The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
Moonbear said:
Nope, remember, the flask and beverage must share a common name.
Not participating any more, but this is one that aggravates me. I'm 25% Highland, 25% Lowland, and 100% alcoholic, and I can't think of the answer. I'll keep trying to, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Coffee cup?

Coffee is what's inside, and the flask is called a coffee cup!

Mk said:
Coffee cup?

Coffee is what's inside, and the flask is called a coffee cup!
We've established the contents are alcoholic ("spirit" and "proof" were supposed to hint at that.)

Huckleberry said:
Moonbear's question appears to be googleproof though
That was my plan. You have to figure out at least part of it before you can google anything. :devil:

Edit: sorry folks, it's past my bedtime. I'll return tomorrow to see if there's any new progress on this one and to consider some additional clues if you're still stuck.

Last edited:
Sour fruit in a sour fruit flask?

Wine cooler!
Its a drink and a cooler for wine!

Waha! Got it!

Dewars?...

:zzz: I'm back, couldn't resist.

lol, when its my turn I'll let you give a question, if you want. Have you given one?

Moonbear, this is a fair one right? You don't have to live under giant artichoke or pig to get it right?

wolram said:
It was 10 feet tall, occupied 1,000 square feet of floor- space, weighed in at approximately 30 tons, and used more than 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. The final machine required 150 kilowatts of power, which was enough to light a small town.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
what was it?
Here's post #1. Where does it say "No Googling"? The no googling rule was something that some people decided to impose on themselves with no outside instruction to do so.

Tru dat! I'm for googling. Everyone in the thread should. Besides, some of these are quite diffucult with googling.

zoobyshoe said:
Here's post #1. Where does it say "No Googling"? The no googling rule was something that some people decided to impose on themselves with no outside instruction to do so.
I took it to be a test of both knowledge and reasoning. Both of those are out the window as soon as you start looking things up. I mean, really, the ENIAC question was so obvious that there should have been no reason for anyone to look anything up. (Well, kids maybe. ENIAC and MultiVac were the first 2 things that I had to study for Data Processing class in grade 10.)

I always use knowlege, reasoning, literture in my home, and the internet for the questions. But yeah, ENIAC was really easy, it only required the first two.

I guess If we won't receive confirmation from Moonbear for a while, we could try a crack at mine?

Mk said:
A company started in Daegu, Korea. They are now mainly an electronics company, after sugar production failed. They got permission to build half of what huge structure in the southern hemisphere?

I suggest using the four resources.

Last edited:
Danger said:
I took it to be a test of both knowledge and reasoning. Both of those are out the window as soon as you start looking things up.
I took it to be a fun thread to pass the time. No one's being graded. Anyone who knows the answer off the top of their head can automatically get it into the thread before anyone could possibly google it, so the well read people with good memories win the round anyway.

Except of course some of the questions, like Ivan's, or some of mine, would be impossible to know off the top of your head.

Moonbear said:
Okay, in the spirit of a somewhat google proof clue, a Highlander might store this in a flask of the same name. Two-part answer required: 1) What is the item being stored? 2) By what name is the flask more commonly known?

Whisky (a good single malt, prefereably :biggrin:) in a hip flask I'd assume.

matthyaouw said:
Invented in the 1930s this was a new variation on something well known previously. Its new twist allowed it to be a lot louder than its predecessors. It is still commonly used today.

No one guessed this one. It was the electric guitar.

In 1846, Dewar's first master blender employed a method of handcrafting whisky, creating John Dewar and Sons' most treasured blend. After carefully blending selected quality malt and grain whiskies (each of which was at least 12 years old), the master blender - When satisfied with his creation-would "marry" the resulting blend. That kind of skill and knowledge has been passed down only from master blender to master blender over successive generations.
1) Scotch
2) A dewar

Anyone want to try mine since Moonbear won't be here for a while?

MK, it is Samsung's big tower in Dubai?

Anyway, I don't see any problem using the internet as a resource. Half the fun is knowing where to look, and it's sometimes quite educational. I'll admit that I've used it to look up a few dates, and especially for help setting up my own clues. It's like anything else, if you cheat then you don't get the satisfaction out of it, and it's not like anyone's marking you!

Oh, except Danger, we're marking you... :-p

Last edited:
No, you have half of it right. :smile:

And the United Arab Emirates is in the Northern Hemisphere.

