Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,576
I prefer the Gym.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,577
Enigman said:
I prefer the Gym.
I prefer the streets.

Temperature right now is 91F, but it feels like 108F. I'm in the city right now, in the forest it must be worst as humidity is higher. I think this picture represents quite well how I feel right now with these temperatures:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pinkamena-UGH-Face-336896921

• #1,578
I am reading Bukowski's Women now, and I found this passage:

We found the nearest bar. There were only two empty stools. We sat down. Bobby drew a male. I drew a female. Bobby and I ordered our drinks.

What does the "drew a male/female" mean? Neither earlier nor later context give any clues.

• #1,579
Borek said:
What does the "drew a male/female" mean? Neither earlier nor later context give any clues.
It means nothing to me. Pretty odd utterance.

• #1,580
Borek said:
Is it translated or original English?
I googled the phrases and no reference to the book came up.

• #1,581
Borek said:
Draw-drew-drawn?

• #1,582
Borek said:
We found the nearest bar. There were only two empty stools. We sat down. Bobby drew a male. I drew a female. Bobby and I ordered our drinks.
What does the "drew a male/female" mean?
Could the terms be being used to describe the styles of the stools? One with just a round-top and the other with a seat, back/sides...?

• #1,583
zoobyshoe said:
Thanks, but I got it: the image has to be square, apparently.
You look good as a square!

• #1,584
Borek said:
I'm clueless on that one.

"Draw" as a verb can mean several things. To choose a card. To pull out a weapon. To create a picture. To breathe. To provoke (draw fire). To attract (draw attention).

"Draw" as a noun can mean a tie (like in a game).

Holy moly, I never realized how many shades there are to the word. But in this context, the writer's intention is lost in translation, I think.

Last edited:
  • #1,585
lisab said:
I'm clueless on that one.

"Draw" as a verb can mean several things. To choose a card. To pull out a weapon. To create a picture. To breathe. To provoke (draw fire). To attract (draw attention).

"Draw" as a noun can mean a tie (like in a game).

Holy moly, I never realized how many shades there are to the word. But in this context, the writer's intention is lost in translation, I think.
One would need the context to understand the phrases. Not sure if male/female refer to people or objects.

• #1,586
lisab said:
"Draw" as a verb can mean several things. To choose a card...
It sounds like he meant it in the sense of drawing straws, like a blind choice. My first thought was that he was saying that one of them had ended up sitting next to a man, and the other, a woman. However, there would be no point in mentioning that unless they had some interaction with the people they sat next to, or there was something in the context that made the sex of the person they sat next to of interest, but Borek said there wasn't.

• #1,587
The bar had separate stools for men and women?

• #1,589
This is a longer quote:

We walked along the shoreline. Cecelia was happy. When the waves came in and ran over her bare feet she screamed. “You people go ahead,” I said, “I’m going to find a bar.” “I’ll come with you,” said Bobby. “I’ll watch over Cecelia,” Valerie said.

The woman next to me was 26, 27. Something had wearied her—her eyes and mouth looked tired—but she still held together in spite of it. Her hair was dark and well-kept. She had on a skirt and she had good legs. Her soul was topaz and you could see it in her eyes. I laid my leg against hers. She didn’t move away. I drained my drink.

I think Zooby is right, and I missed the context - I expected it to be in the same paragraph or earlier. Thanks.

• #1,590
Borek said:
This is a longer quote:
I think Zooby is right, and I missed the context - I expected it to be in the same paragraph or earlier. Thanks.
Yeah, in this context all he meant was, "There were only two empty stools and, as It turned out, he sat next to a guy and I sat next to a woman."

• #1,591
Borek said:
Bukowski wrote in English - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_(novel) - I doubt it was translated twice ;)
I saw a Russian translation, which was why i was wondering if your copy was in English. Because if it had been translated into Polish, that might have been the problem.

• #1,592
  • #1,593
A normal human has got one mouth and two ears. Maybe evolution is teaching us a lesson that it is more advantageous to listen than to speak. But I know too many people who do the opposite. Will they finally evolve into a new human species, a species with two mouths and only one ear? Oh, the horror...

• #1,594
Alice Montenegro or Adrastea Terrence.
meh... Alice Adrastea Terrence.
I could pull both Madam Mailce and Miss Terry gags with that...

• #1,595
I am bloody trying to teach differential calculation to a person. When I present them with a problem, they just give me an answer. I am crying inside "I do not care about the answer, show me what you did to find the answer!" :<

• #1,596
A new one showed up today! I'm guessing 12-ish.
They speak Chuuk, which rhymes with spook, and not Chuck.

