The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,506
So what's next zoobyshoe?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,507
wolram said:
the first clue was to point you in the direction of identification.

Do you think it a crap clue?
If you plug in the substitute words, you get:

Point to fingerprints, not to retinal scans.

This leads us to believe there's yet another step, when, apparently there isn't.

Also, the way you wrote it with no punctuation, suggests HonestRoseWater's first idea, which is that it is an instruction not to point to Foulds in a certain way. I thought for a while this meant the answer had to take the form Do not point to fould's as a charlatan or as a failure or whatever way it turned out to be.

Then, it occurred to me you meant "Point to Foulds, not this way." (notice the comma) meaning not in some other direction.

So, yeah, a lot of dead ends in the clue that we couldn't have overcome without your promptings.

• #1,508
wolram said:
So what's next zoobyshoe?

He went looking for iron, but found cement.

• #1,509
Just to get it out of the way- Joseph Aspdin.

• #1,510
honestrosewater said:
Just to get it out of the way- Joseph Aspdin.
Not who I was looking for. Does this person fit the clue as well?

• #1,511
zoobyshoe said:
He went looking for iron, but found cement.
Jimmy Hoffa?

• #1,512
Danger said:
Jimmy Hoffa?
Incorrect!

• #1,513
This is driving me nuts as its been on tv and i can not remember, but it was
in the US.

• #1,514
zoobyshoe said:
Not who I was looking for. Does this person fit the clue as well?
Not sure about the iron part- he patented Portland Cement. I figured it was too easy but wanted to be sure.

• #1,515
Danger said:
Jimmy Hoffa?
:smile: An A for creativity.

• #1,516
wolram said:
in the US.
Was it an explorer, archaeologist, inventor? What other profession could it be?

• #1,517
wolram said:
in the US.
Yes! It was in the US.

• #1,518
honestrosewater said:
Not sure about the iron part- he patented Portland Cement. I figured it was too easy but wanted to be sure.
The iron part is important to the story. This is an obscure chapter is the life of an anything-but-obscure man. His quest for a new source of iron lasted nearly 20 years.

• #1,519
honestrosewater said:
Was it an explorer, archaeologist, inventor? What other profession could it be?
Im still reeling from that slap by Zooby, so don't listen to me I am punch drunk. :smile:

• #1,520
wolram said:
Im still reeling from that slap by Zooby, so don't listen to me I am punch drunk. :smile:
I believe the British may have a completely different sense of etiquette than we do. I never have any idea when I'm overstepping British standards for this. Talking to Brewnog I sometimes suddenly realize I've said something that would be taken as insensitively expressed over there while no one here would blink an eye.

• #1,521
zoobyshoe said:
I believe the British may have a completely different sense of etiquette than we do. I never have any idea when I'm overstepping British standards for this. Talking to Brewnog I sometimes suddenly realize I've said something that would be taken as insensitively expressed over there while no one here would blink an eye.
Its our british humour, to make someone think we have been hurt, its sort
of the opposite to the stiff upper lip old boy thing, so don't worry Zooby we
are a thick skinned race, the only thing that really offends us is if you don't
stick your little finger out when drinking tea.

• #1,522
Right, then! Let us carry on.

• #1,523
Christopher Columbus? This is mainly a wild guess.

• #1,524
honestrosewater said:
Christopher Columbus? This is mainly a wild guess.
Not Columbus. This person went looking for iron. He happened to find a source of cement, and decided to make use of it. He continued to work on the iron project, as well. He did not create or patent cement, just found a lot of it.

• #1,525
I think he had an unusual ship named after him

• #1,526
zoobyshoe said:
Not Columbus. This person went looking for iron. He happened to find a source of cement, and decided to make use of it. He continued to work on the iron project, as well. He did not create or patent cement, just found a lot of it.
Yes, but I'm not sure if it was iron for building or eating. I'm not asking, I'm just saying.

• #1,527
wolram said:
He was famous enough for that to have happened, but I'm not aware that it ever did. I can't confirm or deny this guess.

• #1,528
The only other explorer of Americas I can think of is Ponce de Leon. Maybe more in a minute.
Okay, it says Vazquez settled the Carolinas and I know Noth Carolina limestone was used a lot in construction??

• #1,529
honestrosewater said:
Yes, but I'm not sure if it was iron for building or eating. I'm not asking, I'm just saying.
Iron for industry: he wanted masses of it.

• #1,530
honestrosewater said:
The only other explorer of Americas I can think of is Ponce de Leon. Maybe more in a minute.
You have invented this clue yourself. I never said or implied he was an explorer of the Americas. All I said is he went looking for iron.

• #1,531
zoobyshoe said:
You have invented this clue yourself. I never said or implied he was an explorer of the Americas. All I said is he went looking for iron.
I know, I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe I should stop that. But you did say it was in the US?

• #1,532
honestrosewater said:
I know, I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe I should stop that. But you did say it was in the US?
Absolutely. And he was a US Citizen from birth.

• #1,533
Meriwether Lewis?

• #1,534
honestrosewater said:
Meriwether Lewis?
Much too early in US history. No.

• #1,535
Henry Ford?

• #1,536
wolram said:
I just googled this and there is, in fact, a non-standard seagoing vessel named after this man.

• #1,537
honestrosewater said:
Henry Ford?
No, but you're much closer to the target dates. Look a little earlier in time.

• #1,538
D.O.S, i don't want to answer this as i haven't a good clue.

• #1,539
wolram said:
D.O.S, i don't want to answer this as i haven't a good clue.
Just write down the initial of his first name. That will be a clue for Honestrosewater, and will probably confirm to me you know the answer.

• #1,540
Maybe a Civil War era vessel? :redface: