Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,346
WWGD said:
How about when someone asks you directions to a place right in front of where you are? I ask them to take a left four times and then turn right.
I went to a conference once. One guy arrived a bit late and had forgotten to print the directions to the hotel. He got off the train, jumped into a cab and asked to be taken to the Railway Hotel. The clue is in the name, folks, and I gather that the cabbie's expression communicated that quite clearly...

Likes Psinter and Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,347
WWGD said:
How about when someone asks you directions to a place right in front of where you are? I ask them to take a left four times and then turn right.
:oldlaugh: That's golden.

I think this is the funniest comment I've found to date in YouTube:
This comment section is sure to be full of well reasoned, rational responses and everyone will get along great.
You need to be positive, right?

• #2,348
Psinter said:
I think this is the funniest comment I've yet to find in YouTube:
This comment section is sure to be full of well reasoned, rational responses and everyone will get along great.
You need to be positive, right?
Were they discussing creationism or something controversial like cute cat videos?

• #2,349
Ibix said:
Were they discussing creationism or something controversial like cute cat videos?
No. It was a video of some girls stealing... I think... I don't know... I didn't really got what they were doing. The recording was of bad quality, it looked like someone on a phone moving it up and down. No stability to see if they were stealing or what they were doing.

• #2,350
Psinter said:
No. It was a video of some girls stealing... I think... I don't know... I didn't really got what they were doing. The recording was of bad quality, it looked like someone on a phone moving it up and down. No stability to see if they were stealing or what they were doing.
Naughty girls! My mom would whip me to dead if I did something similar, or worse I might not be allowed to eat her yummy cheesy self-made hamburger for dinner.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,351
Pepper Mint said:
Naughty girls! My mom would whip me to dead if I did something similar, or worse I might not be allowed to eat her yummy cheesy self-made hamburger for dinner.
Mmmmmmmm. Sounds yummy.

• #2,352
ℭᎪΝ ɏℴ ᴅᴏ ℐℋℐ₴?

ᴄᴀᴺ ɏℴ?

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙

♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜

SℋᎪɭɭ ѡΕ?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,353
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙

...♟

♟♟♟...♟♟♟♟
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜

(How shall I make the spaces?)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,354
fresh_42 said:
Does anyone else experience this effect?
Yes :smile:

• #2,355
Maybe we should use dots. Can't make it work with spaces. We could use the code tag which accepts spaces, but I don't know if you will find it too small for you. I'm okay with it, though.

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
...♙♙♙♙♙♙♙

♙...♟

♟♟♟...♟♟♟♟
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,356
C'mon, you're not seriously going to play chess like that? :biggrin:

• #2,357
ProfuselyQuarky said:
C'mon, you're not seriously going to play chess like that? :biggrin:
:DD I'm already on it. :biggrin:

• #2,358
Psinter said:
:DD I'm already on it. :biggrin:
Let's see who's first to get a checkmate, then :wink:

• #2,359
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Let's see who's first to get a checkmate, then :wink:
Although I'm a little sleepy right now. I'll come back in a few hours. This may take some time to finish. :sleep:

I'll be waiting for your move, fresh...:wink:

• #2,360
Psinter said:
Maybe we should use dots. Can't make it work with spaces. We could use the code tag which accepts spaces, but I don't know if you will find it too small for you. I'm okay with it, though.

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
...♙♙♙♙♙♙♙

...♟♟

♟♟...♟♟♟♟
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜

Explain which code tags, please. And I inserted the missing row.

• #2,361
Psinter said:
SℋᎪɭɭ ѡΕ?
Please don't hijack this "Random Thoughts" thread for the purpose of your Chess game / Font test.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,362
Yeah, I lost the interest.
fresh_42 said:
Explain which code tags, please. And I inserted the missing row.
It's the code tags you use when posting code like C, Java, etc.

You know, I still don't understand why some people yell "Shotgun!" before they get in a car. :oldconfused:

• #2,363
Psinter said:
It's the code tags you use when posting code like C, Java, etc.
Can you show this because I often fight with spaces when I want to write formulas, e.g. ... for ##ε < 0 |x-a| < -ε## or something like that. It looks awful without spaces.
How would you write it as: ... for ##ε < 0## 3 spaces ## |x-a| < -ε##?

• #2,364
fresh_42 said:
Can you show this because I often fight with spaces when I want to write formulas, e.g. ... for ##ε < 0 |x-a| < -ε## or something like that. It looks awful without spaces.
How would you write it as: ... for ##ε < 0## 3 spaces ## |x-a| < -ε##?
Yes. I don't think you can use spaces in Latex.

The code I talk about is in the + symbol of the editor. You click it and add your code. The tag respects the spaces and formatting. However, writing Latex there will not display the latex.

On the other hand there is this: https://www.sharelatex.com/learn/Spacing_in_math_mode

[itex]
\begin{align*}
\epsilon < 0 \quad \left | x - a \right | < -\epsilon \\
\end{align*}
[/itex]
Code:
\begin{align*}
\epsilon < 0 \quad \left | x - a \right | < -\epsilon \\
\end{align*}

Is that what you were looking for in latex?

Edit: Oh my! It's actually displaying latex in the code! :)) :olduhh: You see that? It's trying to make me look bad.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,365
Psinter said:
Oh my! It's actually displaying latex in the code! :)) :olduhh: You see that? It's trying to make me look bad.
Yep, thank you! Perfect.

