Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,556
Psinter said:
For some reason I am amazed with this: https://imgur.com/gallery/AtbNPRk :woot: It looks kind of cool.

Here is the source video of that webm.
Impressive! :) I'd love to have such a coffee but I bet it would be so strong that my heart would beat strongly for a long time! :)

Likes Psinter
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,557
Sophia said:
Impressive! :) I'd love to have such a coffee but I bet it would be so strong that my heart would beat strongly for a long time! :)
If my stomach can handle it, I'll try coffee one of these days and tell you how it went. Last time I remember, I did not like it. I'm curious on why it is drank worldwide by so many. (Although beer is also drank a lot worldwide, but I'm not curious about it, I'm not into alcohol). I think, but at the same time I don't think, that I have posted this video before regarding Coffee: (It's a song in French)

Last edited:
  • #2,558
Psinter said:
Although beer is also drank a lot worldwide, but I'm not curious about it, I'm not into alcohol
Mmmmm, if I pronounce your nick here en francais it sounds a bit like santé ... :biggrin: Freud?

• #2,559
Psinter said:
If my stomach can handle it, I'll try coffee one of these days and tell you how it went. Last time I remember, I did not like it. I'm curious on why it is drank worldwide by so many. (Although beer is also drank a lot worldwide, but I'm not curious about it, I'm not into alcohol). I think, but at the same time I don't think, that I have posted this video before regarding Coffee: (It's a song in French)

I like the taste of real coffee, especially freshly ground. And if you occasionally add chocolate liqueur and cream...yummy! But often real coffee makes me feel bad on heart and sometimes it causes me insomnia even if I drink it at 2pm. So I have to only drink those imitations of coffee like 3in one nescafe and similar. I only drink real coffee on special occasions.

• #2,560
Sophia said:
I like the taste of real coffee, especially freshly ground. And if you occasionally add chocolate liqueur and cream...yummy! But often real coffee makes me feel bad on heart and sometimes it causes me insomnia even if I drink it at 2pm. So I have to only drink those imitations of coffee like 3in one nescafe and similar. I only drink real coffee on special occasions.
Same here, again, lol. I love coffee from different parts of the world, no mixtures that always taste the same. Coffee is a natural product, it is allowed to vary from place to place or by time. But to make only one or two cups doesn't make much sense, so I quickly boil some water for a nés and that's it. :frown:

Likes Sophia
  • #2,561
fresh_42 said:
here en francais
Aha! So a question for you: in countries whose predominant language requires the frequent usage of accent marks, do your computer keyboards have extra buttons with accented letters? Or do you have to use to horrid keyboard short cuts all the time?

EDIT: sorry for such an inquiry

Likes 1oldman2
  • #2,562
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Aha! So a question for you: in countries whose predominant language requires the frequent usage of accent marks, do your computer keyboards have extra buttons with accented letters? Or do you have to use to horrid keyboard short cuts all the time?

EDIT: sorry for such an inquiry
Sorry, for likely not being the one who knows for all. My accents (aigu et grave) are on a key between questionmark and backward, and left of the key 1 (circonflexe). There is neither a cedille nor can I properly write Angström or Kopenhavn without using workarounds like word's symbol list or ASCII codes. The ä,ö and ü have their own keys here, ß is beneath the questionmark.

For cyrillic I have bought a special keyboard which can be switched between latin and cyrillic letters. The latter being additionally printed on the keys.

I have also downloaded the klingon alphabet but I don't have a keyboard for it. It's rather complicated to write something in klingon.
220px-Qapla%27.svg.png

Likes Sophia, ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
  • #2,563
fresh_42 said:
I have also downloaded the klingon alphabet but I don't have a keyboard for it. It's rather complicated to write something in klingon.
:cool: :ok:

• #2,564
fresh_42 said:
Sorry, for likely not being the one who knows for all. My accents (aigu et grave) are on a key between questionmark and backward, and left of the key 1 (circonflexe). There is neither a cedille nor can I properly write Angström or Kopenhavn without using workarounds like word's symbol list or ASCII codes. The ä,ö and ü have their own keys here, ß is beneath the questionmark.

For cyrillic I have bought a special keyboard which can be switched between latin and cyrillic letters. The latter being additionally printed on the keys.

