Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #3,711
This man was stung seven times by murder hornets while trying to save Vancouver Island's honeybees
https://www.cbc.ca/television/this-...o-save-vancouver-island-s-honeybees-1.5971560

zoobyshoe's prescient thread on Asian giant hornets (Vespa mandarinia) from 2013.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-coming-hornet-apocalypse.714207/

6th Asian giant hornet to be discovered in B.C. found in Fraser Valley
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...vered-in-b-c-found-in-fraser-valley-1.5797706

Destroyed 'murder hornet' nest near U.S.-B.C. border contained nearly 200 queens, scientists say
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ornet-nest-washington-bc-200-queens-1.5798631

I know that one or two have been found in Washington State. "In December 2019, WSDA received and verified two reports of Asian giant hornet near Blaine (Whatcom County). These are the first-ever sighting in the United States. Canada had also discovered Asian giant hornet in two locations in British Columbia in the fall of 2019.

In 2020, both Washington and Canada have had new confirmed sightings of Asian giant hornet and in October of 2020, WSDA conducted the first-ever eradication of an Asian giant hornet nest in the United States."
https://agr.wa.gov/hornets

https://invasivespecies.wa.gov/priorityspecies/asian-giant-hornet/

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/03/16/washington-state-canada-try-to-kill-asian-giant-hornets/
I knew of the October 2020 sighting, but not the early sightings.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,712
berkeman said:
TIL that some drag races are held 4-wide! I've never seen that before...
Here's a photo of those 4-wide drag drivers look like in real life...

• Haha
Likes berkeman, jack action, Frisbee and 1 other person
  • #3,713
It is claimed that trees did not evolve wood so that they could better access sunlight (than shorter plants).

• Informative
Likes Frisbee, collinsmark, DaveE and 1 other person
  • #3,714
Astronuc said:
This man was stung seven times by murder hornets while trying to save Vancouver Island's honeybees
https://www.cbc.ca/television/this-...o-save-vancouver-island-s-honeybees-1.5971560

zoobyshoe's prescient thread on Asian giant hornets (Vespa mandarinia) from 2013.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-coming-hornet-apocalypse.714207/

6th Asian giant hornet to be discovered in B.C. found in Fraser Valley
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...vered-in-b-c-found-in-fraser-valley-1.5797706

Destroyed 'murder hornet' nest near U.S.-B.C. border contained nearly 200 queens, scientists say
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ornet-nest-washington-bc-200-queens-1.5798631

I know that one or two have been found in Washington State. "In December 2019, WSDA received and verified two reports of Asian giant hornet near Blaine (Whatcom County). These are the first-ever sighting in the United States. Canada had also discovered Asian giant hornet in two locations in British Columbia in the fall of 2019.

In 2020, both Washington and Canada have had new confirmed sightings of Asian giant hornet and in October of 2020, WSDA conducted the first-ever eradication of an Asian giant hornet nest in the United States."
https://agr.wa.gov/hornets

https://invasivespecies.wa.gov/priorityspecies/asian-giant-hornet/

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/03/16/washington-state-canada-try-to-kill-asian-giant-hornets/
I knew of the October 2020 sighting, but not the early sightings.
I am terrified of bees and wasps, I am not sure I have ever seen a hornet. My worst night mare being attacked by them.

• #3,716
caz said:
How do you feel about cicadas?
He'll be cicadem by de end of de year if he lives in one of those states...

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, Keith_McClary and Frabjous
  • #3,720
pinball1970 said:
Is there a thing with cicadas and primes?
I read on one of Dawkins' books, I think, that long period cicadas tended to have prime periods because things that ate them couldn't emerge on factors of their period and eat something else - e.g. this ten year cicada could be predated by the five-year-cicada-eating-beast that emerges every five years. But a thirteen year cicada can only be eaten (except opportunistically) by a thirteen year cycle creature.

Misleading popsci, maybe.

• #3,722
pinball1970 said:
Oh, yes.

