The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #2,031
:frown: I realized I DON'T have it. But I almost did.

I was going with the characters are letters, so I thought it was either A and B, or C and D, because they are consecutive letters, and the letters in FIRE trail them. But I realized there were 26 letters in the Romans alphabet, so I looked for a 24 letter alphabet, I found the greek one, and Alpha and Beta correspond to A and B, there is no C and D. BUT there is no corresponding FIRE letters, but there are! Phi, Iota, Elipsion, Eta. Phonetically equivelent.

I now still think it is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,032
You're in the right alphabet (greek). Just say the alphabet aloud and see if you notice a word in there somewhere... oh, and keep the 'fire' clue in mind.

• #2,033
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! This was a Eureka moment. I said Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! outloud. Hah! ?? Pi-Rho

Good one.

Last edited:
  • #2,034
Wow, it's been a long time since I've had that effect on anyone.

A loooooooooong time. :biggrin: Nice work.

pi rho = pyro.

Just something else that I thought was funny about pi and rho: they're backwards. pi sounds like p, looks like r - [itex]\pi[/itex]; rho sounds like r, looks like p - [itex]\rho[/itex]. :smile:

Last edited:
  • #2,035
A member of the wheat tribe and is closely related to barley and wheat (catchers were sometimes in it), and also a kind of lawn grass was on an island somewhat near to Guam and was used as money. What was it colloquially called? This one may be more difficult.

Last edited:
  • #2,036
The Catcher in the Rye, funny. cereal??

If so, you can go again. I want a harder question! :-p :biggrin:

• #2,037
Not quite. You're on the right track though.

(I edited my question a bit because it was un-understandable.)

Last edited:
  • #2,038
Oats or oatmeal?

Last edited:
  • #2,039
Rye is right for the first portion, A member of the wheat tribe and is closely related to barley and wheat (catchers were sometimes in it), and also a kind of lawn grass

But the second is a phonetical equivalent, what was it and what is is colloquially called?
was on an island somewhat near to Guam and was used as money. What was it colloquially called?

• #2,040
Mk said:
Rye is right for the first portion, A member of the wheat tribe and is closely related to barley and wheat (catchers were sometimes in it), and also a kind of lawn grass

But the second is a phonetical equivalent, what was it and what is is colloquially called?
was on an island somewhat near to Guam and was used as money. What was it colloquially called?
Oh, I get it. Okay, off to search. (oatmeal was used as currency somewhere, BTW. :wink:)

• #2,041
Mk said:
Vulcan, (featuring the god Vulcan at his forge) the largest cast iron statue in the world which was first cast for the 1904 St. Louis Exposition, and displayed on top of Red Mountain in 1938.

There may be a connection with the sun: Atomic bombs harness "the power of the sun", Icarus's wings melted because of the sun... exploding Blue Danube? Heat.

Daedalus, Icarus's father arrived safe in Sicily, where he built a temple to Apollo, and hung up his wings, an offering to the god. Apollo, in modern times has became in part confused or equated with Helios, god of the sun.

Vulcanoids are theoretical asteroids that may orbit in a dynamically stable zone between 0.08 and 0.21 astronomical units from the Sun.

1566 Icarus was an asteroid discovered in 1949 by Walter Baade

That backs up the sun idea more.

"The devil take the waltz, my only regret is for the coda—I wish that had been a success." Strauss once said.
Devil -> Satan -> Hell -> Heat -> Flames -> that stuff

A sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus takes advantage of the piece's fame, featuring, in typical Monty Python fashion, "the exploding version of the Blue Danube."
So the Blue Danube can explode...

I thought you had it when you found "vulcan" if you found the connection with "V", and Icarus, "some thing to do with wings", the blue danube is
some thing it carried.

• #2,042
I was going to be nice and not steal this from Mk, but... meh... okay... it's in white - no peeking, Mk.

Am I right, woolie >>Britain's first atomic bomb, the Blue Danube, was to be carried by the Vulcan B.2A, a 'V-bomber'.<< ??

• #2,043
honestrosewater said:
I was going to be nice and not steal this from Mk, but... meh... okay... it's in white - no peeking, Mk.

Am I right, woolie >>Britain's first atomic bomb, the Blue Danube, was to be carried by the Vulcan B.2A, a 'V-bomber'.<< ??

The bells rining, you got it Rose :biggrin:

• #2,044
wolram said:
Woot! I love it when that happens. But Mk did most of the work, so I want to give him(?) a chance to figure it out. I was confused at first because I thought that The Blue Danube was a popular waltz, but I found out that it was actually a real bomb when it first debuted. :wink: :wink:

• #2,045
wolram said:

Ok then, next question...

• #2,046
Townsend said:
Ok then, next question...
Mk still has an outstanding question - the rye something one.

• #2,047
So who is up Rose ??

• #2,048
Here's Mk's question, still unanswered:

• #2,049
Blast it i knew this one, the money part any ways, now i won't sleep tonight.

• #2,050

It is a 4 island "volcanic complex." Like Hawai'i.

• #2,051
Ah, you're killing me. Yap State? Stone Money?!? Someone cut limestone into coin-shapes pieces with holes in the middle, but they were lost at sea. When the coins were found, they were considered valuable and were used as currency.
Oops, I got the story somewhat messed up, but whatever. Rye stone? Rice tone? I don't know! :cry:

Last edited:
  • #2,052
honestrosewater said:
Ah, you're killing me. Yap State?
Mmm yes. But what about the money?

• #2,053
Eh, I edited.

• #2,054
honestrosewater said:
Ah, you're killing me. Yap State? Stone Money?!? Someone cut limestone into coin-shapes pieces with holes in the middle, but they were lost at sea. When the coins were found, they were considered valuable and were used as currency.
Oops, I got the story somewhat messed up, but whatever. Rye stone? Rice tone? I don't know! :cry:
YES! YOU WIN! MHuah!

Yap stones, Rai in the native language, were huge circular rocks with holes in the middle, and were used as currency and as signs of wealth up to the 1960s. They are the heaviest currency, and the largest has been found with a diameter of 20 ft.

http://www.zeno.ru/showfull.php?photo=13034

• #2,055
honestrosewater said:
Woot! I love it when that happens. But Mk did most of the work, so I want to give him(?) a chance to figure it out.
Its ok, we are nemisi and play dirty. I have many times posted an answer a few seconds before someone else with the same correct answer.
I was confused at first because I thought that The Blue Danube was a popular waltz, but I found out that it was actually a real bomb when it first debuted. :wink: :wink:
A sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus takes advantage of the piece's fame, featuring, in typical Monty Python fashion, "the exploding version of the Blue Danube."
So the Blue Danube can explode...
Ahh, so it can explode!

• #2,056
:biggrin: I imagine they knew that when they wrote the sketch. They're so lovable... and speaking of lovable, is that you in the picture? Are you rich? :!)

I'm exhausted now - that was a good one. Whoever wants to have a go... go.

• #2,057
honestrosewater said:
:biggrin: I imagine they knew that when they wrote the sketch. They're so lovable... and speaking of lovable, is that you in the picture? Are you rich? :!)
No that's not me, that's some guy with a big rock. I think I'll post that on the caption competition thread.

Do you ever sleep? I went to bed last night and when I woke up here you were posting like crazy!

In The Library, who was going for what, what did he have to go through to get there, and what shape was the structure he was on?

E³ 2000.

Last edited:
  • #2,058
Mk said:
Do you ever sleep? I went to bed last night and when I woke up here you were posting like crazy!
Yeah, I have a 'special' sleep cycle. I slept the other day. I'm actually trying to get some work done, but you guys just draw me back in... and I may have to go watch the hurricane soon. Did you see that thing?!

• #2,059
Mk said:
No that's not me, that's some guy with a big rock. I think I'll post that on the caption competition thread.

In The Library, who was going for what, what did he have to go through to get there, and what shape was the structure he was on?

E³ 2000.

Is this a clue :confused:

• #2,060
The first is the question, the second is a clue.

• #2,061
I have no idea. Is this a book, movie, etc.? Do you mean The Librarian?

• #2,062
The Library Look up my E3 2000 link.

Another hint:

Noah's Ark went through the same thing.

• #2,063
Ummm yeah, no clue. Is this a video game? OH, I think I've got it. The Library is a level in Halo?

Last edited:
  • #2,064
Yes! Who was shooting through for what, what did he have to go through to get there, and what shape was the structure he was on?

• #2,065
343 Guilt Spark is fighting through Flood to get the Index? He goes through a maze of corridors?