220px-Qapla%27.svg.png
So you guys do have slightly different keyboards than we do. Thanks for the explanation :smile: Lack of convenience when typing accented letters is what mostly makes foreign language classes not very enjoyable...forget grammar and vocabulary lists. It's writing essays on Word and having to go on the Insert tab for every other word you write that's tedious :mad:

Good to know you've got some convenience, at least, even though that klingon looks horrible.

• #2,565
fresh_42 said:
Same here, again, lol. I love coffee from different parts of the world, no mixtures that always taste the same. Coffee is a natural product, it is allowed to vary from place to place or by time. But to make only one or two cups doesn't make much sense, so I quickly boil some water for a nés and that's it. :frown:
When we meet we can have some good schnitzel, fried cheese and special coffee together. Looking forward to it :-)
There's no need to think about health consequences in advance!

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,566
One day I ma going to Detroit to bigga hotel. I go down to breakfast. I tella the waitress I want to two pissis toast. She bring me only one piss. I tell her I want to two pisses. She say go to the toilet. I say you no understand, I want to two piss onna my plate. She say you better no piss onna plate, you sonna va jerk. I don't even know the lady and she calls me a sonna va jerk!
Later I go to eat at the bigga restaurant. The waitress she bring me a spoon and knife but no fock I tell her I want to fock. She tell me everyone want to fock. I tell her you no understand, I want to fock onna table. She say you better no fock onna table, you sonna va jerk.

So I go back to my room inna hotel and there isa no sh!t onna ma bed. I call the manager and I tella him I want to sh!t. He tell me to go to the toilet. I say you no understand, I want to sh!t onna my bed. He say you better no sh!t onna bed, you sonna va jerk.

I go to the check-out and the man at the desk say, ,,Peace on you". I say, ,,Piss onna you too, you sonna va jerk. I going to back to Italy"

Likes JorisL
  • #2,567
Random thought:

Exam rooms are cold in every way.

• #2,568
fresh_42 said:
Mmmmm, if I pronounce your nick here en francais it sounds a bit like santé ... :biggrin: Freud?
Hihi. I'm not healthy. Athletic yes, but healthy not much.
Sophia said:
I hadn't heard before about chocolate liqueur. This is the first time I hear about it. I tried coffee today. It wasn't that bad. It wasn't good, but it wasn't bad. However, a few minutes after drinking it, I got a headache. I'll just keep away from it, coffee is definitely not my thing.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In all honesty, this looks pretty good:
Source (full size and there's another link to the real source in that page, it's from a book that was published in 1888! :nb))
QGm15Gzl.jpg

1888 and I still like how it looks :cool:.

Too bad I don't know how to read it, otherwise I would try to tailor it yes or yes. Of course, modifying the bottom back that elevates and spreads as I don't like it so spread. I would slim it there, slim fit. If someone walks past me wearing that jacket I would stop them to compliment them:

"Excuse me lady. If it's not much of a bother, I would like to compliment you on your choice of clothes. They look really good, I like them. Have a nice day :smile:. :peacesign:"

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
  • #2,569
Psinter said:
Hihi. I'm not healthy. Athletic yes, but healthy not much.

I hadn't heard before about chocolate liqueur. This is the first time I hear about it. I tried coffee today. It wasn't that bad. It wasn't good, but it wasn't bad. However, a few minutes after drinking it, I got a headache. I'll just keep away from it, coffee is definitely not my thing.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In all honesty, this looks pretty good:
Source (full size and there's another link to the real source in that page, it's from a book that was published in 1888! :nb))
QGm15Gzl.jpg

1888 and I still like how it looks :cool:.

Too bad I don't know how to read it, otherwise I would try to tailor it yes or yes. Of course, modifying the bottom back that elevates and spreads as I don't like it so spread. I would slim it there, slim fit. If someone walks past me wearing that jacket I would stop them to compliment them:

"Excuse me lady. If it's not much of a bother, I would like to compliment you on your choice of clothes. They look really good, I like them. Have a nice day [emoji2]. [emoji14]eacesign:"
That jacket looks fantastic I want one of those! It must create an illusion of great figure of bottom was straight ! :-)

Likes Psinter
  • #2,571
Sophia said:
That jacket looks fantastic I want one of those! It must create an illusion of great figure of bottom was straight ! :-)
It very much looks like there is a need to wear a corset underneath, not really a good idea.

