Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
zoobyshoe said:
It's kind of hard to believe it's anyone's real name. Makes me wonder if there's also a William Bogus and Samuel Bunk out there.
Does that mean the book's writer doesn't necessarily use his real name in the cover ? I once made a question about how to publish a book to a publisher and they asked me to provide them my ID card photo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sophia said:
I am a believer, some kind of Catholic-pagan-agnostic mystic mix but I really don't like books like this and reports of Virgin Mary on toast etc. They are just opportunities for atheists to make fun of believers and make intelligent believers question their faith (should my belief be based on burned toast?)
I too am a believer (Buddhism is here :woot:), on a believing scale of 1 to 5, I place my belief on 3. :biggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
It's kind of hard to believe it's anyone's real name. Makes me wonder if there's also a William Bogus and Samuel Bunk out there.

Actually, I just took a second look at it, and there's two Malarkey's that co-wrote it, Kevin Malarkey and his son Alex Malarkey, who's keeping the tradition alive. So does this make the book "Double Malarkey?" I'm wondering...:oldeyes:

Silicon Waffle said:
I too am a believer (Buddhism is here :woot:), on a believing scale of 1 to 5, I place my belief on 3. :biggrin:
Similar here. I was raised in agnostic family, than became an evangelical Christian at High school but soon discovered serious logical issues with that type of religion. I officially entered Catholic church 3 years ago at the age of 25. That was a result of meeting some really cool people at university centre for catholic youth. But except for like 2 years during my adolescence, I've never believed anything to be 100% true. It's just that I wish something was true, it would be comforting. But I have no evidence for it. Only some personal experiences, but of course, that is not an evidence.
So, It would be number 3 for me as well.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon Waffle said:

I wonder about type of Buddhism in your area. Is it philosophical with lots of meditation as we usually think about Buddhism in the West or is it more superstitious, worshipping saints, protection against evil spirits and similar? Because I know there are many types of Hinduism but I'm not really familiar with Buddhism.

DiracPool said:
Actually, I just took a second look at it, and there's two Malarkey's that co-wrote it, Kevin Malarkey and his son Alex Malarkey, who's keeping the tradition alive. So does this make the book "Double Malarkey?" I'm wondering...:oldeyes:
I'd say that's a lot of Malarkey. :oldtongue:

Likes Silicon Waffle and DiracPool
Sophia said:
...Is it philosophical with lots of meditation as we usually think about Buddhism in the West or is it more superstitious, worshipping saints, protection against evil spirits and similar? ...
Both I think. :biggrin:

Do people in your area play the game Paper, Scissors, Rock ?:smile:

Silicon Waffle said:
Both I think. :biggrin:

Do people in your area play the game Paper, Scissors, Rock ?:smile:
yes :)
and I don't know the einglish name, but the game where you draw a table and draw circles and crosses and try to get 5 in a row :)

Silicon Waffle said:
Do people in your area play the game Paper, Scissors, Rock ?
Yes. And yes for Sophia's area, too. Why do you ask? Did anybody actually played Paper, Scissors, Rock, Spock?

Likes Sophia
RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock.jpg

Sheldon's version

Likes nuuskur, WWGD, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
...Why do you ask? Did anybody actually played Paper, Scissors, Rock, Spock?

I don't know about the origin of the game. But it shows the interdependence and relativeness of things by the above image.

Silicon Waffle said:
But it shows the interdependence and relativeness of things
I see.

Silicon Waffle said:
I don't know about the origin of the game. But it shows the interdependence and relativeness of things by the above image.
that's an interesting thought. Now I see how it relates to buddhism

Hi Silicon Waffle, hi Borg. Whatcha cooking... :smile:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Paper disproves spock hahaha :D

Weird how some words have "fake roots" : minister does not derive from mini, the pastry profiterol does not come from profit
and butter does not come from butt (at least I really hope not.)

Likes Sophia
WWGD said:
Weird how some words have "fake roots" : minister does not derive from mini, the pastry profiterol does not come from profit
and butter does not come from butt (at least I really hope not.)

No but milk comes from a teat how horrible is that.

wolram said:
No but milk comes from a teat how horrible is that.
Think of the alternative holes it could come out of. Maybe the teat is not so bad.

