based on counting from when ISS passed a particular star until the Dragon passed it (as I can't see my watch in the dark). It's clearly visible, but obviously much less bright than ISS or the shuttle.

Likes JorisL
  • #2,237
collinsmark said:
He realized this only after eating a mouthful of ant sandwich.
"A mouthful of ant sandwich," should be adopted as an idiom. I'm not sure what it might be used to mean though. The instances where people realize suspected hallucinations are actually real events are few and far between.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,238
zoobyshoe said:
"A mouthful of ant sandwich," should be adopted as an idiom. I'm not sure what it might be used to mean though. The instances where people realize suspected hallucinations are actually real events are few and far between.
Ditto many times over for the supernatural.

• #2,239
zoobyshoe said:
Hallucinations no, but I've had a few instances in my life where my analysis of a situation was way off base and the difference between analysis and reality was rather shocking. I wired a diode into a circuit the wrong way round once so, instead of shorting the back EMF from a relay's solenoid, it shorted the solenoid. I thought there was something wrong with the input signal that was trying to switch the relay and was investigating this hypothesis. The feeling of dawning realisation accompanying the sequence of thoughts (1) what's that burning smell? (2) why is that diode glowing? (3) why is the stripe at the wrong end of its package? (4) understanding! (5) unplug unplug unplug could be well described by "a mouthful of ant sandwich".

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,240
Ibix said:
Hallucinations no, but I've had a few instances in my life where my analysis of a situation was way off base and the difference between analysis and reality was rather shocking. I wired a diode into a circuit the wrong way round once so, instead of shorting the back EMF from a relay's solenoid, it shorted the solenoid. I thought there was something wrong with the input signal that was trying to switch the relay and was investigating this hypothesis. The feeling of dawning realisation accompanying the sequence of thoughts (1) what's that burning smell? (2) why is that diode glowing? (3) why is the stripe at the wrong end of its package? (4) understanding! (5) unplug unplug unplug could be well described by "a mouthful of ant sandwich".
We've all had our ant sandwiches.