Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #1,646
I am sorry for the poor quality, I used the best camera I have.
IMG_1472261141.335387.jpg

Here I have a Solenopsis Invicta or also known as Red Imported Fire Ant queen! In this picture she is tending about 60ish eggs and also some hatched larva that will comprise the first generation of ants. I am raising her in a test tube and can not wait for the larva to spin their cocoons and become adults! She will raise about 10 of her first children to adulthood completely off of body reserves, she does not eat a single thing throughout this entire process! Once her first 'generation' become adults I will give her a much needed meal. Any food given at this stage will be rejected and will become moldy. I can't have that! As you can likely tell I am very exited about this and am looking forward to raising an ant colony. I have done this because of a deep interest I have in social insects, however, the neighborhood I live in did not allow me to keep honey bees. I love social insects and so I have posted this here because maybe somebody else loves them as well! :D

Does anybody have any tips if they have done this before? It's not uncommon right?

Attachments

• IMG_1472261123.005301.jpg
    IMG_1472261123.005301.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Likes davenn, Sophia and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,647
DennisN said:
Three more nectar thieves I caught on photo yesterday...
28611449284_8bf395dea4_c.jpg
What a beautiful Bee Fly! Do you take a lot of pictures of insects DennisN?

Likes DennisN
  • #1,648
Hoophy said:
What a beautiful Bee Fly! Do you take a lot of pictures of insects DennisN?
Not usually, but for some reason I have done so lately. It is a bit tricky, it requires patience, timing and the will to take many photos where only a few turn out to be sharp and fine... animals are often a real challenge to photograph... :smile:

Likes Hoophy
  • #1,649
Three more nectar thieves caught on photo today... :smile:

29269267325_0aa3b3353b_c.jpg

29269266165_f3e16e54d0_c.jpg

29269265655_8ba1fefe0d_c.jpg

Likes davenn, Hoophy, Sophia and 1 other person
  • #1,650
Hoophy said:
I am sorry for the poor quality, I used the best camera I have.
View attachment 105139
Here I have a Solenopsis Invicta or also known as Red Imported Fire Ant queen! In this picture she is tending about 60ish eggs and also some hatched larva that will comprise the first generation of ants. I am raising her in a test tube and can not wait for the larva to spin their cocoons and become adults! She will raise about 10 of her first children to adulthood completely off of body reserves, she does not eat a single thing throughout this entire process! Once her first 'generation' become adults I will give her a much needed meal. Any food given at this stage will be rejected and will become moldy. I can't have that! As you can likely tell I am very exited about this and am looking forward to raising an ant colony. I have done this because of a deep interest I have in social insects, however, the neighborhood I live in did not allow me to keep honey bees. I love social insects and so I have posted this here because maybe somebody else loves them as well! :D

Does anybody have any tips if they have done this before? It's not uncommon right?
What an interesting project, Hoophy. Please keep us updated. I'd like to see how the ants grow! What will you feed the Queen once she can eat?

Amazing photos @DennisN :-)

• #1,651
Sophia said:
What an interesting project, Hoophy. Please keep us updated. I'd like to see how the ants grow! What will you feed the Queen once she can eat?
Yes, I will feed her once the exoskeletons of her first workers have hardened. I will provide a drop of honey and a cricket leg. :)

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
  • #1,652
Amazing DennisN, nectar thefts are colorful and have become energetic. :biggrin:

Likes DennisN
  • #1,653
too cute :smile:

Likes Tsu, DennisN and Pepper Mint
  • #1,654
Thanks @Sophia and @Pepper Mint! I think I have got the insect bug right now... :biggrin: I think I am going to look for ants and spiders the next time I go on a photo shoot... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42, Hoophy and Sophia
  • #1,655

Likes Sophia, Tsu and davenn
  • #1,656
Those eyes... :biggrin:

Likes Tsu and Pepper Mint
  • #1,657
hahaha good one :)

Likes DennisN
  • #1,658
I miss you Chihuahua named Miley.

Likes Sophia and DennisN
  • #1,659
DennisN said:
Those eyes... :biggrin:

Hmmm, looks like the usual reaction in a bank - customer - relationship ...

Likes Sophia and DennisN
  • #1,660
fresh_42 said:
Hmmm, looks like the usual reaction in a bank - customer - relationship ...
:DD

• #1,662
DennisN said:

Another example of taking an interest in human technology:

Although I suppose one could question whether this is really human technology...

