The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #2,066
honestrosewater said:
343 Guilt Spark is fighting through Flood to get the Index? He goes through a maze of corridors?
Heh heh, You got the Flood part right, try again. By the structure, I mean the MEGAstructure.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,067
C'mon, what is it? I'll give you another hint. The main charachter is fighting through the flood. The megastructure has the same name as the game.

• #2,068
Isn't anyone else playing? :rolleyes: I'll give it another go in a minute.

• #2,069
Halo! Lol!

• #2,070
Okay, Master Chief is in Halo (the planet-sized ring-like structure built to contain and study the Flood) and fights through the Flood to get I don't know what. Every place says it's the Index.

• #2,071
honestrosewater said:
Isn't anyone else playing? :rolleyes: I'll give it another go in a minute.

I am lost with this one, seems your on your tod rose.

• #2,072
honestrosewater said:
Okay, Master Chief is in Halo (the planet-sized ring-like structure built to contain and study the Flood) and fights through the Flood to get I don't know what. Every place says it's the Index.
YES! You've won! Ask a question, any question. I won't be here today, for I have a lot of work to do.

• #2,073
It may be a while before I come up with a clue. Go ahead, anyone else. :biggrin:

• #2,074
honestrosewater said:
It may be a while before I come up with a clue. Go ahead, anyone else. :biggrin:

Give and take mate cough up :biggrin:

• #2,075
Am I going to have to make another one? (jokingly)

I didn't think that last one would be that difficult!

• #2,076
An easy one to time fill.

It is 7 meters high weighs 6 tonnes, built in the Mauyan dynasty.

• #2,078
Sorry, I can't help but guess! :cry:

• #2,079
honestrosewater said:
Sorry, I can't help but guess! :cry:

Keep guessing, and anti up missy :biggrin:

• #2,080
wolram said:
Keep guessing, and anti up missy :biggrin:
Is it cylindrical?

Okay, I have a clue.
When it went up for auction, it was expected to keep going and going and going...

• #2,081
wolram said:
An easy one to time fill.

It is 7 meters high weighs 6 tonnes, built in the Mauyan dynasty.
This one's tough, I know what I'm looking for but can't find it...

Last edited:
  • #2,082
Good job wolram, this was the hardest one yet for me.

Situated near Bombay temples were built in the 6th century by the Mauryan dynasty's expert stone carvers. The most philosophical aspect of mighty Shiva is seen in the Shiva temple in Elephanta Cave.

The central attraction here is a twenty-foot (7 meters is about 22 feet) high bust of the deity in three-headed form. The Maheshamurti is built deep into a recess and looms up from the darkness to fill the full height of the cave. This image symbolizes the fierce, feminine and meditative aspects of the great ascetic and the three heads represent Shiva as Aghori, Ardhanarishvara and Mahayogi. Aghori is a terrifying form of Shiva where he is intent on destruction. Ardhanarishvara depicts Shiva as half-man/half-woman signifying the essential unity of the sexes. The Mahayogi posture symbolizes the meditative aspect of the God and here Shiva is shown in his most quiet and serene form.

It weighs six tons.

Honestrosewater's is WAYYY to vague to get.

• #2,083
honestrosewater said:
Is it cylindrical?

Okay, I have a clue.
When it went up for auction, it was expected to keep going and going and going...
In 2004 there was no talk that I remember of it being the 125th anniversary of the making of the incandescent light bulb... which is still on now, because the filament is so thick.

• #2,084
honestrosewater said:
Is it cylindrical?

Okay, I have a clue.

Trotsky :biggrin:

• #2,085
Oh, no, when you hear the answer, it will seem SO obvious. You will actually kick yourselves, I do prognosticate.

It's part of an ad for things that are usually not included.

• #2,086
A picaso painting $104 million ??

• #2,087
Nope. It beats and twirls...

Last edited:
  • #2,088
honestrosewater said:
Oh, no, when you hear the answer, it will seem SO obvious. You will actually kick yourselves, I do prognosticate.

It's part of an ad for things that are usually not included.

Batteries ?

• #2,089
wolram said:
Batteries ?
Correctomundo - that's part of it. Now, the thing that went up for auction was what?

It's part of an ad for things that are usually not included. (batteries)
It beats and twirls... energetically...

• #2,090
honestrosewater said:
Correctomundo - that's part of it. Now, the thing that went up for auction was what?

It's part of an ad for things that are usually not included. (batteries)
It beats and twirls... energetically...

The only thing i can think of is that stupid rabbit thing beating a drum
but that did not twirl.

• #2,091
It did so twirl! :-p It twirled the drum stick and spun around. And kept going and going and going...

Also for auction, and the most valuable listed lot, is one of the two original Energizer bunnies.

The rabbits were used to advertise batteries on television and have become one of the most potent advertising symbols of the 20th century.

The rabbit is expected to fetch up to $60,000 (£42,000).
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/988176.stm
Way to win it, woolie. Europe. :biggrin:

• #2,092
honestrosewater said:
It did so twirl! :-p It twirled the drum stick and spun around. And kept going and going and going...

Way to win it, woolie. Europe. :biggrin:

Well smack me in the face with a wet kipper, i am completely gob smacked,
crazy people or what :smile:

• #2,093
Quote.

it is a triumph more glorious, because far more useful to mankind, than was ever won by conqueror on the field of battle.

What was it.

• #2,094
I passed my 11th grade History exam.

• #2,095
So, how are we going to campagin to get more people in this thread? Its not as fun with only three people! :cry:

I remember back in the day when there was about a hundred people.

• #2,096
Mk said:
So, how are we going to campagin to get more people in this thread? Its not as fun with only three people! :cry:

I remember back in the day when there was about a hundred people.

To many voyeurs MK, it is like watching a quiz show on tv, every one shouts
the answers but would not dare go on the show
:smile:

Any way up i am all out of ideas so if you have some ammo !

Last edited:
  • #2,097
Whose turn is it? Was that the answer? Is that a clue? I'm lost.

How to attract people? Sex sells! We need some sexier clues.

• #2,098
honestrosewater said:
Whose turn is it? Was that the answer? Is that a clue? I'm lost.

How to attract people? Sex sells! We need some sexier clues.

EEk, MKs answer fit the clues, so i have to say he wins, well done MK,
the alternate answer is the iron pillar here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qutb_complex#Iron_pillar

Hmm, i am no good at sexy stuff, i wonder who could start it off :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • #2,099
That iron pillar is pretty sexy. :!)

• #2,100
honestrosewater said:
That iron pillar is pretty sexy. :!)

Well if no one minds,

First mentioed in 1617, diminutive of the personal name Matilda.

If you or MK have a better one please carry on, but this one should have
people itching to have a go. :smile: