Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,311
WWGD said:
No, that was the Relationships Intersection Dentistry forum. Best damn forum ever in PF. For some reason they canceled it. May be the CIA, pretty sure.
So where did the previous owner hide ? I guess CIA used to enter the scene to investigate a lot of tax issues.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,312
zoobyshoe said:
Friend of mine went to the emergency room last night with abdominal pain. They took his appendix out this morning. He's in his 40s. I always thought that was a kid's condition, like, if it's going to go bad, it goes bad before you're 18. Apparently not.
Happened to a colleague of mine in his early thirties. He went home at lunchtime with a dodgy tummy. His wife called emergency services when she got home at sixish and he was appendixless by midnight. I hope you friend is doing ok.

• #2,313
Ibix said:
Happened to a colleague of mine in his early thirties. He went home at lunchtime with a dodgy tummy. His wife called emergency services when she got home at sixish and he was appendixless by midnight. I hope you friend is doing ok.
I also know a guy who got this in his late thirties.

• #2,314
Ibix said:
He's doing fine. Probably get out tomorrow.

I googled and it seems it really is a kids condition, primarily affecting people between 9 and 25. The older you get the less likely it is you'll experience this.

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/25845.pdf

The chart there doesn't even bother to go beyond 50.

• #2,315
I had no idea of that - as far as I am aware my colleague is the only person I know who has had it and he had it at 30-something. That's the danger of small sample sizes and biased sampling, I guess. :wink:

Likes 1oldman2
  • #2,316
I think I was just eat by a school of fish. :oldconfused:

eat.jpg

• #2,317
Anyone up for some analysis? :biggrin:
LHC data at your fingertips (04/22/16)
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/lhc-data-at-your-fingertips
Page said:
Today the CMS collaboration at CERN released more than 300 terabytes (TB) of high-quality open data. These include more than 100 TB of data from proton collisions at 7 TeV, making up half the data collected at the LHC by the CMS detector in 2011. This release follows a previous one from November 2014, which made available around 27 TB of research data collected in 2010.

The data are available on the CERN Open Data Portal and come in two types. The primary datasets are in the same format used by the collaboration to perform research. The derived datasets, on the other hand, require a lot less computing power and can be readily analyzed by university or high school students.

• #2,318
Likes 1oldman2 and DennisN
  • #2,319
mango.jpg

I just ate the whole mango served like this, wonderful!

• #2,320
I see a member on PF named Bradley and that reminds me of the author of "Teach yourself XXX in 24 hours.". I miss old days, if only Brad were also here. :biggrin:

• #2,321
The Higgs Boson walks into a church. The priest says we don't allow Higgs Bosons in here. The Higgs Boson says but without me how can you have mass?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and Ibix
  • #2,323
The Meyle Dimmer Relay contains no remanufactured components, and is designed to operate in either city or highway driving.
http://catalog.importrp.com/catalog-3/parttype/dimmer-relay/volkswagen/1972

The dimmer relay controls whether your high beams or low beams are on, so this claim: "is designed to operate in either city or highway driving" is as about as special as, say, Firestone, claiming your tires are designed to operate day or night, or Corning claiming your rearview mirror glass is designed to operate winter or summer.

Are anyone's dimmer relays designed to operate only in the city or only on the highway? Is there a name for this kind of vacuous boast?

Likes JorisL
  • #2,324
zoobyshoe said:
Are anyone's dimmer relays designed to operate only in the city or only on the highway? Is there a name for this kind of vacuous boast?

I'd call it politics, or bad product design if it matters whether you drive 50 km/h or 120 km/h.

• #2,325
zoobyshoe said:
http://catalog.importrp.com/catalog-3/parttype/dimmer-relay/volkswagen/1972

The dimmer relay controls whether your high beams or low beams are on, so this claim: "is designed to operate in either city or highway driving" is as about as special as, say, Firestone, claiming your tires are designed to operate day or night, or Corning claiming your rearview mirror glass is designed to operate winter or summer.

Not a vacuous boast :). Now let me get back to my $5 bottle of fat-free, gluten-free water.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,326
Apparently there are no ATMs in the West Bank. Cheap bastards.

I found a fork on the road, picked it up (so I guess I took it). Thanks for the advice , Yogi ( close-enough, IMO).

• #2,327
JorisL said:
I'd call it politics, or bad product design if it matters whether you drive 50 km/h or 120 km/h.
If you think about it, it would take a whole separate device to make your high/low beams sensitive to your speed. I can't think of a way for it to happen by accident or poor design.
WWGD said:
Not a vacuous boast :). Now let me get back to my $5 bottle of fat-free, gluten-free water.
That's expensive. I hope it will hydrate you at both city and highway speeds.

Likes Pepper Mint and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,328
Anyway, my left headlight was stuck on high and the right one was stuck on low. I pulled the dimmer relay off and shoved it back on again a couple times to clean off the contacts, and the right one started working again. I checked the spade connectors on the right headlight, and they were very, very tight. That wasn't the problem. Checking the connection of the right headlight to ground, however, revealed much rust. I sandpapered and wire brushed the crap out of all participants in this connection, and both the lights were suddenly about twice as bright, and both high/low beams now work perfectly.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,329
My body is a temple.
Too bad it's dedicated to Bacchus.