Likes collinsmark and DennisN
  • #1,663
jtbell said:
Another example of taking an interest in human technology:

Although I suppose one could question whether this is really human technology...

Nice :smile:, but don't neglect my contribution to the cat game genera!

Links:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Hoophy and DennisN
  • #1,664
I love both dogs and cats. :DD
I find it funny the way they ( or the cats!:rolleyes: )have decided to stay arch rivals of one another for eternity, fighting and staring and all that. :olduhh:

Once in our locality, we found out a cat and a dog sleeping back to back.:oldsurprised: That was kidda cute.

German-Shepherd-and-cat.jpg

I think it was a good cat. :oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

Likes DennisN, Pepper Mint and fresh_42
  • #1,665
This is not our cat, but it seems to have semi-adopted us. We often see it lounging on the front steps, or on the deck, or underneath one of our cars, etc. It likes to look for game in the ivy that covers a large part of our yard.

cat.jpg

Likes DennisN, Tsu and Sophia
  • #1,666
Wow, that's a huge cat!

Here's a pic of a bull I sold a friend of mine 3 years ago.. he's 4 years old now and has become rather impressive.. weighs around 2400 lbs.. still thinks he's a baby.. He does know how to pose nicely though

20160913_083445sm.jpg

Found this little guy in my hayfield while I was cutting it.. had to move him out of the way
20160707_192248sm.jpg

Likes DennisN, Sophia and Borg
  • #1,667
Octopus Escapes Through Tiny Crack in Boat

Likes CynicusRex
  • #1,668
DennisN said:
Octopus Escapes Through Tiny Crack in Boat

These guys' brain size is a role model on far too many humans ... :cool:

Likes DennisN
  • #1,669

Likes Psinter
  • #1,670
This made me laugh :DD:

hAcYYjG.jpg

Likes collinsmark, fresh_42 and DennisN
  • #1,671
comment_moqdeGGxBbXYMD1LPrzT9xzBGamizErl.jpg

Likes CynicusRex, Psinter and Bystander
  • #1,672
funny-picture-i-start-my-journey-today-and-i-walnut-fail-540x421.jpg

Likes DennisN
  • #1,673

• #1,674
Likes Sophia and fresh_42
  • #1,675
funny-goat-mountains-rocks.jpg

It's okay because if she falls on the water, she receives 0 damage.

Wait... that's only in video games.

I think that's a good question for physics: If you fall from a very very high distance and hit water, does it hurt you? The answer is yes, but can the force exerted on you be calculated? After all, some of that kinetic energy will be transformed into waves. I don't think it can be assumed that the same amount of force you hit the water will rebound to you because of the conservation of energy (it's not an elastic collision). Some will get transformed and spread in a different direction. Being able to calculate it with precision... that'd be great.

• #1,676
DennisN said:
A fascinating animal...
Big-eared-townsend-fledermaus.jpg

Townsend's big-eared bat (image from Wikipedia)
Bats are great! I wish I could spend some time in a cave with bats. And it would be cool if there were prehistoric drawings, too. Ideally, it would be a place near the surface with a small amount of daylight.

I was born on October 30, so that could explain why I like all things and animals mysterious and scary for some people. Including bats :-)

Likes DennisN
  • #1,677
Meet Daniel the Duck, an emotional support animal.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/airplane-passengers-fall-love-emotional-support-duck-accompanying-192315632--abc-news-topstories.html

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,678
mg0DFYT.gif

Snow!
hBriGot.gif

• #1,679
Literally a couple of metres outside my rear door...

Life is hard in Kangaroo Heaven...
Kangaroos.jpg

"Ooooh, hey doodes,... check out the purple koala in that tree over there."

[Although you can only see a few here, there's literally a couple of hundred in my complex. They're not tame, and nearby signs warn to treat them as wild animals and not to approach them. But the female at the front is gradually getting used to me. I think the others have formed a conspiracy to imprison me by creating a poo barrier outside my door. :oldruck:]

Calling this place "Kangaroo Heaven" is probably accurate: no predators or annoying dogs running around this complex. Plus a steady supply of good quality grass, maintained by professionals, i.e., golf course groundsmen. :oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
Likes Borg, Psinter, Sophia and 1 other person
  • #1,680
That needs a caption - What are roo looking at? :oldtongue:

Likes fresh_42