What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,626
WWGD said:
"Half a David"
Could be a Freudian slip, had Mogen David on his mind?

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,627
Oldman too said:
Could be a Freudian slip, had Mogen David on his mind?
Yes, sounds like a good guess.

Likes Oldman too
  • #9,628
The area of oil as the primary energy carrier of sea transports will end. I doubt that atomic-driven civilian vessels will come. That leaves us with wind.

Too early to invest in pepper?

• Haha
Likes strangerep
  • #9,629
fresh_42 said:
The area of oil as the primary energy carrier of sea transports will end. I doubt that atomic-driven civilian vessels will come. That leaves us with wind.

Too early to invest in pepper?
There are better sources of wind, e.g., politicians, chili, old men, (oops!)

• #9,630
It may be only for me, but searching for 'Mouser' (electronics component distributor) on Google returns with two of their competitors as the first two hit...:doh:

• Sad
Likes dlgoff
  • #9,631
WWGD said:
I'd say legal advice from someone referring to a "Half a David" * may not be too reliable.

*Affidavit. clear after an hour what he meant. A full David may be too much. A Goliath...?
Turned out to be a scammer. Not really surprised.

• #9,632
Weird that I'm suddenly finding food items I often eat without any major issue, to be overly sweet.

Likes Klystron
  • #9,633
My daughter just passed her single engine pilot instrument rating check ride. This is what she said in an email reply:
Checkride went well. I just passed so now I officially have my instrument rating. Time to work on commercial now.

Likes collinsmark, Oldman too, pinball1970 and 3 others
  • #9,634
Congradulations.jpg

Now THAT is one persistent gal!

Likes dlgoff
  • #9,635
WWGD said:
Weird that I'm suddenly finding food items I often eat without any major issue, to be overly sweet.
examples?

• #9,636
WWGD said:
Have you trying googling something like "why do suddenly find things too sweet?". Some potential causes sound serious enough (e.g., diabetes) that checking with your doctor seems justified.

• Informative
Likes WWGD and dlgoff
  • #9,637
dlgoff said:
examples?
Ice cream, Diet Pepsi . I just noticed yesterday. I had passed my previous physical with flying colors. I exercise 6x /week; strength and cardio.

Last edited:
  • #9,638
I'm also regular, and I empty my bowels daily, at 7 a.m. Unfortunately, I wake up at 8 a.m.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes strangerep, dlgoff and Oldman too
  • #9,639
Some folks these days can barely hold a conversation without looking at their phone every minute. Many will literally start scrolling Instagram while you are talking to them.😔

Likes WWGD
  • #9,640
Hamiltonian said:
Some folks these days can barely hold a conversation without looking at their phone every minute. Many will literally start scrolling Instagram while you are talking to them.😔
I've made it a point to spend 10-15 min daily just sitting, doing nothing, just forcing myself to slow down..

• Love
Likes dlgoff, Oldman too, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #9,641
Hamiltonian said:
Yes. I can't forget the time while walking in a shopping mall, a teen age girl, while looking down at her phone and walking toward me, ran into me.

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes Hamiltonian, strangerep and pinball1970
  • #9,642
dlgoff said:
Yes. I can't forget the time while walking in a shopping mall, a teen age girl, while looking down at her phone and walking toward me, ran into me.
In terms of culture change, Radio, TV, NET, Cell and NET + phone for me not a good move.
Net plus phone that is

• Love
Likes dlgoff
  • #9,643
Hey, how about we meet at the café, so we can look at our phones and ignore each other?

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian
  • #9,644
WWGD said:
Hey, how about we meet at the café, so we can look at our phones and ignore each other?
It crossed my mind during Ukraine early doors. This may not end well so let's meet kind of thing.

The invite would have been ...

Hey guys we will probably be vaporised next week. Fancy a beer and a piece of pie?

Pick a city

Likes Hamiltonian, dlgoff and WWGD
  • #9,645
pinball1970 said:
It crossed my mind during Ukraine early doors. This may not end well so let's meet kind of thing.

Hey guys we will probably be vaporised next week. Fancy a beer and a piece of pie?

Pick a city
Don't get your hopes down. It seems a
pinball1970 said:
It crossed my mind during Ukraine early doors. This may not end well so let's meet kind of thing.bc

Pick a city
Don't despair, I read about a black hole headed towards Earth ( general direction) . It appeared to be a few hundreds of thousands light years away, but of course, we're seeing it at the time the pic was taken, not at this moment.

• #9,646
Aren't these last names that start with 'Or', confusing?
"Hi, I'm John Ortega"
wait, which one is it, John, Tega? Is it a riddle, or are you giving us a choice?
I remember Tony Orlando. Half the people called him Tony, the other half Lando.