The Cicada’s Love Affair With Prime Numbers

cicadas-prime-580.jpg

• Wow
Likes rsk
  • #3,723
Today I found two examples of weird large derivatives appearing:
A particle bouncing inside a convex region can be a chaotic system. But the motion cannot be chaotic if the 553rd derivative of its boundary is continuous (Lazutkin, 1973). Later work improved that requirement down to the 6th derivative. Discussed by @john baez in 2016: Blog article

If you take the Minkowski sum (##\{a+b:a\in A,b\in B\}##) of convex subsets A, B of ##\mathbb{R}^2## with real-analytic boundaries then the boundary of A+B is guaranteed to be "6+2/3" times differentiable.

Likes dextercioby
  • #3,724
pinball1970 said:
I do not feel good about anything with more than 4 legs.
Cicadas are cute and harmless -- as a child we used to catch them, trying to collect as many different varieties as possible. There were quite a few names, but now I only remember "Green Grocer", "Black Prince", "Yellow Monday(?)", "Pizz Whacker" (don't ask) ...

Likes BillTre
  • #3,725
Today I learned that if you don't have a spare CR2032 battery handy, two CR2016s, stacked, will do the job nicely.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Informative
Likes BillTre, hmmm27, jedishrfu and 1 other person
  • #3,726
That one of the weirdest things in numerology that I've ever seen is this:

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321 [counts up 1 to 8 then down 8 to 1 but with a 9 in the middle)

What has me flummoxed is NOT the math so much as who in hell every happened to SEE it ? I mean, whoever it was has WAY too much spare time on their hands.

Likes BillTre
  • #3,727
I think this comes from playing with 1 x 1 = 1, 11 x 11 = 121, 111 x 111 = 12321 ... so naturally someone would extend the sequence to the limit of disbelief.

• Informative
Likes diogenesNY, BillTre and phinds
  • #3,728
phinds said:
whoever it was has WAY too much spare time on their hands.

Code:
        x111111111

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913, pinball1970, strangerep and 3 others
  • #3,729

Likes collinsmark and jedishrfu
  • #3,730
phinds said:

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321 [counts up 1 to 8 then down 8 to 1 but with a 9 in the middle)

What has me flummoxed is NOT the math so much as who in hell every happened to SEE it ? I mean, whoever it was has WAY too much spare time on their hands.
It's part of a pattern:
11 x 11 = 121
111 x 111 = 12321
1111 x 1111 = 1234321
etc.

Likes BillTre
  • #3,731
Janus said:
It's part of a pattern:
11 x 11 = 121
111 x 111 = 12321
1111 x 1111 = 1234321
etc.
Or an even more general pattern$$\begin{align*}
(x+1)^2 &= x^2 + 2x + 1 \\
(x^2+x+1)^2 &=x^4 + 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 2x + 1
\end{align*}
$$etc.

• #3,732
phinds said:

Yes, but this is what can be found playing with sequences of ones. However, who the heck found that:
$$2^n+7^n+8^n+18^n+19^n+24^n=3^n+4^n+12^n+14^n+22^n+23^n \text{ for } n =0,1,...,5$$

Likes BillTre, Keith_McClary and jedishrfu
  • #3,733
Many genius level mathematicians have an incredible computation skill.

I remember the scene in the Ramanujan movie where one of the Oxford dons could do fast calculations and battled with Ramanujan to test his skill or something like that.

There also was that savant David Tamett who could do remarkable feats of calculation and memorization.

Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
  • #3,734
rsk said:
Today I learned that if you don't have a spare CR2032 battery handy, two CR2016s, stacked, will do the job nicely.
Only in devices that will tolerate a doubling of the voltage.

