What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,591
Oldman too said:
The spies recommended dumping the android and going with the "dark side", yup, iphone. I don't miss the glitchy android one bit and comparing play store and apple store apps for malware is a little sobering. (spy vs. spy was my favorite strip from mad, thus the avatar.)
I was kind of partial to both " Joke Setups in Search of a Punchline" and " No-joke Jokes".

An example of the first was " Dr Kevorkian walks into a butcher shop and gets _two_ tickets..."
For the second: " Your mama so fat, when she walks around the house, she really walks around the house", and " The town I was born in was so small, even the hooker wore a helmet".

Likes Oldman too
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,592
Kind of interesting:
20220707_021010.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes dlgoff, Astronuc, Rive and 2 others
  • #9,593
WWGD said:
Kind of interesting:
Amazing that no one has worked that into a marketing angle yet.

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
  • #9,594
Oldman too said:
Amazing that no one has worked that into a marketing angle yet.
You read it here in PF first. Blue, black, any-color honey coming soon to your supermarket !

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Oldman too and pinball1970
  • #9,595
WWGD said:
Kind of interesting:
Kind of upsetting too: if bees had access, then many other had to.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,596
Notes from the (un)help(ful) desk:

Me: Submits ticket stating that I can't achieve a task after logging into AWS C2S.
Help desk: Do you have a C2S account?
Me: :rolleyes:

• #9,597
Rive said:
Kind of upsetting too: if bees had access, then many other had to.
Yuk.
Cockroaches, ants, wasps, Flies, Ants, Spiders.

Pigeons, mice and rats too?

Some interesting diseases carried by that little lot.

Salmonellosis.
Typhoid Fever.
Cholera.
Dysentery.
Leprosy.
Plague.
Campylobacteriosis.
Listeriosis.
E. coli.
St. Louis encephalitis
Histoplasmosis.
Candidiasis.
Psittacosis
Hantavirus.
Leptospirosis.
Rat bite fever.
Rat tapeworm.

I cannot remember if Psittacosis has a silent P

Anyone care for an M&M?

No? How about some blue honey?

Last edited:
Likes Rive and Oldman too
  • #9,599
pinball1970 said:
Yuk.
Cockroaches, ants, wasps, Flies, Ants, Spiders.

Pigeons, mice and rats too?

Some interesting diseases carried by that little lot.

Salmonellosis.
Typhoid Fever.
Cholera.
Dysentery.
Leprosy.
Plague.
Campylobacteriosis.
Listeriosis.
E. coli.
St. Louis encephalitis
Histoplasmosis.
Candidiasis.
Salmonellosis.
Psittacosis
Hantavirus.
Leptospirosis.
Rat bite fever.
Rat tapeworm.

I cannot remember if Psittacosis has a silent P

Anyone care for an M&M?

No? How about some blue honey?
( Violently spitting out the M&Ms in my mouth. Almost killed a passer-by).

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Klystron and pinball1970
  • #9,600
@Oldman too : Upon doing a bit of reading, re our exchange on the over-sensitivity of Android phones, wonder if the problem may be related to a poorly-designed Gyroscope.

• #9,601
Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Oldman too and strangerep
  • #9,602
Meanwhile, in the police state of Russia, the government hands down first prison term for anti-war remarks
https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...and-politics-235ad386cb40fe07357425fdfe6a80f2
A court in Moscow sentenced a municipal council member to seven years in prison Friday for his remarks opposing the war in Ukraine. The unprecedented sentence raises the stakes for Kremlin critics in Russia who speak out against Moscow’s invasion of its ex-Soviet neighbor.

Alexei Gorinov was found guilty of spreading “knowingly false information” about the Russian military, an offense that carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison under a law the Russian parliament rubber-stamped a week after the Kremlin sent troops into Ukraine.

The 60-year-old member of Moscow’s Krasnoselsky municipal council is the first person sentenced to serve time behind bars for a conviction on that charge, according to Net Freedoms, a legal aid group focused on free speech cases.

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes Oldman too, pinball1970 and strangerep
  • #9,604
WWGD said:
@Oldman too : Upon doing a bit of reading, re our exchange on the over-sensitivity of Android phones, wonder if the problem may be related to a poorly-designed Gyroscope.
Hi @WWGD That thought has crossed my mind, particularly when noticing that changing orientation of the phone is the favorite time for the glitching to kick in. For some of the sensor errors it seems that resetting the phone is the first thing to try, these might be useful links for troubleshooting.
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_position
https://www.thecustomdroid.com/android-10-sensors-bug-fix-guide/

Likes WWGD
  • #9,605
World Championship Men
European Championship Women
Absolute Monarchy Qatar​
England: Land of Football​
Workers died building the Stadiums​
Football Temple as many as you wish​
No Beer​
Beer without End​
Fans sleep in Tents​
Premium Hostels in Diagon Alley​
It is … Winter​
Summer, Sun and Sunlight​

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,606
fresh_42 said:
There is a reason why hundreds of Russians have left the country heading to Finland, Turkey, and probably a few other countries. Not sure if Turkey was a better choice, but anyway.
Turkey's better only if you have a nice, crunchy bread, bacon, mayo , lettuce and tomato.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes strangerep and Oldman too
  • #9,607
After hearing white noise- sounds of rain from the forest, only change is I'm going to pee on the bathroom 2x as often!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,608
Oldman too said:
Hi @WWGD That thought has crossed my mind, particularly when noticing that changing orientation of the phone is the favorite time for the glitching to kick in. For some of the sensor errors it seems that resetting the phone is the first thing to try, these might be useful links for troubleshooting.
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_position
https://www.thecustomdroid.com/android-10-sensors-bug-fix-guide/
Seems someone farted the other day in eastern China, leading my phone to change its date format ; ).

