The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
Oh, that one sure is tricky...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
:smile: :smile: :smile: No, even worse!

...QRSTUVWXYZ
Let's everyone of us agree never to mention the badness of this clue to anyone outside this thread.

Ivan Seeking said:
:smile: :smile: :smile: No, even worse!

...QRSTUVWXYZ

:smile: :smile: :rolleyes: :smile: :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
T U V --> TV :biggrin:

Danger, you picked up this didn't you? I thought you did.
Sort of. That's the thing that I was thinking of when I said kinescope. I thought that the name was used for that before it was for picture tubes. :redface:

You brought up UFOs! You asked for it! :biggrin:

Danger said:
Sort of. That's the thing that I was thinking of when I said kinescope.

See! :biggrin: :smile:

zoobyshoe said:
Let's everyone of us agree never to mention the badness of this clue to anyone outside this thread.
No problem! I can't stop laughing long enough to say anything to anyone! I'm such a sucker for bad jokes. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
"Sort of" is what you say to your 97 year old great grandmother when she asks if her sweater buttons are all lined up.

Ivan Seeking said:
No, but as a clue, U lands right in the middle.

I make no apologies! :-p

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh, you mean did I get the gag about the 'U' in the middle of 'TV'. Yeah. Loved it. :biggrin:

Loved Zoob's blankness even more. :-p

I seem to remember a reference to an ellemeno. Should have guessed there would be a TUV somewhere nearby.

zoobyshoe said:
"Sort of" is what you say to your 97 year old great grandmother when she asks if her sweater buttons are all lined up.

I was allowing for your age. :confused:

Ivan Seeking said:
I make no apologies! :-p
Course not, gramma, that was a helpful, helpful clue! Now, let's just get your buttons buttoned up a little neater here.

Huckleberry said:
I seem to remember a reference to an ellemeno. Should have guessed there would be a TUV somewhere nearby.

See again, Huckleberry gets it - the big picture! :approve:

Ivan Seeking said:
See again, Huckleberry gets it - the big picture! :approve:
Course he gets the big picture, Gramma. Certainly he does! We all guessed it right away, we were just teasing Gramma! Why who couldn't guess it with a clue like that?

Okay now, if you're all done whining, its Zooby's turn.

ZOOBY! WAKE UP!

Lemme think a bit.

MK had a question. And we had parallel questions running before.

Go ahead Mk.

This man's invention made his name synonymous with quality. Name the man, and the invention.

zoobyshoe said:
This man's invention made his name synonymous with quality. Name the man, and the invention.
Clarence Birdseye? TV dinners?

Danger said:
Clarence Birdseye? TV dinners?
That's the Canadian hallmark of quality? TV dinners?

Karl Benz, the car (aka automobile) ... along with Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach
(despite what the English, Americans, and yes, even the French say!)

McCoy, sorry, I went out for a snack.

zoobyshoe said:
"Sort of" is what you say to your 97 year old great grandmother
My what year old great grandmother?! I thought you said that you're older than me. My mother is 91. If my dad were still around, he'd be 104 next month. My great grandparents would be somewhere around 200.

Nereid said:
Karl Benz, the car (aka automobile) ... along with Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach
(despite what the English, Americans, and yes, even the French say!)
No, the clue isn't meant to say the man merely made a quality product.

Yeah, Elijah McCoy as in 'the real McCoy' and he invented the lubricating cup for steam engines.

Mk said:
McCoy, sorry, I went out for a snack.
I'm not McCoy. I'm the captain, and you are the WINNER!

Except you forgot to tell us what the original "real McCoy" was.

Huckleberry said:
Yeah, Elijah McCoy as in 'the real McCoy' and he invented the lubricating cup for steam engines.
Better than one for baseball players, I guess.

Dr. W. Edwards Deming - TQM (aka Total Quality Management), a management technique (duh!)

The thing was a lubricator for steam engines, mostly used for boats and locamotives.

Huckleberry said:
No, I'm not Grampa McCoy, I'm Peppito, and you are the WINNER!

The automatic lubricating cup was "The Real McCoy."

We have two winners!

I guess you colaborate on a quetion via PM.

What, me. I just googled McCoy after MK posted it. I wanted to know the invention.

Nereid said:
Dr. W. Edwards Deming - TQM (aka Total Quality Management), a management technique (duh!)
You may not hear the phrase "That's the real McCoy" over there. It means "That's a quality machine, thing, etc". or that it's authentic.

This DRUG was originally developed for treating a heart condition known as Angina pectoris, it was patented in 1996, and since then, made over a billion dollars. What is its technical and marketing name?

Huckleberry said:
What, me. I just googled McCoy after MK posted it. I wanted to know the invention.
OK. We'll give it to MK.

Now, I pass the baton to the Island of Guam...