Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge

• Thread starter Enigman
  • Start date
In summary: Four princes approach the king vying for the hand of the princess. In order to choose the best among the four suitors the king and the princess arrange a test: the suitors are brought to a large rectangular hall. The floor is covered with a carpet all over except at the corners- where there are four squares of bare floor and the suitors are told to stand at these corner. Each suitor takes a corner and stands there while the princess stands at the center of the hall. The king then proclaims the prince who without leaving their respective squares shall put a ring on the princess's hand will be declared to be the bridegroom of his daughter and the heir to Enigmania. No ropes or rods are
So fruit is involved! :biggrin:

Let me see, hmm, I would say pomegranate. :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Enigman said:
Bottle is fine and filled with water. What's your favourite fruit Gad?

Ok, cause it's locked inside a broken vending machine. :biggrin:

Gad said:
Ok, cause it's locked inside a broken vending machine. :biggrin:

OK...that's acceptable I guess...:rolleyes:
Assume that the bottle is perfectly fine and is filled with liquid water and is in my hands. Also to make the enigma more solvable- If you did accept the bet I would do something to it which would make pouring the water out impossible- before handing the bottle to you.
hint:
Enigma is a physical one and a rather cool one at that.

Last edited:
You must be thirsty to hold it in your hand. :p

Gad said:

I wouldn't drink it...
:wink:

Enigman said:
I wouldn't drink it...
:wink:

Also I don't know if I could hold it for too long...

First guess is-
The bottle is actually made out of ice. By the time you pour out some water it can be argued that some ice melted and there is some water inside the ice. Holding it would be a pain too.

consciousness said:
First guess is-
The bottle is actually made out of ice. By the time you pour out some water it can be argued that some ice melted and there is some water inside the ice. Holding it would be a pain too.
No.
Also doesn't explain why you would leave a hundred bucks and not take the bet...
The enigma is really cool!

The bottle has mostly oil in it. (Its an emulsion.)

Another answer-

The bet took place at one of the poles. The water will simply freeze when you try to pour it out. Taking the ice out will be a real challenge.

My guess is something like
you are going to squeeze the bottle, put the cap on, then pop the bottle back into shape creating a vacuum inside and preventing you from ever uncapping it. Is this actually possible, I do not know

consciousness said:
Another answer-

The bet took place at one of poles. The water will simply freeze when you try to pour it out. Taking the ice out will be a real challenge.

No. It can be done anywhere.
And the bottle contains only H2O
:biggrin:

Office_Shredder said:
My guess is something like
you are going to squeeze the bottle, put the cap on, then pop the bottle back into shape creating a vacuum inside and preventing you from ever uncapping it. Is this actually possible, I do not know

It isn't. The bottle won't regain its shape...I have tried this before.
As I said it is a really cool enigma...

The bottle is a hard plastic (can't be deformed) and you just removed it from a very cold freezer. The pressure in the bottle was 1 atmosphere going in, so with the temperature decrease it is now much less than one atmosphere. You shouldn't be able to open it until the bottle warms back up again (which if it's a thermos for example will be a very long time)
This doesn't have you doing something to the bottle after the bet is made so it can't be what you're thinking of, but possibly something along these lines.

Office_Shredder said:
The bottle is a hard plastic (can't be deformed) and you just removed it from a very cold freezer.
So far so good.
The pressure in the bottle was 1 atmosphere going in, so with the temperature decrease it is now much less than one atmosphere. You shouldn't be able to open it until the bottle warms back up again (which if it's a thermos for example will be a very long time)
Water expands on freezing so the pressure should be greater.
This is a super cool enigma!
That was a huge hint.

Oops I didn't realize it's totally filled with liquid, I was thinking just partially filled.

The water inside the bottle is supercooled. It will crystallize the moment you open the cap. You then have to wait for a long time in order to pour water out of it (till it melts).

consciousness said:
The water inside the bottle is supercooled. It will crystallize the moment you open the cap. You then have to wait for a long time in order to pour water out of it (till it melts).

Actually I shake it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lISK1YFcZBM

Gad said:
So fruit is involved! :biggrin:

Let me see, hmm, I would say pomegranate. :-p

Here you go Gad, made some ice pops for you with the ice:
http://timescity.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Easy-Pomegranate-Ice-Pops-21-300x199.jpg

Thanks a bunch! :-p They look yummy. *plans on getting some soon*:!)

There is a minor flaw. This would only work if the other guy knows that the water is
Supercooled.

Next one-

A man leads a mundane corporate life on the 100th floor of a building. Perhaps disgusted with himself, he jumps through a window on the wall with great speed. There is nothing to cushion his fall down like wires etc. He is wearing only his formal attire when he jumps. He escapes mostly unhurt. How?