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and Oldman too
  • #9,609
After emailing and asking my daughter if she's had a chance to fly the tail dragger airplane, this is what she replied:
It’s the aerobatic season now so I’ve been flying it on and off. Instrument training is a priority as I have my checkride on Tuesday. The tailwheel stuff can come later ...
Wish her luck on her check ride. I'm hoping she has some cool and dense air to fly in.

Likes Oldman too, WWGD, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #9,610
dlgoff said:
I'm hoping she has some cool and dense air to fly in.
After telling my daughter this, she replied with this:
It’s summer in Colorado and hot here, as well. You can really only fly in the early mornings.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,611
What does it mean for a function ##\varepsilon## to converge to ##\delta## at a point ##f##?

• #9,612
nuuskur said:
What does it mean for a function ##\varepsilon## to converge to ##\delta## at a point ##f##?
it means that you are a masochist

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
  • #9,613
Is anyone doing anything different tomorrow for Webb? Or just making sure they are near a stream/TV?

I have booked the day off and had a plan to get to the pub with the crossword, my tablet and headphones.

I would say the vast majority of the pub are not aware and /or don’t care but that’s fine.

From Where’s Webb today 13.13

1657541823996.png

I was talking to my mother about this recently and she asked where the telescope was.
I said, “They call it L2 mum, second Lagrange point.”
She said. “Is that in France love?”
I burst out laughing so she said (absolute truth) “Oh, somewhere more exotic then? Belarus?”

She is 80 next year.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, strangerep, WWGD and 3 others
  • #9,614
pinball1970 said:
Is anyone doing anything different tomorrow for Webb? Or just making sure they are near a stream/TV?

I have booked the day off and had a plan to get to the pub with the crossword, my tablet and headphones.

I would say the vast majority of the pub are not aware and /or don’t care but that’s fine.

From Where’s Webb today 13.13

View attachment 303995

I was talking to my mother about this recently and she asked where the telescope was.
I said, “They call it L2 mum, second Lagrange point.”
She said. “Is that in France love?”
I burst out laughing so she said (absolute truth) “Oh, somewhere more exotic then? Belarus?”

She is 80 next year.
Refer her to Waldo. " Webb is right next to Waldo/Wally".

• #9,615
WWGD said:
Refer her to Waldo. " Webb is right next to Waldo/Wally".
She may remember that. However, if she got a hint I was implying she was impaired mentally in any way and was making a joke at her expense that would not work out well for me.

Likes WWGD
  • #9,616
pinball1970 said:
She may remember that. However, if she got a hint I was implying she was impaired mentally in any way and was making a joke at her expense that would not work out well for me.
Yes, sorry, didn't mean it to imply that. Maybe I'm too cavalier with my jokes, comments at times.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,617
There are a pair of Falcons hanging around in the pine trees. They are very timid so I've only been able to watch them from the bedroom windows. They fly down and eat mice (?) and insects out of the yard. Here's an image of what they look like.
falcon.jpg

• Love
Likes Tom.G, Borg, Astronuc and 1 other person
  • #9,618
WWGD said:
Yes, sorry, didn't mean it to imply that. Maybe I'm too cavalier with my jokes, comments at times.
No probs sir! Don't change your style!

Likes WWGD
  • #9,619
dlgoff said:
There are a pair of Falcons hanging around in the pine trees. They are very timid so I've only been able to watch them from the bedroom windows. They fly down and eat mice (?) and insects out of the yard. Here's an image of what they look like.
View attachment 304008
Birds and the RSPB in the UK began my journey into the natural world. That and my first chemistry set! (Good Science programs too)

• Love
Likes dlgoff
  • #9,620
dlgoff said:
There are a pair of Falcons hanging around in the pine trees. They are very timid ...
@pinball1970
And their calls are very loud.

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,621
dlgoff said:
@pinball1970
And their calls are very loud.
Beautiful. Lots of different species and I have a few avid twitcher friends! (Bird watchers for no UK guys)
I will ask for a view regarding the specific type.

In terms of majestic?This little guy fascinated me as a kid. Faster than anything on the planet man made or via Evolution till the 1940s possibly

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-11-18-45-21~2.png
    Screenshot_2022-07-11-18-45-21~2.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 44
Likes dlgoff
  • #9,622
fresh_42 said:
There is a reason why hundreds of Russians have left the country heading to Finland, Turkey, and probably a few other countries. Not sure if Turkey was a better choice, but anyway.
That is money out with the people. Yes.

Last edited:
  • #9,623
pinball1970 said:
I'm working on a celebratory pub crawl. NASA Live does fit into the plans though. :biggrin:

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,624
Oldman too said:
I'm working on a celebratory pub crawl. NASA Live does fit into the plans though. :biggrin:
Celebrity?

Likes Oldman too
  • #9,625
I'd say legal advice from someone referring to a "Half a David" * may not be too reliable.

*Affidavit. clear after an hour what he meant. A full David may be too much. A Goliath...?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970