• Informative
Likes diogenesNY, Keith_McClary, pbuk and 2 others
  • #3,735
jedishrfu said:
Many genius level mathematicians have an incredible computation skill.
You know that puzzle with two trains that start 70km apart and travel in opposite directions, one at 30kph and one at 40kph and a fly that flies backwards and forwards between the trains at a constant 80kph (it's one o' them rocket propelled flies) - how far has the fly traveled when the trains meet? There's a popular theory that mathematicians given this problem spot that there are two geometric series to sum, but physicists shy away from the computation, and then note that the trains meet in an hour so the fly also travels for an hour, hence flies 80km.

There's a story of someone who decided to test that theory, and the first person he happens across is John von Neumann. He quickly lays out the problem and von Neumann says instantly "80km". The guy is a little crestfallen and explains to von Neumann that he had expected him, as a mathematician, to take the series sum solution rather than the easy way. "Ah," says von Neumann, looking a little embarrassed. "You're right, there is an easier way to do it."

• Haha
Likes Borg, collinsmark, jedishrfu and 1 other person
  • #3,736
DaveC426913 said:
I did wonder about this, but it seems to be ok.

FWIW it's the button part of a wireless doorbell in my parents' home.

• #3,737
rsk said:
I did wonder about this, but it seems to be ok.

Is their doorbell twice as loud now? :woot:

Likes rsk
  • #3,738
DaveC426913 said:
Is their doorbell twice as loud now? :woot:
Button part. The bell part still has its regulation batteries. But now I'm scared that the post man or delivery man might get hurt when pushing the button

(nah, 6V not going to hurt anyone, right?)

• #3,739
rsk said:
Several years ago I learned that if you buy a wireless doorbell and select one of the sixteen channels it can transmit on at random, your neighbour will also buy the same model and select the same channel. Neither of you get loads of unexpected visitors, so the one who actually has a visitor will usually be ready and let them in before the other has found his front door keys. So it will take some months for you to work out the cause of occasional "nobody there" bell rings...

• Haha
Likes berkeman and rsk
  • #3,740
DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, don't try this at home kids. Youd be better off jamming some aluminium foil wrapped round cardboard in there.

• #3,741
fresh_42 said:
However, who the heck found that:
$$2^n+7^n+8^n+18^n+19^n+24^n=3^n+4^n+12^n+14^n+22^n+23^n \text{ for } n =0,1,...,5$$
What computer found that?
Prouhet–Tarry–Escott_problem

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,742
DaveC426913 said:

pbuk said:
Yeah, don't try this at home kids. Youd be better off jamming some aluminium foil wrapped round cardboard in there.
Heeding these warnings, I decided to rummage through my foreign coin collection to see if I had anything approximately battery sized and thin enough and yes, it works!

The odd thing about this is that the coin is a US dime and the only time I ever set foot in the USofA was to transit through Atlanta airport. I don't even know what a "dime" means.

But anyway, it's working, presumably at 3V instead of 6V and with a spare battery returned to the blister it came from.

Attachments

• IMG_20210520_081713733_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210520_081713733_HDR.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 71
  • #3,743
A penny is one cent, a nickel is five cents, dime is ten cents, a quarter is 25 cents, and a half dollar is 50 cents vs a US dollar which is 100 cents.

There may be some other more obscure US coins that are no longer in use But I don’t remember them.

oh yeah we even have a two dollar bill which my coworker would use to be different when shopping. They weren’t popular and caused havoc at the cash register because there weren’t enough drawer slots for all the common bills 1, 5, 10, and 20 and this one.

Likes rsk
  • #3,744
Interesting fact, Cuba actually has notes worth 3 pesos. 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50 ... no 30s or 300s, just the 3.

This applied in both their CUP and CUC, but the latter (the convertible one pegged to the US$) has recently been removed from circulation - the currency, not just the 3 peso note.

• #3,745
rsk said:
But anyway, it's working, presumably at 3V instead of 6V and with a spare battery returned to the blister it came from.

Hang onto that extra battery. The cr2016 is less than half the capacity of the '32 so you'll be fiddling with it a lot sooner than if you just went to the store and bough the right battery.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and rsk
Back