The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
brewnog said:
First devised in 1941, the final product was a cylinder weighing about 4200 kg. A lot of hard work went into its design, but one of the most ingenious factors enabling its use was an incredibly simple idea.
Whittle's jet engine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Since brewnog seems so confident I will assume that he is correct?

I kinda assumed I was correct too. It doesn't matter now, because...

It seems way too heavy, but could this be the bomb designed to bounce on water? IIRC, it was devised to take out a dam.

Yes! Barnes Wallis' "Bouncing Bomb", as featured in the epic film "Dambusters!".

Very well done, I thought I was going to have to use Clue 3!

Incredibly heavy devices, but I suppose you do need rather a lot of RDX to take out an entire dam. They had to bounce to get over the anti-torpedo nets which had been fitted to the reservoirs. The bombing missions were incredibly precise and difficult, - the planes had to be flying at 250mph, 400 feet from the target, before dropping the bombs. The planes had to fly at an altitude of 60 feet, no mean feat for a massive 4-engined bomber.

The simple but ingenious idea I mentioned was to combat the aircrafts' altimeter's lack of resolution at such low altitudes. A pair of spotlamps was set up on the belly of the plane, such that they focussed to produce one beam on the reservoir surface at an altitude of 60 feet.

And I had lunch in Barnes Wallis building today. :smile:

brewnog said:
I kinda assumed I was correct too. It doesn't matter now, because...

Yes! Barnes Wallis' "Bouncing Bomb", as featured in the epic film "Dambusters!".
Sorry I didn't get here until now. Yes, I was referring to the original cube.
I loved 'Dambusters'. The uncle of one of my friends was on that mission. The spotlight trick was pure genius.

Critical to the patent of 1884, this is only slightly more sophisticated than a spinning pie tin punched with holes.

Ivan Seeking said:
Critical to the patent of 1884, this is only slightly more sophisticated than a spinning pie tin punched with holes.
The first UFO hoax-it-at-home kit.

No, but as a clue, U lands right in the middle.

Kinescope?

Kinescope?

Nope. But oh so close...

Ivan Seeking said:
Nope. But oh so close...
kinetoscope ?

Painfully close but at least four years too late. If you can imagine taking an average of the last two [edit: concepts] suggestions...

Kineoscope?

Ivan SeekingIf you can imagine taking an average of the last two [edit: concepts said:
suggestions...
Oh well, then... that leaves only kinetscope or kineoscope. :-p

There is still a more basic concept and invention involved.

An airbrush!

Zoetrope?...

A phenakistiscope.

a colorectoscope?

Zoetrope

Ten years too soon. :biggrin:

We are so close, and I just tried and easily found it based on three very simple clues already given.

Oh, wait, you said it has to have a U in it, then how about a thaumatrope?

zoobyshoe said:
a colorectoscope?

I don't know that one. I don't think so...

another clue: camera

Or, a kinetograph!

That's what I thought, but there's no U in it.

The first electric telescope?

Moonbear said:
Oh, wait, you said it has to have a U in it, then how about a thaumatrope?

No, but that is another good guess. I didn't realize that there are so many related concepts, but this was considered an essential technical concept.

Did Edison invent it?

Paul Nipkow's mechanical television thingy

Moonbear said:
Or, a kinetograph!

Whewwwww, uncle!

I call that one close enough, but what I was looking for was the Nipkow disk

In 1884, university student Paul Nipkow of Germany proposed and patented the world's first electromechanical television system. Nipkow proposed a disc camera, that contained a disc which was perforated. To capture a moving image the disc was rotated before an image and had the effect of dividing the picture into lines. Light sensitive selenium behind the perforated disk would capture the moving image.

The camera became known as the Nipkow disk.
http://www.acmi.net.au/AIC/TV_HIST_FORTNER.html

Also. http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blnipkov.htm
Also: http://www.acmi.net.au/AIC/NIPKOW_DISK.html

It is considered to be the first rasterizer, and was part of the first mechanical television, patented in 1884.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh oh, I guess Zooby got it first! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Uh oh, I guess Zooby got it first! :biggrin:
What was the clue about the U all about?

T U V --> TV :biggrin:

Danger, you picked up this didn't you? I thought you did.

Ivan Seeking said:

I'm drawing a blank.

Tenants Union of Victoria?

Ivan Seeking said:

:confused: Tel-Uh-Vision? :rolleyes: :smile:

Moonbear said:
:confused: Tel-Uh-Vision? :rolleyes: :smile:

:smile: :smile: :smile: No, even worse!

...QRSTUVWXYZ