Surviving the Worst Case Scenarios: A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: Your kill rate is almost as high as your survival rate, check back with us... In summary, you are an expert at surviving in extreme situations. You know how to handle most of the scenarios, but you might have made a few fatal choices. You would be a decent addition to a group of travellers that could be faced with extreme situations.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok, I took this without looking for answers. I want to know who else here I want to be with in a Worst Case Scenario. Please take it the first time without looking up answers.

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=2971598099975131682

Trooper

Your survival rate is 70% and your "certain death" rate is 12%.

You know how to handle about half of the scenarios, which makes you quite a resourceful person. You might have made a few fatal choices, but the right choices certaintly outweigh those. You would be a decent addition to a group of travellers that could be faced with extreme situations.

http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/2264/mt11152581933yk.jpg

My test tracked 2 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 70% on SurvivalRate

You scored higher than 46% on DeathRate

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Trooper
Your survival rate is 61% and your "certain death" rate is 0%.
You know how to handle about half of the scenarios, which makes you quite a resourceful person. You might have made a few fatal choices, but the right choices certaintly outweigh those. You would be a decent addition to a group of travellers that could be faced with extreme situations.

If you are wondering how you can find out answers to most of the questions from this test, you can find them online if you search for them. If you liked my test please rate it highly below, and feel free to send me feedback. Thanks!

My test tracked 2 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

Trooper
Your survival rate is 54% and your "certain death" rate is 37%.

If you are wondering how you can find out answers to most of the questions from this test, you can find them online if you search for them. If you liked my test please rate it highly below, and feel free to send me feedback. Thanks!

You scored higher than 99% on SurvivalRate

You scored higher than 99% on DeathRate

Evo, you need to find a site that offers tests to NON-members

cyrusabdollahi said:
Trooper
Your survival rate is 61% and your "certain death" rate is 0%.
At least you didn't kill anyone. :-p

I hope we get a few that rank as "survivors".

edit:Don't let yomamma go camping with us.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
yomamma said:
Evo, you need to find a site that offers tests to NON-members
Just create a bogus membership, that's what I did.

I did that once but I forgot my name and then it knew my email...

eventually I figured it out

Trooper
Your survival rate is 70% and your "certain death" rate is 12%.

Dunno how I did that!

Trooper as well. 70%/58%. Hmmm... I'm going to have to study those links. (On the other hand, I never go near tall buildings, sharks, or alligators.)

I am Hopeful: Your survival rate is 51% and your "certain death" rate is 25%

Trooper
Your survival rate is 74% and your "certain death" rate is 0%.

Have been survival instructor for Aircrew combat survival,

Would have been ashamed if it was less:

Survivor

Your survival rate is 77% and your "certain death" rate is 0%.
There are likely only a couple extreme scenarios that you don't know how to handle. You have made very few, if any, fatal choices. Any group of travellers should be very glad to have someone like you along for a trip.

Andre said:
Have been survival instructor for Aircrew combat survival,

Would have been ashamed if it was less:
Andre, you're definitely coming. So is Wolram, Kurdt and Cyrus. Danger, your kill rate is almost as high as your survival rate, check back with us after you read that book. :wink:

Trooper
Your survival rate is 64% and your "certain death" rate is 12%

Danger said:
Trooper as well. 70%/58%. Hmmm... I'm going to have to study those links. (On the other hand, I never go near tall buildings, sharks, or alligators.)

Danger, Danger, Danger ahead.:smile:

I'm hopeful 48/37!

Comment: Nice test! I'm very curious to know the answers.(although it was full of words that I didn't know..:blushing: )

Trooper

Survival rate is 70% and your "certain death" rate is 0% :smile:

You scored higher than 99% on SurvivalRate

You scored higher than 99% on DeathRate
Survivor
Your survival rate is 80% and your "certain death" rate is 12%.
There are likely only a couple extreme scenarios that you don't know how to handle. You have made very few, if any, fatal choices. Any group of travellers should be very glad to have someone like you along for a trip.

I didn't even cheat. My Army buddies would be proud. I did learn some things.

FredGarvin said:
Survivor
I didn't even cheat. My Army buddies would be proud. I did learn some things.
You must be cruak? because I'm PFer and I also got an 80% survival rate (0% certain death rate though, he he).

Survivor

You scored higher than 91% on SurvivalRate

You scored higher than 37% on DeathRate

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I killed the guy with the defibrilator. :redface:

I took that test a while ago, so had to look up my score:
Trooper
Your survival rate is 67% and your "certain death" rate is 25%.

I'm sure I lost points on things like what position to land upon cardboard boxes in a dumpster...my survival strategy is to avoid jumping from high buildings into dumpsters in the first place. :rolleyes:

No, it said jumping into a dumpster. Not a dumpster full of cardboard boxes. That's why you don't want to land on your back.

cyrusabdollahi said:
No, it said jumping into a dumpster. Not a dumpster full of cardboard boxes. That's why you don't want to land on your back.
It was a while ago that I took it, so couldn't remember the exact question. I thought there were boxes to land on somewhere. :rolleyes:

What if there's a broken bottle in the dumpster and you impale yourself? Or its a dumpster for disused spikes? I was not fond of that question either.

Moonbear said:
It was a while ago that I took it, so couldn't remember the exact question. I thought there were boxes to land on somewhere. :rolleyes:

It's always better to look before you leep when posting, eh? :wink:

I'm wondering about the "jump when the elevator crashes". If you're in the elevator, how do you know when the exact moment of impact is so you know when to jump? That won't work.

Evo said:
I'm wondering about the "jump when the elevator crashes". If you're in the elevator, how do you know when the exact moment of impact is so you know when to jump? That won't work.
I chose to lie flat on the floor...that way there is more surface area to absorb the impact. Not sure if I was right or not.

larkspur said:
I chose to lie flat on the floor...that way there is more surface area to absorb the impact. Not sure if I was right or not.
Was one of the choices on that to stand really relaxed, with knees bent? If so, that's the one I picked (otherwise, that was my answer to something else :smile:...maybe I should flip through the quiz again to remind myself of the questions :rolleyes:). I'd figure you could absorb some of the impact while crumpling to the floor if you were careful not to lock up all your joints, which would otherwise lead to lots of broken bones.

Your back is the last place you ever want to land...unless you want to become paralyzed.

larkspur said:

I picked the same, i think there was a thread about why jumping would not work.

So what, you're telling me its NOT safe to jump away from a building in order to land into the dumpster up against the building? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well, I know that from any significant height, you do not jump away from a building in order to fall into something below it. It was more than adequately proven by stuntmen/women diving into airbags. There's a lateral 'ground effect' that pushes you away from the building as you fall. If you jump outward, you'll land half-way across the street.

wolram said:
I picked the same, i think there was a thread about why jumping would not work.

I think just considering the relative speed from the point of view of the bottom of the lift shaft would convince anyone this is a bad idea.

Kurdt said:
I think just considering the relative speed from the point of view of the bottom of the lift shaft would convince anyone this is a bad idea.

Maybe this is a trick question as it seems all methods are fatal.

I put curled up in a corner because the corner provides some sort of structural strength (or so I hope) and if you're close to the groud I don't think you'd break many bones rather than have the shock travel up your body and then falling to the ground after impact also.