The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,156
honestrosewater said:
Oh, folding chairs!? Brody & Surgwar, June 11, 1889. :biggrin:

If that's it, TheStatutoryApe can have my turn if you want it.
That's it! Bravo!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,157
it has to be a skewer... pokeer

edit: nvm

• #1,158
honestrosewater said:
Oh, folding chairs!? Brody & Surgwar, June 11, 1889. :biggrin:

If that's it, TheStatutoryApe can have my turn if you want it.
Oh wow. I tried that and didn't find it.
You can go ahead, are you logging off or something?

• #1,159
honestrosewater said:
I hope the meat thermometer wasn't close.
It wasn't, but I was having a good laugh thinking about what new meaning it brought to the game "poker." :smile:

• #1,160
TheStatutoryApe said:
Oh wow. I tried that and didn't find it.
You can go ahead, are you logging off or something?
No, but your guess gave me the idea. If you don't want it, I did just think of a clue.

It has four legs and is as tall as it is wide.

• #1,161
honestrosewater said:
It has four legs and is as tall as it is wide.
Hmmmm... is it a living thing? Lol... can we change this to twenty questions?! :-p

• #1,162
micheal moore?

• #1,163
Eek, a clue already? You don't really need one; You only need to think inside of the box on this one. :wink:

• #1,164
honestrosewater said:
Eek, a clue already? You don't really need one; You only need to think inside of the box on this one. :wink:
Is it a square?

• #1,165
It was a square. How did it get legs?

• #1,166
it had birth defects

• #1,167
it needed to square dance?

• #1,168
Okay, I'm leaving now and don't want to hold things up. It's a square cut on the diagonal, the legs being the legs of the right triangles. I guess TheStatutoryApe is up. Have fun!

• #1,169
:mad: that was a trick-ish question

• #1,170
Sorry, I'm getting impatient. Seems I'm on an odd sleep cycle with everyone else in this forum. Let's just remember that statutoryApe is up, but in the meantime, here's a googleable one:

Kahiltna
Muldrow
Ruth

• #1,171
denali national park? with glaciers kahiltna Muldrow and ruth?

• #1,172
Specifically, "Glaciers of Denali." S'where I want to be right now.

• #1,173
Oh no, yomamma's up...

• #1,174
That was only a stop-gap. StatutoryApe has an opportunity here...

we're waiting...

...jeez, I bet another forty pages go by as soon as I go to sleep.

• #1,175
Oh sorry... I had to leave work.
Lets see... This should be an easy one.

It is a plastic capsule containing nitrogen and is an acutrament to the packaging of a particular food product. What is it called and what is the name of the food product?

• #1,176
What's an "acutrament"?

• #1,177
Widget
Guinness Beer

• #1,178
That should have been 'accoutrement', meaning 'accessory'.

The thingy in the question could be a beer widget (I've seen it only in some beers though).

• #1,179
rachmaninoff said:
What's an "acutrament"?
He has simply misspelled "accoutrement".

• #1,180
Oh, nevermind...this thread is crazy fast...

• #1,181
Ivan got it.
And sorry about the misspelling. That's what I get for using google for a spell check.

• #1,182
TheStatutoryApe said:
And sorry about the misspelling.
"Accoutrement" is a very commonly used word in the Northeast US. Do you have origins there?

• #1,183
Over 27,000 of these led the monk to the new laws. Genesis 1:20-27.

• #1,184
Ivan Seeking said:
Over 27,000 of these led the monk to the new laws. Genesis 1:20-27.
The monk would be Gregor Mendel, the new laws; the laws of inheritence, or genetics, but I don't know what the 27,000 refers to. (The Genesis clue didn't help with that, that I can see.)

• #1,185
Yesssssssss...

• #1,186
Ivan Seeking said:
Yesssssssss...
But what numbered 27,000?

• #1,187
The Genesis passage is obviously the opposite view to the "new laws". Were there 27,000 pea plants ?

• #1,188
Ivan Seeking said:
Yesssssssss...
Over 27,000 ssssssssssssnakes?

• #1,189
zoobyshoe said:
"Accoutrement" is a very commonly used word in the Northeast US. Do you have origins there?
No. I'm not sure where I picked it up. I also spell colour with a "u" among other things.

Your turn Zoob.

• #1,190
TheStatutoryApe said:
No. I'm not sure where I picked it up. I also spell colour with a "u" among other things.
In NH you hear someone say "accoutrement" at least once a day in the course of normal conversation. When I left there, I found I had to drop it from my vocabulary. Most people hadn't heard the word, and the ones who had thought I was being pretentious when I threw it so casually around.