Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,522
fresh_42 said:
Here you may have a look on what it does. And here I've found the sheep.exe. You can run it multiple times to get more than one sheep and you can move them with the mouse. However, I had to use the task manager to cancel them. There's also a help file somewhere on the net.

Edit: Sorry for I've forgotten that it is not a screensaver but a toy as an executable.
I remember something similar. It was a cat and his name was Felix. And I remember it was almost impossible to get rid of him haha. It was sometimes in late 90's or early 2000's when such things and breaking the screen with virtual hammer etc were popular. I was still young at that era and I found it very amusing :-) oh how magical computers seemed then!
And one day our teacher came and told us a story about how he was on THE INTERNET! And most of the class were listening with their mouth open because the majority didn't have even PC at home, and those who had didn't have Internet on it. I think I was the only one in the class who had access to it :-)
And I remember turning it on only while the page was loading (which took forever) and turning it off immediately because the timer counted each second and you had to pay for it :-) good old times!

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and Psinter
  • #2,523
ProfuselyQuarky said:
No pun intended and I'm not so sure how it could be :confused: Please explain :-p
When it said that you had many purposes for sheep emojis this could have happened:

Psinter: Having many purposes for the same sheep emoji is...
ProfuselyQuarky: Don't say it.
Psinter: Is...
ProfuselyQuarky: Don't say it!
ProfuselyQuarky: Just you dare and I...
Psinter: Cheap.
ProfuselyQuarky: :oldgrumpy:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,524
ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ғᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ᴡᴀʏ ᴛᴏ ᴡʀɪᴛᴇ. ᴡʜᴇᴇᴇᴇᴇᴇᴇᴇᴇ! :smile:
-ᴘsɪɴᴛᴇʀ
Source

And then I write a letter:
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
Tᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴏғ ᴍʏ ʟɪғᴇ:

ɪᴛ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴠᴇʜᴇᴍᴇɴᴄᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴡʀɪᴛᴇ ᴛʜɪs ʟᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴍʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇʟʏ ᴅᴇᴀʀ. ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ sᴛᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅɪsᴛᴀɴᴄᴇ ʙᴇᴛᴡᴇᴇɴ ᴜs ᴀɴʏᴍᴏʀᴇ. ɪ ᴍɪss ʏᴏᴜʀ sᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀʀᴍɪɴɢ ᴠᴏɪᴄᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴍɪss ʜᴏʟᴅɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴀʀᴍs ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ɪ ɢᴇɴᴛʟʏ ᴡʜɪsᴘᴇʀ ᴄʟᴏsᴇ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴇᴀʀs, ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴏɴʟʏ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ᴘʀᴏɴᴏᴜɴᴄᴇ. ɪ ᴍɪss ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢɪɢɢʟᴇs ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀɪʀ ᴏғ ᴍʏ ᴡʜɪsᴘᴇʀs ᴄᴀʀᴇssᴇs ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴇʟɪᴄᴀᴛᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴇɴᴛɪᴄɪɴɢ ɴᴇᴄᴋ. ɪ ᴍɪss ʜᴏʟᴅɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴀɴᴅs ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴇɴᴛᴀɴɢʟᴇ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴇxᴛʀᴀᴄᴛ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴍʏ ᴄʜᴇsᴛ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴇᴍᴏᴛɪᴏɴs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴅᴇsᴄʀɪʙᴇ.

ᴀɢᴀɪɴsᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏᴡᴇʀ ᴏғ ᴍᴏʀᴅᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ ɴᴏ ᴠɪᴄ...
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
Wait... what was I writing again?

Just kidding, I got tired of writing :biggrin:. These characters are quite hard to put together :confused:. Plus I don't want to make the other girls at the forum puke at the cheesy atmosphere. :oldruck: They would be like: Keep your letters to yourself Psinter.

Likes Pepper Mint and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,525
Psinter said:
When it said that you had many purposes for sheep emojis this could have happened:

Psinter: Having many purposes for the same sheep emoji is...
ProfuselyQuarky: Don't say it.
ProfuselyQuarky: Don't say it!
ProfuselyQuarky: Just you dare and I...
Psinter: Cheap.
ProfuselyQuarky: :oldgrumpy:
:oldlaugh:And ... Keep your letters to yourself Psinter :-p

Likes Psinter and Sophia
  • #2,526
fresh_42 said:
Here you may have a look on what it does. And here I've found the sheep.exe. You can run it multiple times to get more than one sheep and you can move them with the mouse. However, I had to use the task manager to cancel them. There's also a help file somewhere on the net.