Also I think my coffee is broken, still sleepy.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,330
JorisL said:
Also I think my coffee is broken, still sleepy.
What time zone are you in? For me, it says that you posted at 1:38 AM!

• #2,331
GMT+1

It was 10:38AM but I was awake for 3 hours already, had a shower too.
Didn't sleep too long though (the joys of entertainment :D), about 6 hours tops

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,332
JorisL said:
GMT+1

It was 10:38AM but I was awake for 3 hours already, had a shower too.
Didn't sleep too long though (the joys of entertainment :D), about 6 hours tops

Ah, night Joris had the fun and screwed things up for morning Joris. It always happens.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,333
My random thought for the day...

The Egyptians are heralded as such fantastic engineers... but seriously, is a stack of rocks that big a deal?
If they were THAT good at engineering, I'd have expected the pyramids to be built upside down.. now THAT would be impressive!

• #2,334
The other day I got bit by a mosquito. I now probably have zika virus.

It is really bad luck because, at any given time, there are only about 3 mosquitos in all of San Diego. It's too dry here for them. In the 30 years I've lived here, I've only seen about 5. Back east, you see about 5 a minute.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and Pepper Mint
  • #2,335
zoobyshoe said:
The other day I got bit by a mosquito. I now probably have zika virus.

It is really bad luck because, at any given time, there are only about 3 mosquitos in all of San Diego. It's too dry here for them. In the 30 years I've lived here, I've only seen about 5. Back east, you see about 5 a minute.
My dad gave me a 3 day cruise up the Yukon river one year. At night we had to sleep under mosquito nets.
In the morning, I discovered that my hand had slipped out from underneath the net.
I counted over 100 bites.
Alaska has lots of mosquitos.
I never went back.

hmmmm... That was 41 years ago.

• #2,336
OmCheeto said:
My dad gave me a 3 day cruise up the Yukon river one year. At night we had to sleep under mosquito nets.
In the morning, I discovered that my hand had slipped out from underneath the net.
I counted over 100 bites.
Alaska has lots of mosquitos.
I never went back.

hmmmm... That was 41 years ago.
I imagine Alaska has excellent mosquito environments all over the place. We had bad mosquitos where I grew up in New England, and also the scourge of little black flies, which are something like swarms of flying fleas.

My bite stopped itching, but there is a large red welt there now. I'm pretty sure it's zika. Dam basterd mosquitos. Vampires are never good news.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,337
zoobyshoe said:
... also the scourge of little black flies, which are something like swarms of flying fleas.

Gnats ... maybe? We have them here, also...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldruck:

• #2,338
I am walking in the streets and this guy approaches me and asks me: which way is East? I tell him. He says thanks, and starts heading South. I assume he chose a contrived way of figuring out which way is South : by knowing where the East is, where he could have plainly asked which way is South directly

• #2,339
OCR said:
Gnats ... maybe? We have them here, also...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldruck:
Black Fly. It's smaller than a mosquito and feeds on blood.

• #2,340
zoobyshoe said:
Black Fly. It's smaller than a mosquito and feeds on blood.

:check:

• #2,341
WWGD said:
I am walking in the streets and this guy approaches me and asks me: which way is East? I tell him. He says thanks, and starts heading South. I assume he chose a contrived way of figuring out which way is South : by knowing where the East is, where he could have plainly asked which way is South directly
He just wanted to be oriented:
The foundation for all these words is the noun “orient,” first recorded in the works of Chaucer in the late 14th century. It originally meant a region situated to the east.

Thus, the verb “orient” (first recorded in 1728) originally meant “to place or arrange (a thing or a person) so as to face the east,” according to the OED.

The more general senses of the verb “orient”— including “to position or align (a structure, etc.) with, or in a particular way relative to, the points of the compass, or other specified points,” or “to turn towards a specified point or direction”—developed from the middle to the late 19th century.
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/01/orientate.html

He could have asked directly for South, but that wouldn't have been as classical.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
  • #2,342
There are some people in the world who always cause me instantaneously to smile when I see them. The Dalai Lama and Chuck Berry are among them (for me). Does anyone else experience this effect?

• #2,343
  • #2,344
WWGD said:
:DD

Other funny situation. Someone asks you for directions for a place and you say:

Take a left on the third traffic light. Keep going forward and you will see to your left a big building. That's not the place you are looking for. Keep moving forward and you will see to your right an orange house. That's not the place you are looking for either... Keep moving forward...

Finally you will see a blue building... That's not the building you are looking for... It's the one besides it.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,345
Psinter said:
:DD

Other funny situation. Someone asks you for directions for a place and you say:

Take a left on the third traffic light. Keep going forward and you will see to your left a big building. That's not the place you are looking for. Keep moving forward and you will see to your right an orange house. That's not the place you are looking for either... Keep moving forward...

Finally you will see a blue building... That's not the building you are looking for... It's the one besides it.

How about when someone asks you directions to a place right in front of where you are? I ask them to take a left four times and then turn right.

Likes Psinter