Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,416
Pepper Mint said:
You know at around my age, I am not pursuing multiple academic paths anymore, I actually want to follow many men at the same time instead.
Uhmm.. to learn.
But I have a question: Are you an adult? I ask because of this: :-p
adult-life-if-youre-not-tired-youre-doing-it-wrong-quote-1.jpg

When someone asks if you feel tired and why. :oldlaugh:

Likes Pepper Mint
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,417
I know someone who works for a company that is being driven off a cliff by management. They are burning through cash reserves at an unsustainable rate. How do they cut expenses? Spend lots of money on consultants and new purchases. :confused: Sad.

• #2,418
Borg said:
I know someone who works for a company that is being driven off a cliff by management. They are burning through cash reserves at an unsustainable rate. How do they cut expenses? Spend lots of money on consultants and new purchases. :confused: Sad.
What burning through cash reserves means? :oldconfused:

I knew about two guys who spent the money of the company (not their salary) in their own private stuff. In the end they couldn't sustain the company and sold it. One would think that it would pain them, but they didn't lose anything, they were the bosses after all. The ones who had loses were the employees who got fired at the time of selling.

I don't think it is that rare to see that kind of behavior on corporations.

• #2,419
Psinter said:
What burning through cash reserves means?
The company has money in savings to keep it running during times when their income is low. What should be an emergency fund is being used as a piggy bank.

• #2,420
Borg said:
The company has money in savings to keep it running during times when their income is low. What should be an emergency fund is being used as a piggy bank.
Yep. Reducing your equity ratio and thus decreasing your credit lines is a well worked out way towards chapter 11.

• #2,421
Borg said:
I see.

• #2,422
The discrimination against and displacement of aboriginal communities of Western Australia - still continuing.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/country-discrimination-against-displacement-aboriginal-193915838/photo-wonderful-surprise-see-perfect-white-photo-193915188.html

Shameful.

Kennedy Hill is just one community that exists in the shadows of Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett’s commitment to close down approximately 100 - 150 Aboriginal communities in Western Australia. it's not clear to me where these folks would go, or what the purpose of closing the small communities would be, unless it's to consolidate the population on some reservation or penal colony.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,423
Yay the basis for a home automation type system has been made.
I can now control the music player on my laptop from a tablet :-D

Next up:
* Automatically keep track of current playing track and only check again when it's done or skipped.
* Make the web interface nicer and cellphone ready.
* Create a github repo (when their done)

Last edited:
  • #2,424
Kind of weird situation where I was walking in the sidewalk at almost exactly the same rate as someone else for around ( what seemed) like a minute or two and I was just almost exactly left of her for the duration. It was kind of delicate as it was a woman and she may have suspected I was following her. But I finally purposefully slowed down and she passed me by.

Likes Sophia
  • #2,425
It's the race of a turtle and a rabbit.

• #2,426
Sometimes when I play solitaire, I think the universe is messing with me.

Sometimes when a I look at beautifully diffracted wavelength of light, I swear I'm looking at God.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,427
Hell%2C_Yes.jpg

• #2,428
Pepper Mint said:
Hell%2C_Yes.jpg
Public restroom outside NC or TX?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,429
  • #2,430
Pepper Mint said:
Nice trick to avoid the automatic <peep> on PF. I got censored twice when I quoted a dialog of a Tarantino movie. They've even corrected a slang abbreviation ... Reminds me on what a British once said to me as I objected he wasn't pc: "Oh, never mind. We don't have that here. It's an American invention!"
(@ all objecting this quote. I well remember our discussion on it. No need to repeat it. Nevertheless, it is what David has said to me.)

• #2,431
I have no idea what is going on with some people on PF from time to time. Some are grumpy and baffled.

• #2,432
Pepper Mint said:
I have no idea what is going on with some people on PF from time to time. Some are grumpy and baffled.
I'd like so much to answer grumpy and baffled. But it's so hard to express irony and sarcasm by only words. And smileys aren't much of a comfort, too.

• #2,433
fresh_42 said:
I'd like so much to answer grumpy and baffled. But it's so hard to express irony and sarcasm by only words. And smileys aren't much of a comfort, too.
I dunno, some people do a pretty good job at it!

• #2,434
fresh_42 said:
Public restroom outside NC or TX?
Outside a rebel church.

• #2,435
WWGD said:
Outside a rebel church.
I've recently read a list about religious positions, witches and alike. It ended with the statement: "Well, if Satan is the reasonable choice."

• #2,436
fresh_42 said:
I've recently read a list about religious positions, witches and alike. It ended with the statement: "Well, if Satan is the reasonable choice."
But remember that Satan is just a misspelling of Santa.

• #2,437
WWGD said:
I almost immediately associated Coke with Santa. I am a Coke guy, I don't like Pepsi. And their ads have always really good songs.

I also read recently that 666 was really meant as an encryption of Caesar Nero because it sounds similar in (old?) Hebrew. No idea whether this is true, it's been on an Australian site.

Btw.: I've had a heavy debate today about helping someone in case of an accident. I said the US would be the only country I wouldn't help because I'd fear the lawsuit if something goes wrong. Some applauded me and others said there is no need to fear for samaritan laws. I doubt that they protect you from a civil lawsuit. However, I'm not 100% sure. Do you know something about it?

• #2,438
WWGD said:
Great, something new to worry about.

Likes Pepper Mint, WWGD and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,439
1oldman2 said:
Great, something new to worry about.
It's even even! Odd, isn't it?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
  • #2,440
fresh_42 said:
At least it's symmetrical. :smile:
The even even part anyway

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and fresh_42
  • #2,441
fresh_42 said:
I love this. Can I use it? I'll cite you, fresh_42 ! :biggrin:

• #2,442
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I love this. Can I use it? I'll cite you, fresh_42 ! :biggrin:
Fresh_42 is , oddly, even. Odd.
Pepper Mint said:
Before my coffee, I am sleepy and dopey.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
  • #2,443
fresh_42 said:
Do you mean the permutation Santa<--> Satan?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
  • #2,444
It seems the Japanese are close to coming out with a toilet that will provide an biochemical analysis of one's "output" (Seems one must use euphemisms for these types of issues in the West. I hear in Japan it is common to talk about it openly, even with people one is not familiar with.)

• #2,446
WWGD said:
Do you mean the permutation Santa<--> Satan?
Yes.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,447
WWGD said:
It seems the Japanese are close to coming out with a toilet that will provide an biochemical analysis of one's "output" (Seems one must use euphemisms for these types of issues in the West. I hear in Japan it is common to talk about it openly, even with people one is not familiar with.)
I dearly hope this won't become an app for smartphones ...

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
  • #2,448
fresh_42 said:
I dearly hope this won't become an app for smartphones ...
Don't worry, you will only get the analysis on your smartphone, nothing else. And, yes, it is intended as an app for smartphones.

• #2,449
The last thing I need: a toilet which tells me I better shouldn't have eaten the steak and complains about the absence of veggies.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,450
fresh_42 said:
The last thing I need: a toilet which tells me I better shouldn't have eaten the steak and complains about the absence of veggies.
And it does it with a nagging voice: " Fresh_42, I know you know better. Did I tell you not to eat the steak? Yes. But do you ever listen? Nooo, and then you complain..."

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and fresh_42