There's this station on the Antenna TV called "Decades" with Charles Kuralt. This station has all the old cheesy 70's docu-dramas. This weekend they've got the "Kojak binge." I haven't seen Kojak since I was 8 years old. But in this episode I'm watching right now I see at least 5 characters that all appeared in Brian De Palma's "Scarface." What? They even have Salieri from Amadeus:

f-murray-abraham_222345.jpg

Is that all they did to put together Scarface, hijack Kojak and throw in Al Pacino?! o0)

Likes Silicon Waffle
DiracPool said:
There's this station on the Antenna TV called "Decades" with Charles Kuralt. This station has all the old cheesy 70's docu-dramas. This weekend they've got the "Kojak binge." I haven't seen Kojak since I was 8 years old. But in this episode I'm watching right now I see at least 5 characters that all appeared in Brian De Palma's "Scarface." What? They even have Salieri from Amadeus:

f-murray-abraham_222345.jpg

Is that all they did to put together Scarface, hijack Kojak and throw in Al Pacino?! o0)

I have this channel that shows "Starsky and Hutch" , a show, I think, from the 60s-70s, together with other shows and documentaries from that era. I think it is called Cloo.

Likes Silicon Waffle
WWGD said:
I have this channel that shows "Starsky and Hutch" , a show, I think, from the 60s-70s, together with other shows and documentaries from that era. I think it is called Cloo.

Congrats on 2000 posts. I just reached my 1000 milestone last week. We're fighting ignorance one post at a time WWGD...:oldwink:

Likes Silicon Waffle and WWGD
DiracPool said:
Congrats on 2000 posts. I just reached my 1000 milestone last week. We're fighting ignorance one post at a time WWGD...:oldwink:
All just O(1).

Snow seems to have stopped coming down, seems no crises, major problems resulting from Jonas.

fresh_42 said:
All just O(1).
{-1,1} (ignorant statement deleted), the 1x1 orthogonal matrices? Just kidding.. O(1) applied
to what?

There was some buzz about a legitimate detection at LIGO a few weeks back, has anyone heard anything about that?

There's an Albert Hammond concert on TV. What does it tell that I can join in singing the songs?

Likes fresh_42
WWGD said:
{-1,1} (ignorant statement deleted), the 1x1 orthogonal matrices? Just kidding.. O(1) applied
to what?
Length / number of typed symbols.

Chinese New Year, the Monkey, starting February 2. Goodbye Goat, Hello Monkey.

Likes fresh_42
WWGD said:
Snow seems to have stopped coming down, seems no crises, major problems resulting from Jonas.
Another band coming through my area. We're definitely over 2 feet at this point.

@DiracPool : Have you read or heard about the book Surfing Uncertainty by Andy Clark? I am an interested outsider in Cognition. Looks interesting but I don't know enough to determine how good, how worthwhile the book is :

http://www.cuil.pt/r.php?cx=002825717068136152164:qf0jmwd8jku&cof=FORID:10&ie=UTF-8&q=surfing+uncertainty+andy+clark&sa=Search

Kind of strange to have someone who has tenure and who's clearly brilliant to use the name 'Andy' instead of Andrew. Andy seems childlike, or something his close circle would use. Maybe just my hangup.

Likes Sirsh
Borg said:
Another band coming through my area. We're definitely over 2 feet at this point.

I am not sure around here, it was just my very unscientific survey of looking through the window of a 2nd floor apt. But the TV reports at around 4 p.m, said 23'' so far. EDIT How was the shoveling?

Borg said:

I saw that crazyness on the news, I'm glad I live in Tacoma. It's raining cats and dogs here but its 46 degrees, we're used to that.

Random thought: I've always wanted to follow a river upstream all the way up into the mountain and see where it leads to. Let's see, the water is coming from... *suspicious*
MegaSmiley_Suspicious.png

WWGD said:
Have you read or heard about the book Surfing Uncertainty by Andy Clark?

No I haven't, but thanks for the link. I'll ask my girl at the campus library if we have it or if she can order it. In general though, I'm well familiar with models of "embodied cognition," and think they have the right idea, but most don't dive very deep into how the functional neuroanatomy of the brain would support their proposals.