Edit: Sorry for I've forgotten that it is not a screensaver but a toy as an executable.
Aaaaaaw yeeaahhhh! I've got sheep all over my desktop :partytime: Scooooore! Ꮚ°͈ꈊ°͈Ꮚ

This is so cute and fun, though it'll probably distract me somewhat. Instead of opening the file/document I was supposed to work on, I'll probably find myself admiring my sheep...thank you Fresh 42! :biggrin:

• #2,527
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Aaaaaaw yeeaahhhh! I've got sheep all over my desktop :partytime: Scooooore! Ꮚ°͈ꈊ°͈Ꮚ
I've read somewhere that this program was first intended for Japanese. Why wasn't I surprised ...
And with a double click on them you can remove them and turn their sound on/off or forbid them to sleep.

• #2,528
fresh_42 said:
I've read somewhere that this program was first intended for Japanese. Why wasn't I surprised ...
Japanese people are creative that way.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,529
I have them (4) now for almost an hour. I've seen the alien, the beaming space sheep and ship, but still waiting for the shower sheep.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,530
There used to be a Star Trek screensaver that featured Mr Spock wandering around the screen in this manner. Sometimes he'd study a window with his tricorder or disintegrate bits of your screen with his phaser. Occasionally one of the spore plants from This Side of Paradise would appear and spray him, and he'd wander around with a blissed-out grin for a few minutes...

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,532
ANNOUNCEMENT:

DiracPool
Opinionist
Seattle, Wa

I just wanted to prepare everyone: I'm a man of many facets and I watch many documentaries. On these documentaries they'll typically cut to one interview after the other and post a caption that includes the person's name and "what they do" or their "occupation." But as I'm sure is the same with you, I can't be labeled that simply, I'm a man that wears many hats. So I think it's important to express that.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Psinter
  • #2,533
DiracPool said:
I watch many documentaries.
Are you familiar with "My beautiful broken brain" on Netflix?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,534
DiracPool
Netflix subscriber
Seattle, Wa

No, but I just added it to my queue. I'll check it out later tonight.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #2,535
DiracPool said:
DiracPool
Netflix subscriber
Seattle, Wa

No, but I just added it to my queue. I'll check it out later tonight.
:wink: Let me know what you think.

• #2,536
DiracPool
Northwest Film Critic
Seattle, Wa

1oldman2 said:
Let me know what you think.

Absolutely, I will do that.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #2,537
DiracPool said:
Northwest Film Critic
:ok: Me too! in that case I also recommend "Mary and Max"

• #2,538
DiracPool
PhysicsForum Community Activist
Seattle, Wa

OK, but let's just do one film at a time for now, 1oldman2 :wink:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
  • #2,539
DiracPool said:
PhysicsForum Community Activist
Jeez, critics. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,540
Home sweet home.
9383049.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and collinsmark
  • #2,542
I just thought that it appears many questions nowadays are posted where the crucial information is the upload of a photo. This has a big disadvantage. You're not forced to formulate the facts anymore. But this oftenly is part of the insight which is intended to be achieved. I learned a lot of things when I have been forced to explain them to someone. As it is of today it becomes more and more a consumption of correct answers rather than a process of learning. Would be interesting to know where this will lead to in say two decades because this phenomena is not restricted to PF but can be seen everywhere. (When I hadn't internet for a couple of days it has been actually Wiki which I missed most. Never would have expected this.)

• #2,543
fresh_42 said:
I just thought that it appears many questions nowadays are posted where the crucial information is the upload of a photo. This has a big disadvantage. You're not forced to formulate the facts anymore. But this oftenly is part of the insight which is intended to be achieved. I learned a lot of things when I have been forced to explain them to someone. As it is of today it becomes more and more a consumption of correct answers rather than a process of learning. Would be interesting to know where this will lead to in say two decades because this phenomena is not restricted to PF but can be seen everywhere. (When I hadn't internet for a couple of days it has been actually Wiki which I missed most. Never would have expected this.)
Is that a complaint or an explanation ? I think it is a remind though.