Urrrm, it's half a mile tall?!

Ooh yeah, northern hemisphere, right!

I'll tell you its more than 400 meters tall. The company only got permission to build HALF of it, that means there's TWO parts.

I'm sure you'll all be fair. You'll know the answer when you get it. But I will post it in white:

The answer is found in the last line of the first paragraph. Paste this in your address bar: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Group#1990s Have a good day, Mk.

Last edited:
Mk said:
In 1846, Dewar's first master blender employed a method of handcrafting whisky, creating John Dewar and Sons' most treasured blend. After carefully blending selected quality malt and grain whiskies (each of which was at least 12 years old), the master blender - When satisfied with his creation-would "marry" the resulting blend. That kind of skill and knowledge has been passed down only from master blender to master blender over successive generations.
1) Scotch
2) A dewar

Woo hoo...some thinking outside the box required, huh? Now, the only part left is what is the dewar flask more commonly known as? (This is usually a brand name.)

zoobyshoe said:
Dewars?...
Oh, looks like zooby got this part first. Depending on who gets the last part, a few folks might have to share the prize.

zoobyshoe said:
I took it to be a fun thread to pass the time. No one's being graded. Anyone who knows the answer off the top of their head can automatically get it into the thread before anyone could possibly google it, so the well read people with good memories win the round anyway.
The no-Google rule applied to different trivia quizzes, not this one. The other ones weren't pass-the-torch games like this one though, it was just a list of 10 or 20 questions that would have been far too quickly answered if they were googled and was intended to get those threads to last awhile. This one doesn't need a no-Google rule, because the whole game stalls if nobody knows the answer (and with some of these obscure inventions, nobody would know it off the top of their head). Honestly, I look at it as both a challenge to the questioner and answerer. I consider it more like an internet scavenger hunt...here are some clues, now see if you can find it. If the answer can be googled quickly then the question was too easy (then again, that gives everyone a chance to play, not just those who are endless fonts of trivia).

sears? just a guess, sears tower

Woah, left this thread for a couple days...came back to find myself in the dust.

And speaking of "Googling" Moonbear, what was that again about verbifying brand names ?

Dewar is a great guess Zoob. Would the brand name Moonie's looking for be Thermos ? (obvious guess for someone working in Low-Temp Physics)

Zoob, you're up next.

[sidetrack on the issue of googling] I have a short trivia quiz (on mostly obscure literary references) nearly ready. But it would be all too Googlable... [/sidetrack]

Gokul43201 said:
[sidetrack on the issue of googling] I have a short trivia quiz (on mostly obscure literary references) nearly ready. But it would be all too Googlable... [/sidetrack]
If you explicitely say, "no googling" people will stick to the rule.

Go ahead and ask one Gokul, if you're sure "Thermos" is correct. I was thinking "Dewars" was the name both of the whiskey and the flask.

I have intended that every question asked could be googled. I see this as a test of google proof questions, unless otherwise specified.

Gokul43201 said:
Woah, left this thread for a couple days...came back to find myself in the dust.

And speaking of "Googling" Moonbear, what was that again about verbifying brand names ?

Dewar is a great guess Zoob. Would the brand name Moonie's looking for be Thermos ? (obvious guess for someone working in Low-Temp Physics)

Zoob, you're up next.

Yep, that was what I was looking for. To sum up, Dewar's scotch-whiskey (they're trademark includes a Highlander, and Highlander also hints at Scotch if you didn't know the trademark) in a Dewar flask, which is better known as a Thermos. :biggrin:

And a nasty drunk!

Ivan Seeking said:
I have intended that every question asked could be googled. I see this as a test of google proof questions, unless otherwise specified.

So, why don't we just amend the rules that we'll assume googling (or Yahooing or running off to the encyclopedias, or whatever other search method you prefer) is allowed unless the person asking the question specifically invokes a no-google rule. :smile: I know I carefully chose my question so google wasn't going to help (I thought my barbed wire question would work that way too, but I didn't know every book ever written on inventions included barbed wire as an example :smile:). That's what took me so long writing a question last night, because I tossed out another one that every clue I tried to write pointed way too quickly to the answer in google. I better start working on a back-up supply of questions so Zooby doesn't get miffed that I take so long next time. :biggrin: