The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
I have lots of teeth and only bite myself accidentally.

Physics news on Phys.org
The human mouth. Lots of teeth, but you only bite your tounge accidentally.

Last edited:
Danger, we need some feedback here...

Mk said:
Danger, we need some feedback here...
Sorry. I love PF, but pool comes first. (Incidentally, we skunked them.) Anyhow, you're all off the track. You are correct that it's not alive. Parts include, but are not restricted to, hooks and hollows.

Danger said:
Sorry. I love PF, but pool comes first...
Ah, zip yer pie hole...hey! That's it!

zipper

Zipppeeerrrrr

zoobyshoe said:
Zipppeeerrrrr
Yeah. Sorry, I was preoccupied somewhere else for a while. 'Tis indeed the old turtle choker.

Patented in 1972 this was the beginning of a now ubiquitous form of entertainment.

Odyssey

The game of Pong

Too fast!

Yer tern.

About 30 meters long and 4 meters high, and mounted on 4 wheels, this was built with the hope that the signal to noise ratio of transoceanic radio-telephones might be improved.

First radio telescope?

Danger said:
First radio telescope?

DARN!

:biggrin: Yerrrrrrrrr up.

Ivan Seeking said:
DARN!

:biggrin: Yerrrrrrrrr up.
That was just an educated guess. Anyhow, as I just mentioned in your new thread, I severely have to hit the springs now. I've got a double shift tomorrow, and about 4 hours left to get some sleep first. Fire up another one on me. I'll sneak back into line some time tomorrow night. Give Tsu an extra one for me, and I'll see you tomorrow.

It's too late for me, so the floor is open to a new question.

This man's work rid us of a dangerous crank.

The Wankel engine is a type of internal combustion engine, invented by Felix Wankel, which uses a rotor instead of reciprocating pistons. This design promises smooth high-rpm power from a compact, lightweight engine; however Wankels are criticized for poor fuel efficiency and exhaust emissions.

Correct? I'm not so sure about this one.

No, sir. Nice guess, though.

In 1903, the first U.S. patent for an automobile electric self-starter was issued to Clyde J. Coleman of New York City (No. 745,157). He invented the self-starter in 1899, but the invention was impractical.

The license was purchased by the Delco Company, which was taken over by the General Motors Corporation. Charles Kettering at General Motors modified the self-starter, and made it practical. It was first installed on Cadillac cars in 1911. By 1920, nearly every car had a self-starter.

The self-starter is a necessity for internal-combustion engines, because the Otto cycle requires the pistons already be in motion before the ignition phase of the cycle. This means that the engine must be started in motion by an outside force before it can power itself. Originally a hand crank was used to start the engine, but it was inconvenient and rather hard work to crank the engine up to speed. For the self-starter an electric motor, called a starter motor or sometimes just plain starter, is used in place of the hand crank to put the engine into motion.

I'm more sure about this one, but not positive.

Last edited:
George Bush

I do not riddle out, or riddle up, or riddle down, i do not riddle to the left, or to the right. But i may save your life.

What am i

I'm the son of rage and love,
The Jesus of suburbia,
From the bible of "none of the above",
On a steady diet of soda pop and ritalin...

Not mushrooms, but ritalin!

Shrimp is the main food source of the mostly South American and African leggy bird, but there's one species that lives in southern Europe. It has secondary wing feathers that are the same color as a hex triplet, that consists of 6 charachters, what is it?

Last edited:
Greater Flamingo

my question is

I am partner's with a needle. I am on this website. and have a title
What is it?

Last edited:
Thread. What was it?

Apple sells a software product that provides aadvanced digital compositing. When you add milk what do you get? You can make it in your blender, or buy it from McDonalds.

Goodnight, its 12:30 here, you'll know if you get the answer or not.

Last edited:
Mk said:
Thread. What was it?

Apple sells a software product that provides aadvanced digital compositing. When you add milk what do you get? You can make it in your blender, or buy it from McDonalds.

Goodnight, its 12:30 here, you'll know if you get the answer or not.

Shake?

Just a hunch!

It's the world's largest one of its type, and it's twice as big as the next-largest one, which is in Georgia, USA. It contains 53 miles of cabling just to support itself.

brewnog said:
It contains 53 miles of cabling just to support itself.
Suspension bridge?

Danger said:
Suspension bridge?

No, but I was hoping you'd say that :smile:

It's covered in Teflon!

brewnog said:
No, but I was hoping you'd say that :smile:
You set that whole bridge thing up on the other thread just to fake me out here, didn't you?

brewnog said:
It's covered in Teflon!
My next guess would have been Moonbear's bra, until you mentioned the Teflon.

brewnog said:
Shake?

Just a hunch!

I stayed up, shake is half of it. add milk. It is milkshake. Good job.

Is it the longest cable car system?

Mk said:
Is it the longest cable car system?

Nope, I wouldn't make it that easy!

Danger said:
You set that whole bridge thing up on the other thread just to fake me out here, didn't you?

Yeah, and it worked. Hurrah!
Danger said:
My next guess would have been Moonbear's bra, until you mentioned the Teflon.

Heh, good guess, but no.

Ironically, it's probably more similar to half of moonbear's bra, with a scaling factor taken into account. The heating system is probably still there though...

brewnog said:
Ironically, it's probably more similar to half of moonbear's bra, with a scaling factor taken into account. The heating system is probably still there though...
Sports dome?

Danger said:
Sports dome?

Getting there...

It's got 12 masts.