• #2,572
fresh_42 said:
its-wales-you-idiot.jpe
Ay cramba, that's rather comical. Fortunately, it's quite easy to tell the difference between Welsh, English, and Scottish accents. One thing I never understood is when a "Brit" can't understand a "Yankee" because the former finds the latter's accent too "thick". The next time I come across an Englishman, I must not forget inquire about this. I have a pet whale, along with a walrus, btw.

• #2,573
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Ay cramba, that's rather comical. Fortunately, it's quite easy to tell the difference between Welsh, English, and Scottish accents.
You understand Welsh and Scottish? I can't even read it! :wink:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,574
fresh_42 said:
It very much looks like there is a need to wear a corset underneath, not really a good idea.
Yeah, but if it was only for a special occasion, I'd try it just for fun :-)

• #2,575
Sophia said:
Yes, and maybe modification on the sleeves to make it better. I learned that about 30 or more years ago, women's clothing was designed for them to look well, but it wasn't comfortable. I don't know if it's the case with this design. The thing would be taking someone's measurements and adjusting it until they feel comfortable.
fresh_42 said:
I somewhat believe you are correct, but not so sure. I think that what you see bellow the jacket must be something like a basque, similar to that whose diagrams are shown in the 1st-3rd page of the book. I don't know how to read it yet, but I have a suspicion that for this jacket diagram, the pattern that is labeled Vest is what we are looking in the image for the garment below the jacket. But I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I could design a shirt with that front decorative pattern and not make it a corset. Make it something that fits well and is comfortable at the same time.
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I have a pet whale, along with a walrus, btw.
:bugeye: For real?

• #2,576
Psinter said:
:bugeye: For real?
Yes, they are called Lenin and Trotsky, respectively. Stalin died a couple years back :cry:

Nah, not really. That’s about as true as me being able to understand Welsh. PQ understanding Welsh is to Homer Simpson understanding topology**. But, seriously, if you hear a Welsh person speaking English, you can tell that they’re from Wales.

**On that note, Homer could possibly be attracted to topology if he noticed how a torus perfectly resembles a donut. That would certainly ignite interest in homeomorphism and continuity, no? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes Sophia and Psinter
  • #2,577
ProfuselyQuarky said:
But, seriously, if you hear a someone from Welsh speaking English, you can tell that they’re from Wales.
For this, (a version of) English probably must be one's native language. I remember two incidents with my nephews.
The first has been at a large store here on a saturday afternoon where the only other customers and the sales assistant all have obviously been Americans. I said to my nephew: Just like home, isn't it? And he simply replied: No. They are all from the south.
Another one happened at a sandwich shop near a tourist attraction. I thought the guys who spoke to us were British, but I have been corrected: No. They're from Australia.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,578
I can recognise some regional accents in Spanish, my second language. It's not as easy for me as in English, but you can hear specific oddities - pronunciation of the softened c, for example.

As an aside, I know a Spanish woman who is a professional translator. Her Spanish is better than mine (natch), but so is her English. In England everyone guesses she's American. In America they always guess that she's English. The reason is that her English is pretty much native level, but her accent is unique as far as I am aware. She sounds like a native speaker from... somewhere... not here... so... America, I guess...?

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,579
English English (BBC) is hard to stand for me as long as it is no dialect. It always sounds like spoken with this stiff upper lip and seemingly in contrast to all other versions. Scottish English, e.g. is a lot funnier because many words are pronounced like they would be in German. However, interviews with John Higgins are horrible, but so are Ronnie's. I'd wish Matthew Stevens would do better so I could get an impression on Welsh English.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,580
ProfuselyQuarky said:
PQ
RSTU

What is this Welch you guys are talking about?
ProfuselyQuarky said:
**On that note, Homer could possibly be attracted to topology if he noticed how a torus perfectly resembles a donut. That would certainly ignite interest in homeomorphism and continuity, no? :biggrin:
:oldlaugh:

Definitely. But not much from me.