Don't bother. Machines are mean, very mean. Especially computers.
Once in the 90's (at a time when bluescreens weren't so rare as you might think now) I've read about a guy who got so angry that he shot his computer. (In the US seemingly something you must expect.)
Nevertheless, they've put him in the loony bin. This, however, could nobody around me (including me) understand. We all felt it might be a logic reaction sometimes.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,366
I opened my wallet on Friday to discover that I didn't have my driver's license. :wideeyed: It took me a few panicked minutes to remember that a customer service rep at Home Depot had asked for it 3 days earlier and didn't return it. Fortunately, they had it in a safe waiting for me to come back. I am surprised that they didn't try to call me though. What if I didn't remember where it was?

• #2,367
Borg said:
I opened my wallet on Friday to discover that I didn't have my driver's license. :wideeyed: It took me a few panicked minutes to remember that a customer service rep at Home Depot had asked for it 3 days earlier and didn't return it. Fortunately, they had it in a safe waiting for me to come back. I am surprised that they didn't try to call me though. What if I didn't remember where it was?
That happened before . . . only instead Home Depot, we were on our way back to California (currently in Tennessee) to realize that the driver's license was in Virginia.
:mad::nb)

Likes Borg
  • #2,368
ProfuselyQuarky said:
That happened before . . . only instead Home Depot, we were on our way back to California (currently in Tennessee) to realize that the driver's license was in Virginia.
:mad::nb)
Yikes! Fortunately I didn't have to drive that far.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,369
Borg said:
It'll be alright then though because you'll soon learn you do or don't know where it is anymore when you need it.
But I think you should also think of plans to renew, replace or remake one just in case you discover it's gone and no way you can get it back.
Other than that, you just don't need to drive at all anymore, e.g you become old, you hire someone to drive you around instead etc, so having a driver license is of no use.

• #2,370
Borg said:
Yikes! Fortunately I didn't have to drive that far.
Luckily we knew exactly which store it was at, so the license was mailed back to our house. Of course, driving back without that precious piece of plastic was slightly nerve-racking.

• #2,371
I went to calculate something just out of curiosity, but I saw the solar panel on my calculator needed cleaning. One thing lead to another and I ended up cleaning the whole thing; between the keys and such. Then I couldn't remember what I was going to calculate. It's been over two hours and I still can't remember.

Likes Psinter, ProfuselyQuarky, Pepper Mint and 1 other person
  • #2,372
Well now you have three things. One, a clean calculator. Two, an estimate of the typical time needed to clean a calculator. Three, evidence that whatever you wanted to calculate probably wasn't that critical.

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #2,373
I ain't afraid of losing my job, I'm only worried about being unable to find a new one.

• #2,374
Ibix said:
I went to a conference once. One guy arrived a bit late and had forgotten to print the directions to the hotel. He got off the train, jumped into a cab and asked to be taken to the Railway Hotel. The clue is in the name, folks, and I gather that the cabbie's expression communicated that quite clearly...
Probably the same people who are surprised to see a sign in maps used to give orientation, that reads " You are Here". Then they ask: "How do they know"?

• #2,375
WWGD said:
Probably the same people who are surprised to see a sign in maps used to give orientation, that reads " You are Here". Then they ask: "How do they know"?
Big Brother is watching, man!

I'm pretty smart, but am occasionally called scatter-brained. That's totally justified. The guy I was talking about goes way beyond me. He's perfectly capable of fairly detailed planning and clever problem solving if formally presented with a task. Left to his own devices he won't realize there's a problem to be solved until he's already lost the flashlight and forgotten he has two hands.

Likes WWGD and Psinter
  • #2,376
Once I decided to take a different route to home from uni and night fell while I was still driving. I went up a mountain with a road full of curves and I couldn't see very well. At one point I almost fell over a cliff in the mountain while taking a curve.

My heart beat increased so much, I stopped the vehicle. Took a deep breath and after a few seconds I resumed driving. This time very slowly and with the lights at max intensity.

Stuff that happens.

• #2,377
Psinter said:
At one point I almost fell over a cliff in the mountain while taking a curve.
Did you happen to be speeding? Perhaps swatting a fly? :biggrin:

But seriously, that's scary. Luckily you were driving alone. If that happened while I was with someone, I'd probably scream, the driver would panic and, in the panic, accidentally hit the gas, and then we'd go off the cliff. The end. o:)

• #2,378
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Did you happen to be speeding? Perhaps swatting a fly? :biggrin:

But seriously, that's scary. Luckily you were driving alone. If that happened while I was with someone, I'd probably scream, the driver would panic and, in the panic, accidentally hit the gas, and then we'd go off the cliff. The end. o:)
:DD That's comic.

I wasn't speeding. Oddly enough, when I realized I was going straight for the cliff in the curve, I hit the gas in a temporary panic, but instantly hit the break too. The temporary panic made me confuse the break with the gas. By luck, I came to a full stop before the tires and the vehicle went beyond a point of no return.

Edit: Thank goodness I wasn't in a Ferrari or a Corvette. Had I hit the gas in one of those vehicles with so much horsepower, I don't think I would have had the time to break. Given the acceleration I would have gone straight to the cliff. No funeral, straight to the pit at the bottom of the mountain. o:) :biggrin:

• #2,379
WWGD said:
:biggrin: PF = Physics Forums or Psychopath Forensics.

• #2,380
Pepper Mint said:
:biggrin: PF = Physics Forums or Psychopath Forensics.
No, no. The last one is commonly known as Fox News.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint