The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
OMFG! spray!

Physics news on Phys.org
yomamma said:
I have no idea what DDT is, but it's probably not. aero
DEET's not DDT.

I don't know what either of those are! I've given you aero can and spray, FIGURE IT OUT!

yomamma said:
I have no idea what DDT is, but it's probably not. aero
More clues please.

Aero can sprays mechanically air freshener repellant

:smile: Hmm..yomamma, do you think you can spell it out for us? Okay, I'll bite, aerosol can.

But I'm still trying to think of a clever next clue.

OMFG finally. I gave you all those hints just scattered

yomamma said:
anyway,

Invented in 1927 to help kill mosquitoes carrying malaria during WWII.
So, in 1927 they already knew there would be a WWII? Why didn't they just kill Hitler, instead of working on the coming mosquito problem?

I copied t off of a website, it's not mine

Okay...I almost have the next clue ready...just confirming some details first.

Shut up :frown:

People should have a supply of clues ready in case they guess right so they can throw them right out and people don't have to wait.

I do :biggrin:

Besides, Evo, how could anyone ever get a single one of the technical things Ivan posts without googling?

yahooing or askjeevesing

yomamma said:
yahooing or askjeevesing
That's right and if moonbar doesn't post soon I'm going to go to a different thread or watch TV.

I'm watching the daily show :biggrin:

Okay, in the spirit of a somewhat google proof clue, a Highlander might store this in a flask of the same name. Two-part answer required: 1) What is the item being stored? 2) By what name is the flask more commonly known?

zoobyshoe said:
That's right and if moonbar doesn't post soon I'm going to go to a different thread or watch TV.
Yeesh! Such impatience! Sorry, I thought I had a clue lined up, but my first idea didn't hold up to google scrutiny. :redface:

Estimation of zoobie's answer
1) beer
2)drunkbucket

lol I went out and people turned vicious!

A company started in Daegu, Korea. They are now mainly an electronics company, after sugar production failed. They got permission to build half of what huge structure in the southern hemisphere?

I noticed Moonbear's question. Hmm, it looks difficult.

Mk said:
lol I went out and people turned vicious!

A company started in Daegu, Korea. They are now mainly an electronics company, after sugar production failed. They got permission to build half of what huge structure in the southern hemisphere?
Hey! I already have a question on the table here. :-p

Come see moonbear and Mk take it out on each other. Bets are no less that $25!

Mk said:
I noticed Moonbear's question. Hmm, it looks difficult.
I hope so...I need some time to breathe and respond to other threads while you're figuring it out. :biggrin:

:zzz: goodnight, I'm going to sleep. and by going to sleep, I mean staying up until 2:00 AM watching tv

Moonbear said:
Okay, in the spirit of a somewhat google proof clue, a Highlander might store this in a flask of the same name. Two-part answer required: 1) What is the item being stored? 2) By what name is the flask more commonly known?
1) Curses
2) Pandora's Box

:frown: Maybe.

Is it the highlander's touch that contains the elixer of life?

1) Some sort of alcholic drink?

1) Poison?

Huckleberry wins?

Last edited:
Huckleberry said:
Is it the highlander's touch that contains the elixer of life?
Nope.

MK said:
1) Some sort of alcholic drink?

1) Poison?
LOL! Yeah, I guess some people would say pick your poison. An alcoholic drink would be on the right path.

A tifflask of brandy?

Huckleberry said:
A tifflask of brandy?
Nope, remember, the flask and beverage must share a common name.

Evo said:
You're a good person danger. :approve:
Thanks, sweetie. Really, I'm a jerk, but I try to hide it when I'm around people I like.

zoobyshoe said:
Besides, Evo, how could anyone ever get a single one of the technical things Ivan posts without googling?
What world do you live in? Do you seriously think that I either 'Googled' or looked up in a book the radio telescope or photocell answers? That's cheating as far as I'm concerned. I was really enjoying this thread until I found out what people were doing; now I'll just read it once in a while. I didn't even know what a 'Google' was until a couple of weeks after I came to PF (early March), and I still sure as hell don't know enough about it to look up a clue or 'Google-proof' one of my own. The problem is, even if the rules say 'no Googling' they're still going to do it.

*huck raises his hand and bows his head*

Hi, my name is Huckleberry and I am a google addict.

Moonbear's question appears to be googleproof though