Significant digits and easy average speed/ velocity questions

In summary: I am finding average speed, and the distance is in km and time in minutes. Do I convert the minutes into seconds before I do the calculation, or should I convert km/min to km/h after all of the calculations. It doesn't matter, as long as you are consistent. In this case, it might be easier to convert the km/h to km/min so that you don't have to deal with decimals. In summary, the conversation discusses questions about significant digits and conversions in various scenarios such as finding average speed and velocity. The main points are to consider direction in velocity calculations, to use exact numbers when converting to minutes or other units, and to be consistent with units throughout the calculations.
Pruzhinkin

Homework Statement

Here is a few examples where i am wondering as to how many significant digits to leave
3.5L/100km * 2279km = 79.765 ---> In this case am i supposed to round to 2 significant digits because of 3.5 which has two?

1.2L/100km * 63km = 0.756, i leave it as 0.76 right?

How about 31/90 = would i leave the answer as 0.3 or 0.34?
Also, if i am finding an answer for total time per mode of transport in this case, do i leave it as let's say 0.3 hours or convert it into 18min?

Also, i know how to find average speed - total distance/ total time, but what if in this case it includes two segments in the total time -do i still do the total distance/ total time. I think it makes sense as that would basically be description of average speed.

Average velocity is found by total displacement/ total time
. I know that average velocity can be found by drawing a line and finding its slope but if i can see from the graph total displacement without finding the slope, can i just do the equation?

Homework Equations

Average speed = total distance/ total time
Average velocity = change in position/ change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i basically explained everything under the "Problem Statement"
I am sorry that i am not completely using the template as i did not know how to formulate the question correctly. I understand that this is simple, but i am just getting confused - i can never move on until i know that i have everything figured out 100%. Thanks in advance, as this is really important

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pruzhinkin said:

Homework Statement

Here is a few examples where i am wondering as to how many significant digits to leave
3.5L/100km * 2279km = 79.765 ---> In this case am i supposed to round to 2 significant digits because of 3.5 which has two?
100 in theory has just 1 significant figure..but in any case, you get 80 for the answer
0.8 is more likely correct, but any person of reason would accept 0.76
same reasoning as above...but I'd use 0.34, it makes more sense to me..
Also, if i am finding an answer for total time per mode of transport in this case, do i leave it as let's say 0.3 hours or convert it into 18min?
now you must use .34444(60) = 20.66 min, or the answer would be 21 seconds or 20.7 might be fine. Bottom line is that significant figure rules are not always to be applied universally...it depends on the problem...even a 5th grader knoews that 33/3 = 11 and not 10 :wink:

Also, i know how to find average speed - total distance/ total time, but what if in this case it includes two segments in the total time -do i still do the total distance/ total time. I think it makes sense as that would basically be description of average speed.
yes, correct
Average velocity is found by total displacement/ total time
. I know that average velocity can be found by drawing a line and finding its slope but if i can see from the graph total displacement without finding the slope, can i just do the equation?
well, sort of, find total displacement vector and divide by time...but direction is important...you must indicate the direction of the average velocity

So do you think there is any reason to convert it to minutes? I do not know if i should or not as the question does not indicate whether it should be in hours or minutes. See the 31/90 is 31km/90km/h to find the total time per mode of transport. In the first cause you said that 0.34 is the correct answer, but when changing into minutes i am supposed to us 0.34444(60) which will give me 20.66 min. In your opinion should i leave the answer as hours or minutes? Also the main idea that your mentioning is that when converting into minutes i am supposed to use the exact number (e.g 0.34444 not 0.34), right?

Oh and if 100km was written as 100.0km it would have 3 significant digits?
And for 3.5L/100km * 2279km = 79.765 does 80 not feel to vague?
Or do i just leave it as 80 because of the one significant digit?

Also another quick question, for example i am finding average speed, and the distance is in km and time in minutes. Do i convert the minutes into seconds before i do the calculation, or should i convert km/min to km/h after all of the calculations.

