The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,471
It keeps changing, and keeps getting longer, and is used for human entertainment all around the world. What is it? :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,472
Danger said:
A model aeroplane?

Right track, wrong scale

• #1,473
SOS2008 said:
It keeps changing, and keeps getting longer, and is used for human entertainment all around the world. What is it? :-p
It's either the 'Thread Killer Thread' or that thing you keep in the closet.

Argentum Vulpes said:
Right track, wrong scale
I am becoming perplexed. :confused:
I also have to get my ass in gear or I'll be late for my pool match. I'll check back in when I get home (about 3-5 hours).

Last edited:
  • #1,474
Out of the mist... The second and third clues.

The Second clue (even it has been rendered somewhat moot I'm not wasting it)

Phil Hartman cut a commerical for what my skin was essentially, the solid version of course, DAMM!

Drum roll please

The third clue is,

I was going to float on but went down in a blaze of glory.

I'll check tomorrow to see if there is any right answers, I've got an early day at the desk tomorrow :cry:

• #1,475
The Hindenburg?

• #1,476
dose dope damm semiconductors Phil Hartman. I have no idea.

• #1,477
hypatia said:
The Hindenburg?

Yep you are right.

Since there is some confusion about my clues let me explain them

Argentum Vulpes said:
I was painted with a dope.

This was just a broad question to get people thinking about things that are doped, like semiconductors, plane skins, ect.

Argentum Vulpes said:
It dose fall inbetween the discovery of the semiconductor and it's mass production.

For this my research the semiconductor was discovered in the lab the 1830's ( http://www.micron.com/k12/semiconductors/history.html ) and went into mass production in the 1950's, the Hindenburg went down in 1937.

Argentum Vulpes said:
Phil Hartman cut a commerical for what my skin was essentially, the solid version of course, DAMM!

This was referring to Phil's character on News radio (Bill McNeal) and in a commerical he got all uppity about was For Rocket Fuel malt liquor (went something like "rocket fuel malt liquor DAMM!"). The doping on the skin of the Hindenburg was cotton base fabric painted with a mixture of cellulose nitrate, and aluminum powder. Bamm basic solid rocket fuel.

Argentum Vulpes said:
I was going to float on but went down in a blaze of glory.

The Hindenburg was just going to make a stop in Lakehurst NJ but during the docking procedure caught fire and was no more.

Hope that clears up some missunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,478
Argentum Vulpes said:
For this my research the semiconductor was discovered in the lab the 1830's ( http://www.micron.com/k12/semiconductors/history.html ) and went into mass production in the 1950's, the Hindenburg went down in 1937.

I read this to mean the discovery and mass production of the transistor, when I knew better!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,479
My name consists of baby goats and what volcanos make. What's the name I was born under?

• #1,480
SOS2008 said:
I don't know if this is a serious one or not... but I know the answer:

FRANZBEAR!

• #1,481
lol you are Kid Rock?

• #1,482
Mk said:
My name consists of baby goats and what volcanos make. What's the name I was born under?
Val kidman

• #1,483
hypatia means Robert James Ritchie.

Time for the next question! :biggrin:

Ooh, or maybe Billy Idol. If they were baby boy goats... and people have worshipped volcanoes... In that case, William Broad.

Last edited:
  • #1,484
point to Henry Faulds not this way.

Last edited:
  • #1,485
SOS2008 said:
matthyaioyuaieuoaaouw's name.

• #1,486
wolram said:
point to Henry Faulds not this way.
Is this a clue? Fingerprint?

• #1,487
honestrosewater said:
Is this a clue? Fingerprint?
A clue yes, finger print no.

• #1,488
Point to him not with your finger? :smile:

• #1,489
BTW, a fingerprint is usually a clue. :-p

• #1,490
Hint, blood.

• #1,491
Point to him not with a bloody finger? :rolleyes: Yeah, I've got nothing.

• #1,492
Another unique feature.

• #1,493
DNA...

• #1,494
honestrosewater said:
DNA...

nope

thats two out of three?

• #1,495
Flower? maybe

• #1,496
two out of three- RNA...
flower- you are mean.
I will think.

toe, nose, petal, root, stem, leaf, pollen, stamen, filament, anther, a kind of flower?

Last edited:
  • #1,497
A way i input a picture to PC

• #1,498
scan... okay... thinking.

• #1,499
retinal scan?

• #1,500
But how does that work with the first clue or flowers or blood? I really don't get the first clue if it isn't something to do with fingers or prints...
Or maybe with him not getting credit? I don't get the clues together. :confused:

Oh, flower could be iris...

Last edited:
  • #1,501
Point to fingerprints, not to retinal scans. I don't know what that might mean.

• #1,502
zoobyshoe said:
retinal scan?

cuddly toy for zooby

• #1,503
honestrosewater said:
But how does that work with the first clue or flowers or blood? I really don't get the first clue if it isn't something to do with fingers or prints...

the first clue was to point you in the direction of identification.

Do you think it a crap clue?

• #1,504
wolram said:
the first clue was to point you in the direction of identification.

Do you think it a crap clue?
No, I'm just complaining. Mostly about my not guessing it. It was a fine clue. :smile:

• #1,505
honestrosewater said:
Or maybe with him not getting credit? I don't get the clues together. :confused:

Oh, flower could be iris...

Flower IRIS

Blood VEINS in eye