The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
Chi Meson said:
Although "photograph" is a technically correct answer, as I tell my students, you did not read my mind, therefore you are wrong!
I just figured out what this bizarre utterance meant.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I just figured out what this bizarre utterance meant.
Don't feel bad zoob, I had a typo on 93.999999=1 ( I meant 93.999999=94). Integral pointed out my mistake, in a way apparently much too vague for this old brain, and I didn't figure out what I had typed wrong until the next morning. :redface:

BTW, how many of these precious FREE kittens that a stray cat just had at my house should I send you? :biggrin:

A what was it revival?

This made quite a splash in 1979.

Uh oh! That was a bad clue.

...and those down under would know!

Ivan Seeking said:
This made quite a splash in 1979.
What was Skylab 1 ?

Yerrrrrrr it! :biggrin:

On July 11, 1979, Skylab impacted the Earth surface. The debris dispersion area stretched from the Southeastern Indian Ocean across a sparsely populated section of Western Australia.
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/history/skylab/skylab-operations.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
A slight deviation from the beaten path, if I may ...

What is this ?

Attachments

• wotizzit.JPG
    wotizzit.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 432
Gokul43201 said:
A slight deviation from the beaten path, if I may ...

What is this ?

:smile: I looked before you posted the attachment and was really stumped! I was hoping that you weren't done yet. :biggrin:

A nano-swimmingpool?

Gokul43201 said:
What is this ?
False-colour image of a shark waiting for a skydiver?

I dunno. Looks like stuff that I've seen from an atomic-force microscope, but no idea what it's a picture of.

Danger said:
Looks like stuff that I've seen from an atomic-force microscope, but no idea what it's a picture of.
Close enough (so was Zoob) ! And the sharks may appear in future samples.

This is an STM image of what is called a quantum corral (corral -> reef -> shark, etc.) The cyan peaks are Fe atoms deposited one at a time (using an STM tip) over a Cu matrix !

Courtesy : IBM Almaden, STM Group

More amazing pictures and descriptions at :
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/vis/stm/corral.html
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/vis/stm/gallery.html

That's amazing! I was going to venture a guess but now I'm glad I didn't. :biggrin:

Zooby, Danger, next? Or Gokul could try another one...

Ivan Seeking said:
Or Gokul could try another one...
4*10^19 variations

I know it's not much of a clue, but I don't expect anyone here to have trouble getting it.

The game of "go"?

Chi Meson said:
The game of "go"?
Noooope... but the math is probably close.

The game of chess, then?

The game of Life?

Poker?

Wait, maybe it's not a game?

21! is close (5*10^19) but not close enough...anyway, I don't know anything that comes in 21 sizes/flavors/colors/etc.

Human DNA?

Nereid said:
Human DNA?
Ooh nice guess ! Also, aren't there like only 20-odd different amino acids ? ...but protein lengths aren't limited, are they ?

Chi Meson said:
Wait, maybe it's not a game?
Sort of...

Sorry I didn't respond until now; I've been asleep. Now I'm going to work, so you're on your own for a few hours.

hint: educational aid

Danger said:
educational aid
Wild guess based on this clue: The periodic table?

Wild guess based on the same clue: An abacus?

Nope, and twice nope.
That was a short-lived work day. I got there and my co-worker showed up 5 minutes later. It turns out the shift change we did last week was supposed to be permanent, so I don't have to go for another 3 hours.

next hint: accidental best-seller

Danger said:
Babbages' difference engine?

computers?

Double nope again.

Danger said:
I haven't read it so, very unspecifically: the Da Vinci code?

Danger said:
Sorry I didn't respond until now; I've been asleep.

Well that answers one question, at least.

Nope and :-p , in that order.

one more hint, and I'm really going to work now: colours

Rubik's Cube!

Ok, here's one. I'm new to this thread so forgive me if I do something bad...

Clue 1:
First devised in 1941, the final product was a cylinder weighing about 4200 kg. A lot of hard work went into its design, but one of the most ingenious factors enabling its use was an incredibly simple idea.

brewnog said:
Ok, here's one. I'm new to this thread so forgive me if I do something bad...

Clue 1:
First devised in 1941, the final product was a cylinder weighing about 4200 kg. A lot of hard work went into its design, but one of the most ingenious factors enabling its use was an incredibly simple idea.
Wild guess based on date and weight: nuclear reactor?

Nope.

Clue 2:
I had lunch today in a building named after its inventor.

It was developed in Surrey, tested in Derbyshire, and used in Germany.

The concept was brought about in order to get over a net.

Last edited:
A gun barrel?

Since brewnog seems so confident I will assume that he is correct?

It seems way too heavy, but could this be the bomb designed to bounce on water? IIRC, it was devised to take out a dam.

Last edited: