Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,381
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Did you happen to be speeding? Perhaps swatting a fly? :biggrin:

But seriously, that's scary. Luckily you were driving alone. If that happened while I was with someone, I'd probably scream, the driver would panic and, in the panic, accidentally hit the gas, and then we'd go off the cliff. The end. o:)
No, the fly came in when I was conducting a concert. Great music resulted.

Likes Psinter
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,382
WWGD said:
Yeah, I've heard that you can do almost everything in the Central Park. So just a question: have there been musicians around? I mean as an intellectual man those won't be necessarily necessary. :biggrin:

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,383
WWGD said:
That reminds me of this:

-a-robot-write-a-symphony-can-a-robot-turn-a-canvas-into-a-beautiful-masterpiece-can-you-quote-1.jpg

I for once have never written a symphony.

Likes OmCheeto, Pepper Mint, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
  • #2,384
WWGD said:
Eww, it is the mature figure of a disgusting maggot. You were probably using your baton to chase him away while the rest of other musical players thought you were guiding them with a totally new composition.

• #2,385
WWGD said:
A couple of weeks ago I was playing the violin in an orchestra rehearsal (in the leader/concertmaster position) and just as we were about to resume playing a huge shiny fly landed on the tip of my bow, which I noticed because of feeling the impact on the bow weight! I waved the bow around a bit but the fly clung on tightly so I held up the bow to show people (and the conductor) the reason for my strange activity. I excused myself for a moment and stood up and flicked the bow hard and heard the fly hit something, but I didn't see where it went. That was quite distracting, and great music definitely did not result.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,386
Jonathan Scott said:
A couple of weeks ago I was playing the violin in an orchestra rehearsal (in the leader/concertmaster position) and just as we were about to resume playing a huge shiny fly landed on the tip of my bow, which I noticed because of feeling the impact on the bow weight! I waved the bow around a bit but the fly clung on tightly so I held up the bow to show people (and the conductor) the reason for my strange activity. I excused myself for a moment and stood up and flicked the bow hard and heard the fly hit something, but I didn't see where it went. That was quite distracting, and great music definitely did not result.
I guess I was thinking more about a cartoon with Porky Pig, where he was directing an orchestra when someone accidentally plugged his behind to an electrical outlet, i.e., he had a cable coming out of the outlet and plugged it up Porky's behind, making Porky move around like crazy. I was laughing almost nonstop like for a whole week.

• #2,387
  • #2,388
  • #2,389
Borg said:
You haven't seen data.gov?
No, I will check it out, thanks.

• #2,390
Counting the time til your OMG post. :oldwink:

Likes WWGD and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,391
Jonathan Scott said:
... a huge shiny fly landed on the tip of my bow, which I noticed because of feeling the impact on the bow weight!
That's amazing. :bow:

• #2,393
World hockey championship starting today!
That's a big deal in my area :) Though our team has been playing quite bad in recent years (except for Silver in 2012), most people get excited about the event each year.
In fact, this is one of very few sport events (such as the Olympics and figure skating championships) that I ever watch on TV :p

• #2,394
dlgoff said:
That's amazing. :bow:
Yet amazing things occur only once in a blue moon on PF's random thread.
It's truly sad to see conservative young people without a "seriously" positive attitude to be accepting of changes.

Last edited:
  • #2,395
:eek: Why didn't this occur to me before? I could then walk over 30,000 miles before having to change my tennis! :-p

Likes Pepper Mint and Sophia
  • #2,396
Not going gentle into it.

• #2,397
Nyquist wins the Kentucky Derby!

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0507%2Fr81138_1296x518_5%2D2.jpg

I had a cat named Nyquist. Actually, his full name was "Nyquist Stability Criterion for the function GH(s)," but he usually just went by Nyquist. He was an infamous cat among those who knew him. Vicious as all get out. He had utter mastery of his claws. He was quite a smart cat too. He would open doors by himself. And close the doors behind him.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,398
collinsmark said:
I had a cat named Nyquist. Actually, his full name was "Nyquist Stability Criterion for the function GH(s)," but he usually just went by Nyquist.
Relevant: https://m.xkcd.com/26/

Likes Pepper Mint and collinsmark
  • #2,399
The tap used to open a tab in a browser seems unfortunately similar to the tap used to close it. I keep trying to do one and end up doing the other.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,401
There's really a need for a thread about funny jokes lurking around the corner in some serious threads.
Biker titled a thread electromagnetic induction and posted a question in it. I had automatically to think about a biker reaching a traffic light triggered by an induction loop and the induced current of his bike wouldn't be sufficient so he got stuck waiting. :smile:
Sorry @Biker, nothing personal, just an amusing imagination.

Likes Biker
  • #2,402
NASA can also record observable stuff into video files, can't they ? I thought they were only able to take pictures from above.

• #2,403
Can you guess what is says? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

kwGpuaf.png

:camera:

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,404
Psinter said:
Can you guess what is says? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

kwGpuaf.png

:camera:
It says, "Hi, how are you?"

Likes Psinter
  • #2,406
collinsmark said:
It says, "Hi, how are you?"
Tempora mutantur nos et mutamur in illis. For decades it would have been (almost automatically) "Hello world!".

• #2,407
  • #2,408
Psinter said:
You have 1000! :))
I'd wish I could have avoided this. The system badged me "Addicted" :cry:

• #2,409
fresh_42 said:
I'd wish I could have avoided this. The system badged me "Addicted" :cry:
Hihihi.

• #2,410
Psinter said:
You have 1000! :))

I think you meant "1000" instead of "1000!"

Homework: Extrapolate the time needed to reach thousand ( +/- a month) knowing fresh joined sept. 29th in 2015.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,411
JorisL said:
I think you meant "1000" instead of "1000!"

Homework: Extrapolate the time needed to reach thousand ( +/- a month) knowing fresh joined sept. 29th in 2015.
I guess you meant the factorial of a thousand in which case I'd like to bet that the sun is faster!

• #2,412
Let me sleep and disclaim what I want to disclaim or I will bring up a bunch of my whatsoever-as-long-as-it-works otherwise.

• #2,413
You know at around my age, I am not pursuing multiple academic paths anymore, I actually want to follow many men at the same time instead.
Uhmm.. to learn.

• #2,414
Today I went to order new glasses as I wrote recently in another thread.
There was such a nice lady optician, she was like an angel, really. I was nervous about going there because I have multiple issues with my eyes and vision and I am always so tense and anxious when attention is paid to that or even worse - when my eyes are tested. It reminds of all the times I was bullied etc. That's why I keep avoiding visiting a proper ophthalmologist for years :-)

But this lady was so kind and helpful that she made me feel at ease. After testing she helped me choose the best frame (both elegant and youthful) and gave me quite a big discount.
Oh I don't know but people have a big impact on my mood and can make me feel great or miserable for hours, sometimes even days. And this lady has really made my day beautiful right in the morning.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,415
Sixty second street to be renamed Minute street for short.

Likes fresh_42 and Psinter