• #9,647
dlgoff said:
I can't forget the time while walking in a shopping mall, a teen age girl, while looking down at her phone and walking toward me, ran into me.
Ha! I love it when that happens. I'm quite tall, hence I tend to be invisible to small people. Their face literally bounces off my lower chest and sometimes they almost fall backwards. From the look on their face, they seem not to understand immediately what's happened.

Little kids are even more fun. If I'm walking with a full shopping bag I make sure to raise the bag so that its (timber-strengthened) bottom is at their face level. I stand still as they strike it (so no one can claim that I walked into them).

(Am I a bad person?)

Likes pinball1970, Hamiltonian and Borg
  • #9,648
strangerep said:
Ha! I love it when that happens. I'm quite tall, hence I tend to be invisible to small people. Their face literally bounces off my lower chest and sometimes they almost fall backwards. From the look on their face, they seem not to understand immediately what's happened.

Little kids are even more fun. If I'm walking with a full shopping bag I make sure to raise the bag so that its (timber-strengthened) bottom is at their face level. I stand still as they strike it (so no one can claim that I walked into them).

(Am I a bad person?)
No they learn life lessons that way. Them getting a boo boo from your bag is better than them walking into the road under a truck.

Likes strangerep and BillTre
  • #9,649
WWGD said:
Don't get your hopes down. It seems a

Don't despair, I read about a black hole headed towards Earth ( general direction) . It appeared to be a few hundreds of thousands light years away, but of course, we're seeing it at the time the pic was taken, not at this moment.
At least a black hole will not be our fault.
I supposed going into it would be unpleasant though, it would strip off hot ionized gas from the sun? Vaporizing the Earth in the process?
Be nice to imagine a future without possible vaporization.

• #9,650
pinball1970 said:
Be nice to imagine a future without possible vaporization.
I don't think I'll be sticking around long enough to get vaporized in that manner.

• #9,651
BillTre said:
I don't think I'll be sticking around long enough to get vaporized in that manner.
What a great relief. I thought I had to nail a sign at my head reading: medium rare.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #9,652
40 degrees on monday here in the uk. thankfully in the lab we will be working with liquid helium. for making gelato, probably.

• #9,653
fresh_42 said:
More famous is the Mandelbrot set (here: apple men).
Thank you, I'm aware of both the Cantor Set and The Mandelbrot Set. But, are all Fractals recursive, or can they be obtained by recursion?

• #9,654
WWGD said:
Thank you, I'm aware of both the Cantor Set and The Mandelbrot Set. But, are all Fractals recursive, or can they be obtained by recursion?
Fractals are defined by self-similarity, not by recursions, but isn't this already a recursion?
https://arxiv.org/abs/1010.4474

• #9,655
fresh_42 said:
Fractals are defined by self-similarity, not by recursions, but isn't this already a recursion?
https://arxiv.org/abs/1010.4474
I'm kind of confused on whether the defining property is self-similarity or having non-Integer Hausdorff Dimension. Pretty sure all Fractals have non-Integer Hausdorff dimensions, but self-similarity may not imply fractal. A standard circle or square would be such ( counter) example.

• #9,656
ergospherical said:
40 degrees on monday here in the uk. thankfully in the lab we will be working with liquid helium. for making gelato, probably.
I guess UK has made a full transition to Metric. Otherwise something seriously wrong there, at least in Cambford.

• #9,657
More issues with parsing . Fourier ## \neq 48 ##. Except maybe for the French.

• #9,658
WWGD said:
I guess UK has made a full transition to Metric. Otherwise something seriously wrong there, at least in Cambford.
I assume 40°C in the lab, 40°K for the helium. Both SI units.

• #9,659
WWGD said:
Anything which can be computed using recursion can be computed without recursion and visa versa. So the question boils down to asking wether all fractals are computable.

I don't know if the definition of a fractal is clear enough to answer. If we are talking about an instance of a fractal then yes, in a trivial way, you can multiply an uncomputable real number with each coordinate value.

Besides a trivial example like that, and if we factor out all of those kinds of non-essential factors like noise, I'm not sure. How about a fractal which switches between two rules periodically as it recurses, but uses an uncomputable sequence to determine if it will switch or not at the start of each period? Then it is morphing unredictably between different fractals. Is that a fractal?

• #9,660
Jarvis323 said:
Anything which can be computed using recursion can be computed without recursion and visa versa. So the question boils down to asking wether all fractals are computable.

I don't know if the definition of a fractal is clear enough to answer. If we are talking about an instance of a fractal then yes, in a trivial way, you can multiply an uncomputable real number with each coordinate value.

Besides a trivial example like that, and if we factor out all of those kinds of non-essential factors like noise, I'm not sure. How about a fractal which switches between two rules periodically as it recurses, but uses an uncomputable sequence to determine if it will switch or not at the start of each period? Then it is morphing unredictably between different fractals. Is that a fractal?
Formally, a fractal is a Topological space with Fractional Hausdorff dimension. It is a space that cannot quite be qualified as being n-dimensional, for n a Natural number.