And the answer was; "ee-sah ma-lay ma-tat"

The only person's name I learned was "eye see". He looked about 20, but claimed to be 45.

I am seriously in love with my new neighbors.
I went over and asked permission to sit down.
They said yes!
And they finished the limerick; "Nope, we know no one from Yap".

:)

• #1,597
The college dropout billionaire who’s revolutionizing medicine
A standout member among the new-editions to this very elite club is 30-year old college dropout Elizabeth Holmes. Holmes reportedly “labored in secret” for almost a decade while developing a revolutionary new blood-testing technology. In 2003 she took her findings to the public and founded Theranos-- the company announced partnerships with Walgreens and other major drugstores to bring a new type of blood testing to consumers. Holmes’ technology calls only for a single finger-prick and a very small amount of blood for medical testing—as opposed to the full vial (or vials) of blood typically drawn for testing in most labs and medical offices. The prick is said to be painless and Theranos’ testing-methods only a fraction of the cost of commercial labs.

The biotech founder is the youngest self-made woman on the Forbes 400 list with a net worth of $4.5 billion. Holmes dropped out of Stanford University her sophomore year as a chemical engineering major and used her tuition money to found her company. Holmes’ tests do not have to be performed in a doctor’s office, and by skipping the big labs most results can be ready in a few hours. “She could totally overturn an entire industry if Theranos is as successful as it seems to be,” says Brown.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/meet-...tionizing-the-medical-industry-170558675.html

Likes OmCheeto and Medicol
  • #1,599
One may have to pay depending on 'How one does it', because apparently 'How one uses How matters'.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/word-trademarked-does-headline-022049822.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,600
The Female Programmers Who Created Modern Tech
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...paign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202406

"Ada Lovelace is Lord Byron's child, and her mother, Lady Byron, did not want her to turn out to be like her father, a romantic poet," says Isaacson. So Lady Byron "had her tutored almost exclusively in mathematics as if that were an antidote to being poetic."

Lovelace saw the poetry in math. At 17, she went to a London salon and met Charles Babbage. He showed her plans for a machine that he believed would be able to do complex mathematical calculations. He asked Lovelace to write about his work for a scholarly journal. In her article, Lovelace expresses a vision for his machine that goes beyond calculations.
. . . .

Grace Hopper on Letterman

Likes Medicol
  • #1,601
Astronuc said:
One may have to pay depending on 'How one does it', because apparently 'How one uses How matters'.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/word-trademarked-does-headline-022049822.html

Oh! That give me a great idea. Someone should trademark "Like", and charge a penny per instance of clicking. They'd be a trillionaire in no time. :)

Oh wait,

On Wednesday, April 21, 2010, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for LIKE by Facebook Inc., Palo Alto, CA 94301. The USPTO has given the LIKE trademark serial number of 85020068. (ref)

[expletive deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes edward and zoobyshoe
  • #1,603
How does one fall for the same person three four flipping times?
-__-

• #1,604
The Chuuks have invited over more Chuuks. I hear many women singing a cappella from inside their house. It sounds wonderful. :)
They did this the other night also. I wonder if they are singing for the coming eclipse in the morning?
I can't understand a word of it.

Likes edward and Medicol
  • #1,605
OmCheeto said:
The Chuuks have invited over more Chuuks. I hear many women singing a cappella from inside their house. It sounds wonderful. :)
They did this the other night also. I wonder if they are singing for the coming eclipse in the morning?
I can't understand a word of it.

Are you sure that they are just singing?

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,606
I can't believe it that there are still a lot of tiny company owners getting "excited" about others's master or phd thesis. I think they want to get the ideas to build their own stuff and sell them for money. :DD

• #1,608
I wrote a small booklet to pretentiously follow up on Wiener's book " I am a Mathematician". My booklet is
just titled "So am I".

• #1,609
exclamation-yellow-sign_small.jpg

Alert! I have mislaid one of my books at home. If anybody knows where it is please pm me asap. Even though the new PF interface and functionality is mighty nice, there is no longer any blog function. This means you can not write any blog post which describes where my book may be, so you will have to use pm.

If you are a real true friend you also have the option to write and upload a paper about the possibilities and probabilities of where the book might be. If you choose to do so, I will happily review the paper and provide feedback to the author. Acceptable scientific journals are listed here: http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/.

(Note: there are some people who stubbornly claim that I am egotistical. The problem those people have is that they do not understand that their opinions are not as important as mine.)

Likes Enigman
  • #1,610
New Year is coming :(