Thanks for your awesome help:)

Pruzhinkin said:
So do you think there is any reason to convert it to minutes? I do not know if i should or not as the question does not indicate whether it should be in hours or minutes. See the 31/90 is 31km/90km/h to find the total time per mode of transport. In the first cause you said that 0.34 is the correct answer, but when changing into minutes i am supposed to us 0.34444(60) which will give me 20.66 min. In your opinion should i leave the answer as hours or minutes?
Oh most people I suppose don't talk about tenths or hundredths of an hours, so I'd opt for minutes, and use 21 minutes as the answer.
Also the main idea that your mentioning is that when converting into minutes i am supposed to use the exact number (e.g 0.34444 not 0.34), right?
that's right, do the intermediate work to as many decimals as you can, then use sig figs and round off rules at the very end. Otherwrise, your error might be large (you'd get only 18 seconds instead of 21 if you used 0.3 hours instead of 0.344444hours; and you'd get 20 seconds instead of 21 if you used 0.34 hours instead of the 0.3444444444.
Also another quick question, for example i am finding average speed, and the distance is in km and time in minutes. Do i convert the minutes into seconds before i do the calculation, or should i convert km/min to km/h after all of the calculations.

Thanks for your awesome help:)
It doesn't much matter if you do all your intermediate calcs to a lot of decimal points until you get to the end. Suppose an object covers a total distance of 125 km in 55 minutes. Its average speed would be 125/55 = 2.2727 km/min, or that's 2.3 km/min rounded to 2 sig figs. If you wanted it in km/hr, then its 2.2727(60) = 136.36 km/hr, or to 2 sig figs, 140 km/hr. Now if you converted up front, it's (125)/(55/60) = 136.36 km/hr = 140 km/hr to 2 sig figs.

Perfect, thank- you so much!

Hi Pruzhinkin! :smile:

I disagree, I think it should be 2 sig figs in each case, because I think you should ignore the 100 km completely
Pruzhinkin said:

The question is, how accurate is the 100 km supposed to be?

If someone ran 100 m in 11.3 seconds, would you work out the speed to 1 sig fig?

Of course not … the 100 may look like 1 sig fig, but it's almost certainly been measured extremely accurately (presumably at least as accurately as the stop-watch's accuracy justifies).

So you ignore it!

To put it another way, suppose your question said .035L/1km, would you treat that as two figures, one of which is "1" to 1 sig fig, or would you treat it as one figure ("3.5"), the units of which are L/km ?

As a matter of common-sense, you can safely assume that when the manufacturers (if they're telling the truth! :rolleyes:) measured the fuel consumption, they chose a distance measured to at least the accuracy required to justify the 2 sig figs in the published result.

Depends what the 90 is. If eg it's a reading on a car's milometer (what's the metric word for it? a kilometerometer? :confused:), common-sense tells us that they give readings to the nearest unit. :wink:

(But if it's nautical miles, without the benefit of GPS, it probably is only 1 sig fig. :biggrin:)

I've no idea! :redface:

(btw, for sig figs in adding numbers, see Borek's :smile: post in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=441877")

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Significant digits and easy average speed/ velocity questions

1. What are significant digits and why are they important in science?

Significant digits, also known as significant figures, are the digits in a number that carry meaning and contribute to its precision. In science, it is important to use the correct number of significant digits in calculations and measurements to ensure accuracy and avoid misleading results.

2. How do you determine the number of significant digits in a measurement or calculation?

The general rule for determining significant digits is to start counting from the first non-zero digit and continue counting until the end of the number. Any zeros between non-zero digits are also considered significant. However, there are specific rules for certain situations, such as trailing zeros after a decimal point or in a number without a decimal point.

3. How do you round a number to the correct number of significant digits?

When rounding a number, the last significant digit should be increased by one if the digit to its right is 5 or greater. If the digit to the right is less than 5, the last significant digit should remain the same. If the digit to the right is 5 and there are no other non-zero digits to the right, the last significant digit should be increased by one if it is odd, but should remain the same if it is even.

4. Can significant digits affect the outcome of a calculation?

Yes, significant digits can affect the outcome of a calculation. Using the incorrect number of significant digits can result in a less accurate or even incorrect answer. It is important to pay attention to significant digits throughout the entire calculation process.

5. How is average speed/velocity calculated and what is the significance of the units?

Average speed/velocity is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. The units for speed/velocity are distance divided by time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour. The units are significant because they provide information about the rate of change in distance over time.