The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
A path, covered up.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes. minus the covered up

What island has the fruit made by mixing a delicious red kind with a Virginia Rawls Jennet's on it?

Last edited:
fuji...?

yay

honshu!

correct

Yes, thy speaks true.

I don't like cheese but my friend ____ does., I am not a mammal. But You touch me everyday.

Last edited:
This could be too many things, can you narrow it down a wee bit?

I move around, seldomly making noises. I do not breathe or live. My body is bilateral, I am not a sport, but people play with my ball.

A computer mouse.

good job...

The first letter of the 3-letter word that provides the most points in Scrabble, is known in commonwealth english as a different term. In Men In Black, what actor plays him?

Rip Torn?
("Zee" / "Zed")

PS Don't you guys EVER sleep?

Last edited:
Great NOW you go to sleep!

Yes, Rip Torn, correct.

I'm going to bed now. I'm in Guam, so day-night's different.

Aha! OK. Um, a clue. Let's Pretend I'm Steve.

"A clue? Do you see a clue? Where?"

"Oh, right! There's a clue on that sand over there. You know what we need, our handy dandy ... NOTEBOOK."

"Let's see, how do you draw sand?"

to be continued. (The clue is SAND)

(OK, I know... so far too vague)

"Oh look, it's our second clue! on that box of Borax laundry detergent"

Ah, the suspense is killing me. I feel like I'm in Death Valley or something... ?? :biggrin:

consider the basic elements of these clues (there is one more clue coming of course)

Wild guess: glass?

Last clue:

"Oh look, the phosphorous is our third clue. Let's make a sandwich."

Well Phosphorus has been used in washing powders to make your whites whiter, and is next to Silicon on the periodic table, which is a constituent of sand, and, urm, not far away from those is Chlorine which is used to bleach paper?!

Chi Meson said:
Last clue:

"Oh look, the phosphorous is our third clue. Let's make a sandwich."
I googled "Phosphorous, silica, borax, sandwich" and didn't seem to come up with anything. Does "Let's Pretend I'm Steve," LPIS, have some clue value? Sandwich and silicon suggest some sort of semiconductor, alliteratively speaking.

Wow! This thread has been busy.

sounds like a bomb to me.

Ivan Seeking said:
Wow! This thread has been busy.

Yeah. What was it, ten pages in ten hours?

Zooby: "Steve" is from "Blues clues." All i know of poular culture these days comes from "Nick Jr."

Sandwich. Tis wafer thin. Think about it in the light of day.

Photocell?

Danger said:
Photocell?
Ouch! That came fast.

Yes, the original photocell. Newer ones use layers of variously doped gallium.

Lots of teeth, but only bites you by accident.

Danger said:

Moonbear?

Oh no wait, accident. Hmm...

Mantrap?

brewnog said:
Danger said:

Moonbear?

Oh no wait, accident. Hmm...

Mantrap?

:mad: I rescind my offer of a bed for you to sleep in when you visit the U.S.!

I can think of lots of things with teeth that don't bite, but can't think of anything that bites only by accident. :rolleyes:

brewnog said:
Moonbear?
I so wish that I'd thought of that before I posted the question, but I've already made up my mind what the answer is. :biggrin:

Gears? ...

A saw? Me?

Ok, so we know its not alive (right?), but it has somewhat a mind of its own (more like a computer), or is diffucult to control. It has teeth.

Last edited:
Zoobyshoe is walking around in the beautiful Alaskan summer, when he unexpectadly steps in... a bear trap?

Last edited: