The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,121
crap?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,122
Based off of that clue alone I would say the last name is Kettle.

• #1,123
Kettle, Metal...Henry Bettle? Henry Settle? Henry Petal? Henry Phetal? I got nuthin.

• #1,124
The only thing that comes to mind when you say a "heavy" genre of music is either metal (as in Heavy Metal)...and would the Brits have a "kettle" in the kitchen (all that tea drinking). Now I need to find a Henry who rhymes with that, huh?

• #1,125
Nettle?

• #1,126
Aha! Chettle

• #1,127
Ahhhh... I didn't see the previous post saying that it only rhymed with kettle.

• #1,128
Crap, I leave for a few minutes and everyone shows up. Yes to metal, kettle, and Chettle. I guess MB has a double turn!

• #1,129
Okay, I'll start my question while waiting for confirmation.

Patented in 1889, this item is likely to be found at backyard barbecues, albeit an improved design of the original.

• #1,130
honestrosewater said:
Crap, I leave for a few minutes and everyone shows up. Yes to metal, kettle, and Chettle. I guess MB has a double turn!
Meh, just means nobody gets cheated out of a turn since it takes me three people's worth of questions to come up with a clue. :smile:

• #1,131
I'm going to try going googleless :eek: and guess those corn-on-the-cob holders that you stick in the ends... er... whatever they're called.

Okay, I relapsed - roll film.

Last edited:
  • #1,132
I looked it up on google. I think that makes it much too easy.

• #1,133
Nope, not roll film. Was that patented the same year? It's not what I have in mind. I'll have to sit here and think a bit more about this clue if it's too ambiguous.

• #1,134
I found hienz tabasco pepper sauce.

• #1,135
TheStatutoryApe said:
I found hienz tabasco pepper sauce.

I'll narrow it down a bit...it's not a food item.

• #1,136
Yeah, I'm finding conflicting answers- some say William Friese-Greene patented a camera that uses roll film in 1889, some it was George Eastman, some say Eastman patented a better type of film in 1889. If this is the answer, I need to find a reliable source. Anywho, Edison had like a bazillion patents in just 1889!

Anyway, I'm going back on the wagon. Or off the wagon, whichever. And I think the clue is just fine for now.

Last edited:
  • #1,137
A bug zapper?

• #1,138
honestrosewater said:
Yeah, I'm finding conflicting answers- some say William Friese-Greene patented a camera that uses roll film in 1889, some it was George Eastman, some say Eastman patented a better type of film in 1889. If this is the answer, I need to find a reliable source. Anywho, Edison had like a bazillion patents in just 1889!

Anyway, I'm going back on the wagon. Or off the wagon, whichever. And I think the clue is just fine for now.

Nothing to do with photography or Edison. Sorry, didn't realize half the stuff at backyard barbecues was patented the same year. :frown:

• #1,139
honestrosewater said:
A bug zapper?
Nope. And not the bugs either. :smile:

• #1,140
Okay, I've only ruled out sunscreen and gas grills, so I think I would need a clue. Oh, is it some kind of disposable dish wear or napkins?

• #1,141
The Charcoal Briquette?

• #1,142
No to dishes, napkins and charcoal.

Oh, and I have given you a further clue...you might have overlooked it before. :wink:

• #1,143
The "Kiss the Cook" apron?! :-p

• #1,144
honestrosewater said:
The "Kiss the Cook" apron?! :-p
I like that answer, but no, that's not it. Okay, here's another clue. When you sit around with your buddies playing poker, you might use it then as well.

• #1,145
A folding table?

• #1,146
A meat thermometer? :smile: :smile: Now that I see your new clue, this is very funny. I don't think I want to play poker with a meat thermometer.

Last edited:
  • #1,147
what is it?

• #1,148
Glass bottle packaging?

• #1,149
yomamma said:
what is it?
Gee, why didn't I think of that. :-p

• #1,150
Nobody has guessed it yet. One of the guesses is getting pretty close though (but I'm not telling you whose). :biggrin:

• #1,151
Wow, I was sure it was the folding table. I guessed canned beer, but that wasn't until later, and you said it wasn't food. I hope the meat thermometer wasn't close.

• #1,152
Oh, folding chairs!? Brody & Surgwar, June 11, 1889. :biggrin:

If that's it, TheStatutoryApe can have my turn if you want it.

Last edited:
  • #1,153
a skyewer?

• #1,154
The disposable paper plate.

• #1,155
zoobyshoe said:
The disposable paper plate.
Guessed already.