The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,086
Here's the story behind it all:

Back in the XI-the grade,my phys teacher said it and attributed wrongly to Lavoisier,and this was supposed to have happen ~1777/8.I took it and believed it and last year in November,when i was at a library at KUL,i read a 1935 book on Lavoisier in which this fact comes across:the young chemist Lavoisier read the book written by Black (maybe you can find the title) around 1750 in which Black described his experiments in which he thought of using a balance.

Then Lavoisier put this idea to good use...

Daniel.

P.S.Black was more of a physician than a chemist.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
I have one ready; if neither of you (MB/Evo) minds ...

• #1,088
Evo said:
I had thrown scales & balances out as an answer because they've been around long before BC, but Dex is correct as far as being revolutionary to chemistry.
The reason it is a sucky clue is that every major early breakthrough in chemistry could accurately be described as a "revolution".

• #1,089
Gokul43201 said:
I have one ready; if neither of you (MB/Evo) minds ...
Fine with me...go for it.

• #1,090
Alright,i think Moonbear won it,unless any of you mentors want to change the replies...:-p

Moonbear,you're up.

Daniel.

• #1,091
In 1932 a 10-pack of this was packaged differently.

<chew on it; I'll be back in a little while>

• #1,092
Moonbear said:
Fine with me...go for it.
go gokul... :approve:

• #1,093
gone already

• #1,094
Gokul43201 said:

Obvious guess: chewing gum.

• #1,095
Gokul43201 said:

Wrigley's gum

• #1,096
Gokul43201 said:

This can't be it, but being a BBQ type weekend, hot dogs and hot dog buns come to mind (maybe that's when they made it 8 hot dogs and 10 buns so you need to keep buying more packages?) :smile:

• #1,097
A 10-pack of Wrigley's gum was the first product to wear a barcode.

I'm going to give it to Zoovo.

• #1,098
Wow, that was quick! I missed the entire round :mad:

Bed time, night all x-x-x-x-x-x

• #1,099
Evo, you go.

• #1,100
I've got one.

The nuclear era was defined by this invention. The inventor credited was held prisoner by the Russians and forced to invent this.

• #1,101
Evo said:
I've got one.

The inventor credited was held prisoner by the Russians and forced to invent this.
The lead lined anti radiation suit?

• #1,102
zoobyshoe said:
The lead lined anti radiation suit?
heheh good guess

• #1,103
Evo said:
heheh good guess
Meh...is it right?

• #1,104
zoobyshoe said:
Meh...is it right?
No, but having one around this wouldn't be a bad idea. :-p

• #1,105
kryptonite :biggrin: :wink: I'm off...

• #1,106
a hint - what it produces is bursts of atomic energy and splits in two easily

• #1,107
x-ray laser pointers?

• #1,109
dextercioby said:
Sorry,Evo...:wink:

http://www.electricityforum.com/news/mar04/centrifuge.html

Dr.Gernot Zippe "The invention was the uranium centrifuge, and around the world, millions of them now spin in high-security plants often ringed by barbed wire."

I guess he was a common aquiaintance of mr.Kurchatov.

Daniel.
Correct!

• #1,110
I'll let Moonbear pick the challange.She owes one for her "balance":wink:

Daniel.

• #1,111
Okay, it's MB's turn, but until she comes back, here's an easy one.

He is well-known for calling a swan a crow, but he may not have actually said it. Who is the other suspect?

• #1,112
The original guy is no doubt, ol' Shakespeare (R&J). Clueless on the other suspect...

• #1,113
Erm, you mean the person usually attributed with having called a swan a crow is Shakespeare? That isn't who I was talking about- did he also do that?

• #1,114
honestrosewater said:
Erm, you mean the person usually attributed with having called a swan a crow is Shakespeare? That isn't who I was talking about- did he also do that?
He's all confused. Greene called Shakespeare (aka The Swan of Avon) an "upstart crow". Now the other suspect, who may actually have written this criticism is who you're asking for, right?

• #1,115
Right, the "other" Greene. Meh, I don't mean this person is suspected of being Greene- just of writing the quote...

• #1,116
Well, I am sure I read about this in Shakespeare by Anthony Burgess, but I can't for the life of me remember who the other suspect was, except that it was a rival playwright (not Johnson). Something about fox or foxes?

• #1,117
OK the fox thing is spurious. That's a vague memory of "Volpone".

My guess is: Christopher Marlowe

• #1,118
No fox or foxes. It's easy to find if you're a googler. If you aren't, this guy only started writing after the publication of Greene's Groatsworth. His name appears in the title of several of Shakespeare's plays.

Well, with the new clue, Marlowe's out.

Okay, you probably haven't heard of him, but maybe you can get it from other clues. His first name appears in the title of several of Shakespeare's plays.
His last name rhymes with something I presume every self-respecting Brit has in their kitchen and a heavy genre of music.

Last edited:
  • #1,119
The only Henry I'm finding is Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey.

• #1,120
Nope, but Henry is right. Do you know the thing I presume every self-respecting Brit has in their kitchen? It also rhymes with a heavy genre of music.