Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Bystander said:
There's a current thread on this in "Feedback."
I thought it was a comment/reaction on/to the quality of my jokes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here it comes... Current prediction for my area is 21 - 27+ inches. :wideeyed:

DC_BullsEye.jpg

Borg said:
Current prediction for my area is 21 - 27+ inches.
That's insane!

zoobyshoe said:
That's insane!
Sort of like if all of the rain that you've been getting turned to snow. :oldsmile:

better snow than ice

Likes Borg
As long as you don't have to drive or fly somewhere ... CNN calls it 'Monster Blizzard' ... and of course DCA has cancellations ...

fresh_42 said:
As long as you don't have to drive or fly somewhere ... CNN calls it 'Monster Blizzard' ... and of course DCA has cancellations ...
I think that the government is doing what they can to get people off the roads and home before it hits. DC and Federal government are both shutting down at noon. Metro is operating through tonight but they will be closed Saturday and Sunday with their trains parked underground. No bus or train service this weekend.

Borg said:
I think that the government is doing what they can to get people off the roads and home before it hits. DC and Federal government are both shutting down at noon. Metro is operating through tonight but they will be closed Saturday and Sunday with their trains parked underground. No bus or train service this weekend.
I wonder if the government has ever been shut down by a snowstorm before.

zoobyshoe said:
I wonder if the government has ever been shut down by a snowstorm before.
Yes, plenty of times in the DC area. According to the OPM Archives, it was closed for 4 days in Feb. 2010.

Imagine the government is shut down and nobody recognizes it.

fresh_42 said:
Imagine the government is shut down and nobody recognizes it.
Anarchists can enjoy during the time.

Borg said:
Yes, plenty of times in the DC area. According to the OPM Archives, it was closed for 4 days in Feb. 2010.
So, I guess this isn't such a big deal on that account.

zoobyshoe said:
So, I guess this isn't such a big deal on that account.
At least they get paid. When congress causes a shutdown, nobody gets paid - except the congressmen. :oldeyes:

WWGD said:
Anarchists can enjoy during the time.
OR style in DC?

Another piece of "micronews" that impressed me today and made me smile a litte, too: http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Israeli-Holocaust-survivor-112-likely-oldest-man-in-the-world-442354

Borg said:
Sort of like if all of the rain that you've been getting turned to snow. :oldsmile:
I envy you. Question: What do you get when it rains in tiny strips (#48) at 270° air and 265° ground temperature?

Borg said:
Here it comes... Current prediction for my area is 21 - 27+ inches. :wideeyed:

View attachment 94651
Hope it is going reasonably well there, we are next sometime tomorrow. People seem to be unworried around here overall.

Good to see a trend of people reading actual whole books, in contrast to the general unfocused crowds and their wild back and forth jumps in attention and focus.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Good to see a trend of people reading actual whole books, in contrast to the general unfocused crowds and their wild back and forth jumps in attention and focus.
http://booklikes.tumblr.com/image/106995617851

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle and lisab
Strange that supermarkets are depleted in waiting for the storm, but the products that people bought in mass are bread, coke and many perishables. EDIT: Good for me, more perishables left over for me: beans (in a can, of course), tuna, distilled/bottle water, etc. Let it rip.

Likes Silicon Waffle
The Truth Is Out There

tomorrow night

zoobyshoe said:
The Truth Is Out There

tomorrow night
What is it about ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
WWGD said:
How is/was the storm going there in DC?
Seems to be sticking to predictions of near 2 feet. We officially had around 7 inches as of 10pm last night and it looks to be well over a foot by now. There are some innocent looking drifts in the driveway that will probably take a few hours to clear. We have a plow dedicated to our subdivision and he is working hard right now.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Borg said:
Seems to be sticking to predictions of near 2 feet. We officially had around 7 inches as of 10pm last night and it looks to be well over a foot by now. There are some innocent looking drifts in the driveway that will probably take a few hours to clear. We have a plow dedicated to our subdivision and he is working hard right now.
Thanks, I (really do not) look forward to it coming this way. A lot of flooding dangers, specially to the people who already suffered through Sandy.

WWGD said:
Thanks, I (really do not) look forward to it coming this way. A lot of flooding dangers, specially to the people who already suffered through Sandy.
Time to head out for my first pass at shoveling. :nb)

Current temperature in Istanbul is 34º F (1º C).

Borg said:
Time to head out for my first pass at shoveling. :nb)
I guess I am spoiled, the rental company takes care of it. Good thing I got those snow boots in the going out of business sale. Timberlands for $20. I feel like a vulture buying from dying businesses.

Last edited:
My PC keeps telling me that Schockwave flash has crashed, despite the fact that I never installed it nor have even used it-- don't know what it does.

From: http://fox2now.com/2015/01/16/boy-w...its-story-was-a-lie-book-pulled-from-shelves/

"ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- The 6-year-old boy who said he went to heaven and came back to Earth has admitted that the story was false. The best-selling Christian book, “The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven” was released in 2010.

It was co-written by Alex Malarkey and his dad, Kevin, who is a Christian therapist."

Can you believe this? If you wanted to make a book about a bogus story and pass it off as real, would you hire a guy named Alex Malarkey to write it? :oldbiggrin:

Yes, pick me up a copy...

41baltbwikl.jpg

I like how the "Malarkey" is right under "a true story." o0)

Likes WWGD and Sophia
DiracPool said:
If you wanted to make a book about a bogus story and pass it off as real, would you hire a guy named Alex Malarkey to write it? :oldbiggrin:
It's kind of hard to believe it's anyone's real name. Makes me wonder if there's also a William Bogus and Samuel Bunk out there.

DiracPool said:
From: http://fox2now.com/2015/01/16/boy-w...its-story-was-a-lie-book-pulled-from-shelves/

"ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- The 6-year-old boy who said he went to heaven and came back to Earth has admitted that the story was false. The best-selling Christian book, “The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven” was released in 2010.

It was co-written by Alex Malarkey and his dad, Kevin, who is a Christian therapist."

Can you believe this? If you wanted to make a book about a bogus story and pass it off as real, would you hire a guy named Alex Malarkey to write it? :oldbiggrin:

Yes, pick me up a copy...

41baltbwikl.jpg

I like how the "Malarkey" is right under "a true story." o0)

I am a believer, some kind of Catholic-pagan-agnostic mystic mix but I really don't like books like this and reports of Virgin Mary on toast etc. They are just opportunities for atheists to make fun of believers and make intelligent believers question their faith (should my belief be based on burned toast?)

Round one is finished. The middle of the driveway was 18 inches.