It already made an appearance in an episode:
[PLAIN]http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/10/29/the_simpsons_and_fermat_s_last_theorem_wizard_of_evergreen_terrace_has_brilliant.html said:
The[/PLAIN] fourth line on the blackboard is a series of four mathematical diagrams that show a doughnut transforming into a sphere. This line relates to an area of mathematics called topology. In order to understand these diagrams, it is necessary to know that a square and a circle are identical to each other according to the rules of topology. They are considered to be homeomorphic, or topological twins, because a square drawn on a rubber sheet can be transformed into a circle by careful stretching. Indeed, topology is sometimes referred to as “rubber sheet geometry.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,581
fresh_42 said:
its-wales-you-idiot.jpe
A little-cat he is.
Today we are all "equal".

• #2,582
Pepper Mint said:
A little-cat he is.
Today we are all "equal".

• #2,583
Psinter said:
What is this Welch you guys are talking about?
Oh, that one letter difference :oldlaugh:
Psinter said:
It already made an appearance in an episode
Well, I didn't know that. Darn you 21st Century Fox for taking my punchlines :mad::biggrin:

Likes Psinter
  • #2,584
I got halfway to work this morning and realized that I didn't have my car key. The car started because my wife had her key in her purse. I have no idea what would have happened if I had driven off without taking her key. :nb)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,585
You'd hope it has a fail-safe-not-fail-secure mode for "fob has left sensor range but I'm not stationary". Might be worth asking your manufacturer, though.

• #2,586
Ibix said:
You'd hope it has a fail-safe-not-fail-secure mode for "fob has left sensor range but I'm not stationary". Might be worth asking your manufacturer, though.
I'm guessing that it would take me to my destination and allow me to turn off the car. After all, imagine if the battery in the fob goes bad while you're driving? It wouldn't be a good design to have a car shutting down while driving down the freeway or to not allow you to turn it off if the fob fails.

• #2,587
I had bought a new LR44 battery for my calculator that I have had for so many years and I love and in less than one week it stopped working. I was so angry. So I tried to improvise and connect a AA battery. It did not work either, so I began suspecting something was wrong. I checked the metal contacts of the battery socket and it looked like they had something on them. I suspected corrosion. I sanded them to a shine, connected the battery and voila! It works now.

Lesson of the story: It could be the metal contacts that are corroded.
Borg said:
I got halfway to work this morning and realized that I didn't have my car key. The car started because my wife had her key in her purse. I have no idea what would have happened if I had driven off without taking her key. :nb)
Then it would have been your time to walk. It would have been marathon time for Borg. :biggrin:

Once I thought my mom had abandoned me in another town and I was like: "Meh, then I suppose I'll have to walk back home." My home was over 40 miles away, but I wasn't afraid. I said to myself: "I'll walk, no problem. And perhaps even run part of the way." While I was getting ready to begin she appeared and picked me up so I didn't end up having to walk back home.

One may wonder why I didn't call her. Well, I had no cellphone and I don't even know where to find public phones. I think those things don't exist anymore. Plus, I don't know her number or any number from any family member to begin with. Also, a taxi would have charged me more than $50 USD for the trip. So my decision was to just walk back home. I didn't mind.

• #2,588
Borg said:
I'm guessing that it would take me to my destination and allow me to turn off the car. After all, imagine if the battery in the fob goes bad while you're driving? It wouldn't be a good design to have a car shutting down while driving down the freeway or to not allow you to turn it off if the fob fails.
That's how I'd set it up. However, I personally dislike the word "guess" in combination with "driving down the freeway".

Likes Borg
  • #2,589
When you go to a bakery and they don't have bread:

(⊙︿⊙)

*But... I don't understand...*

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,590
Psinter said:
When you go to a bakery and they don't have bread:

(⊙︿⊙)

*But... I don't understand...*
Haha that's why old people stand in a queue at 7am in front of the bakery here :-) though they know there will be bread and rolls all day, it's something they used to do most of their life so capitalism won't stop them now!
However, if there is sales on cheap sugar people buy even 20-30 kg of it. There used to be lack of sugar during socialism so there is a custom of making huge reserves of it in many households. During those sales there's sometimes a sign next to sugar in shops saying " selling only in usual amounts" meaning max 10 or 15 kg per customer :-)
I don't get that hysteria because you can buy sugar with no problems all the time and I've never experienced lack of it. It's not even so expensive. Guess that's something only the older generation can fully understand.

Likes Psinter and ProfuselyQuarky