Nothing says it's an exterior window - he jumps through the window and lands in the conference room, utterly embarrased

Office_Shredder said:
Nothing says it's an exterior window - he jumps through the window and lands in the conference room, utterly embarrased

Correct!

A new homeowner walks into the hardware store* to buy some items for her new home. After deciding on a style she likes, she examines the pricing:
1 costs $4
16 costs $8
128 costs $12​
What type of items is she buying for her home?

*A home improvement warehouse would also qualify, but it isn't necessary. Pretty much any small or large, residential** oriented hardware store should carry such items.***

**As opposed to "industrial."

***This might be somewhat culturally biased. But I don't know of any exceptions to the statement, off hand. [Edit: Ever since learning this riddle many years ago, every time I enter a new hardware store that I haven't been to before, I wander around looking for such items, just to check that they carry them; sure enough, every hardware store that I have checked carries them.]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
A new homeowner walks into the hardware store* to buy some items for her new home. After deciding on a style she likes, she examines the pricing:
1 costs $4
16 costs $8
128 costs $12​
What type of items is she buying for her home?
I'm not sure about the wording, "type of item". If we consider all nails to be the same "type" of item, one foot-long spike might cost $4 while 128 smaller nails might cost $12.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm not sure about the wording, "type of item". If we consider all nails to be the same "type" of item, one foot-long spike might cost $4 while 128 smaller nails might cost $12.
Although the items she is buying might not be truly identical, they are all of the same style, and all approximately the same size as each other (roughly speaking, anyway). [Edit: They at least all have the same height. The width might vary from one to the next.]

So, nails. Let's check:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/webapp/catalog/servlet/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&searchRedirect=nails&redAB=A&N=5yc1vZc2dx
Sorry Zooby, but no. I'm going to have to go with "no" on nails and/or spikes.

Hint: If you browse around Home Depot's website, you can find the correct type of items (rounded to the nearest dollar anyway [as of today]). http://www.homedepot.com

Last edited:
Speculation as to what is happening with no attempt at generating a final solution
1,16 and 128 do not refer to the number of items being bought, but are describing an item in some other way. Perhaps the strength of some weight bearing object

Office_Shredder said:
Speculation as to what is happening with no attempt at generating a final solution
1,16 and 128 do not refer to the number of items being bought, but are describing an item in some other way. Perhaps the strength of some weight bearing object

Yes and no. It is not required to know any subtle or hidden properties about this type of item*. Pretty much everything one needs to know is worded quite literally (and correctly [including verb conjugations]) in the original riddle.

*(any more than a typical homeowner would know).

collinsmark said:
Although the items she is buying might not be truly identical, they are all of the same style, and all approximately the same size as each other (roughly speaking, anyway). [Edit: They at least all have the same height. The width might vary from one to the next.]

So, nails. Let's check:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/webapp/catalog/servlet/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&searchRedirect=nails&redAB=A&N=5yc1vZc2dx
Sorry Zooby, but no. I'm going to have to go with "no" on nails and/or spikes.

Hint: If you browse around Home Depot's website, you can find the correct type of items (rounded to the nearest dollar anyway [as of today]). http://www.homedepot.com
So, there is no important difference between the units you pay $4 a piece for and the ones you pay $12/128 for, correct? The only interesting thing here is that the more you buy the more dramatically the price drops per unit.

Er...batteries?
1V 16V 128V
(don't think its the answer, but that's only thing I can come up with as pen drives won't be sold in hardware stores and no one would buy 1 watt bulbs*...)
EDIT-*unless its LED

I'm thinking the fact that all the 1's line up might not just be formatting but a clue to something... it's not 16 as in sixteen, it's 16 as in one-six. 128 as in one-two-eight.

Observation from the above post:
Actually from the hint above I realize it's clear now that it should say "16 cost $8" instead of costs, so for the verb conjugation to be correct 16 is still referring to a single item, not multiple items.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
So, there is no important difference between the units you pay $4 a piece for and the ones you pay $12/128 for, correct?
That's not quite the right way to interpret the wording.

Office_Shredder said:
Observation from above post:
Actually from the hint above I realize it's clear now that it should say "16 cost $8" instead of costs, so for the verb conjugation to be correct 16 is still referring to a single item, not multiple items.
You are correct; that's not the final answer, but your deduction is valid.

Enigman said:
Er...batteries?
1V 16V 128V
(don't think its the answer, but that's only thing I can come up with as pen drives won't be sold in hardware stores and no one would buy 1 watt bulbs*...)
EDIT-*unless its LED
I'm going to have to go with "no" on batteries.

128 volt batteries would be pretty intense... anything past about 40 volts is considered to be high voltage and typically requires extra safety standards because if you place it against your skin it can pass sufficient current through your heart to stop it (or something like that)