What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,271
nuuskur said:
Two super storms ravaging America and SEA, I am glad I live in a meteorologically stable place.
Same here

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,272
That 'Masters' degree is now useless.
Python joins movement to dump 'offensive' master, slave terms

Likes nuuskur
  • #4,273
nuuskur said:
Two super storms ravaging America and SEA, I am glad I live in a meteorologically stable place.
Yeah, I agree. Those are big storms...

• #4,274
MrAerospace said:
Yeah, I agree. Those are big storms...
So...howz life ?

• #4,275
bought 15 kg of honey for about 100 euro

• #4,276
Navin said:
So...howz life ?
Well, I’m away from the hurricanes, so good I guess;)
How about you?

• #4,277
nuuskur said:
bought 15 kg of honey
:oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised:

• #4,278
nuuskur said:
bought 15 kg of honey for about 100 euro
Dang that’s a lot of honey

• #4,279
I don't like sugar in my tea, so I use honey. It doesn't have that annoying sharp-sweet taste as sugar, but much milder. I should be good until next summer. :smile:

• #4,280
Im fine...just doing a ton of homework

• #4,281
Say...who has seen this little known film "Donnie Darko"

• #4,282
Shut up and do your homework :mad:
(jk :-p)

• #4,283
nuuskur said:
Shut up and do your homework :mad:
(jk :-p)
Ok mom !

• #4,284
nsaspook said:
That 'Masters' degree is now useless.
Python joins movement to dump 'offensive' master, slave terms
Why should one ignore the feelings of the hard drives involved? Down with the Patriarchy ! \Sarc

• #4,285
nuuskur said:
I don't like sugar in my tea, so I use honey. It doesn't have that annoying sharp-sweet taste as sugar, but much milder. I should be good until next summer. :smile:
But in my experience honey does not meet easily into drinks. I can only taste it in the last sip.

• #4,286
An app and a nap. Both worked out well.

• #4,287
I deleted around 1,000 emails today. I have deleted similar amounts a good number of times. But I still have some 20,000 messages in my inbox. And that is just for a single account.

• #4,288
WWGD said:
I deleted around 1,000 emails today. I have deleted similar amounts a good number of times. But I still have some 20,000 messages in my inbox. And that is just for a single account.
Maybe you should just create a junk mail filter and let it deal with the spam?

• #4,289
Borg said:
Maybe you should just create a junk mail filter and let it deal with the spam?
Hotmail has one (Kind if embarrassed to admit I use it) byt it is if poor quality and I don't think I can train it nor does it train itself using my input: Ii move messages from the same source into spam repeatedly nut Hotmail keeps accepting messages from the same source. I remove some from spam folder into regular mail yet Hotmail keeps sending them to spam. Is there a way of training it?

• #4,290
Have you tried going into your options and setting inbox rules?

Likes WWGD
  • #4,291
Borg said:
Have you tried going into your options and setting inbox rules?
Yes, will check it out. Still I forgot to mention I was also deleting old messages that did not matter. EDIT: I think that is available only for the Premium version, I only have the basic service.

Last edited:
  • #4,292
(Makes more sense when spoken) :Is (Lionel) Messi Messy?

• #4,293
I have seen a lot of Europeans feeding this sense (which is somewhat accurate for most people in any country) that people in the U.S are completely ignorant of the rest of the world. I told this guy at Starbucks who was speaking some northern Euro language : " Hey, go back to Mexico!". Now he has another story to tell.

Last edited:
  • #4,294
We have plenty of dialects in this country. And almost everybody has his favorites and those he cannot stand. Of course, this sets are different from person to person. This is, I think, a natural attitude. Now, how does it come, that I extended this to English dialects, and even worse, that I find it very painful to listen to English English? (Just watching a BBC documentary about our species which only has a voice-over translation instead of a substituted audible track.)

• #4,295
fresh_42 said:
We have plenty of dialects in this country. And almost everybody has his favorites and those he cannot stand. Of course, this sets are different from person to person. This is, I think, a natural attitude. Now, how does it come, that I extended this to English dialects, and even worse, that I find it very painful to listen to English English? (Just watching a BBC documentary about our species which only has a voice-over translation instead of a substituted audible track.)
Then just go back to Mexico! ;).

• #4,296
WWGD said:
Then just go back to Mexico! ;).
My Portuguese is too bad ;).

• #4,297
fresh_42 said:
My Portuguese is too bad ;).
Then have a paella so you feel like you're in Mexico. Denial is not just a mountain in China, you know!

• #4,298
Dedicated bike lanes may be on their way out. Many are blaming them for the increase in traffic. And the issue if bikers taking extreme right turns that could easily main pedestrians. Last issue could be taken care of if sidewalks were at right angles in intersections , forcing bikers to slow down before turning. But it seems the main, if not only consideration in designing roads is to optimize, maximize flow of cars.D o you have dedicated bike lanes ?

Last edited:
  • #4,299
Don't you just love dumplings?

There's always time for dumplings.

• #4,300
skyshrimp said:
Don't you just love dumplings?

There's always time for dumplings.
Is that a pet name for the woman you refer to here? Or you mean other dumplings?

• #4,301
I mean the kind of dumplings you eat (don't get me started on her..).

I've never had a bad dumpling. English beef suet, Polish Kopytka, Chinese dumplings with dipping sauce? Hell yeah :)

• #4,302
I feel that same way about bacon, fried chicken

• #4,303
So it is raining pretty hard and there is nowhere I can find cover near me, except for this one coffee shop. So I walk in and get a cup of coffee. I tell the waitress: " Good idea for you to get this rain going, that way every one nearby must come into your coffee shop". She replies: " No, we did not do that on purpose". Did she really believe I was serious? I wanted to ask her if she had autism, but, given her previous comment she may have replied" No, I don't have an automobile, I use public transformation" ( autism ~ use automobile)

Last edited:
  • #4,304
:oldlaugh:

Was English her native language?

• #4,305
skyshrimp said:
:oldlaugh:

Was English her native language?
It seemed so. She also had blue hair. Maybe the dyeing process made some of her neurons dyie/die.