• #2,544
Pepper Mint said:
Is that a complaint or an explanation ? I think it is a remind though.
It's an observation and curiosity about the implications.

• #2,546
You won't believe what just happened to me... That's why I won't tell you. :-p
fresh_42 said:
I just thought that it appears many questions nowadays are posted where the crucial information is the upload of a photo.
I'm not so sure I understand what you mean.

• #2,547
Psinter said:
You won't believe what just happened to me... That's why I won't tell you. :-p

I'm not so sure I understand what you mean.
I mean the first post of threads often contain a photo and a question about it. Thus there is no necessity anymore to describe in own words where the question comes in which sometimes already produces an answer by itself if you were forced to do.

The availability to have access to the internet everywhere and around the clock, e.g. to Wiki, means it's so easy to look up things, that one doesn't have to learn them anymore. I'm talking about common knowledge like capitals of countries and things like this. In former times interested people had to read a book and learn it.

An IDE I once used changed its scroll-down menus and written commands into a huge bunch of icons to be clicked. I'm still wondering how people can remember them. I definitely prefer to read instead of learning small colored images.

These are fundamental habits that are changing nowadays and I'm curious where it might lead to. I've read some time ago that according to a study our thumbs and pointer fingers already measurably changed (muscles, reaction and so on).

Edit: Another example. I've just read the following theorem:

Theorem 1. The set {1, . . . , 7824} can be partitioned into two parts, such that no part contains a Pythagorean triple, while this is impossible for {1, . . . , 7825}. (http://arxiv.org/abs/1605.00723)

The proof is a computer output of 200 terabytes length! The authors of the paper said they can condense it to 68 gigabyte. Can we still consider it a proof? Things are fundamentally changing which is exciting. But where does it lead us to?

(Simply random thoughts. Nothing to be discussed in detail here.)

Last edited:
  • #2,548
fresh_42 said:
An IDE I once used changed its scroll-down menus and written commands into a huge bunch of icons to be clicked. I'm still wondering how people can remember them. I definitely prefer to read instead of learning small colored images.
I see. I agree with that. We read and process text, we are not ancient dinosaurs that can process only hieroglyphics.

Let's hope it won't lead to the fact that people will stop using text and start using hieroglyphics like in ancient times just because according to them it is more intuitive and doesn't clog user interfaces.

I know it won't lead to that, I'm just joking around, but still, I understand that some take it too far and try to replace all text with icons.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,549
Psinter said:
Let's hope it won't lead to the fact that people will stop using text and start using hieroglyphics like in ancient times just because according to them it is more intuitive and doesn't clog user interfaces.
Lol. I knew one who really learned ancient egyptian hieroglyphs for fun. And she wasn't an anthropologist, historian or archeologist.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,550
I just found out from my sister that my high school English teacher will be turning 100 in a couple days. They've kept in close touch over the years and my sister has helped arrange a birthday celebration in the town hall. It's very interesting because I remember years and years ago when this teacher got married for the very first (and only) time, way back when she was 57. I was just getting out of high school. Now I'm 61, older than she was then, but she's still alive and kicking.

Likes Hoophy, ProfuselyQuarky, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #2,551
zoobyshoe said:
I just found out from my sister that my high school English teacher will be turning 100 in a couple days. They've kept in close touch over the years and my sister has helped arrange a birthday celebration in the town hall. It's very interesting because I remember years and years ago when this teacher got married for the very first (and only) time, way back when she was 57. I was just getting out of high school. Now I'm 61, older than she was then, but she's still alive and kicking.

that's so nice! Is her husband still alive, too?
Hmmm... that sounds like a very rude question but I don't mean it so :)

Likes Psinter
  • #2,552
Sophia said:
that's so nice! Is her husband still alive, too?
Hmmm... that sounds like a very rude question but I don't mean it so :)
Yes the husband is still alive but, unfortunately, he's completely incapacitated with Alzheimers and lives in a nursing home.

• #2,553
Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and collinsmark
  • #2,555
zoobyshoe said:
Yes the husband is still alive but, unfortunately, he's completely incapacitated with Alzheimers and lives in a nursing home.
That's very sad, what a cruel disease :frown: