Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
TIL about the origin of french kiss!:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
TIL that "ring around the rosies" is not actually a reference to the black plague.

One folklorist suggests it was a more-or-less meaningless song (the words literally reference the motions of children performing the song) and that it came about during the religious ban on dancing in the US and Britain. As a loophole, people would play "games" that involved play-dancing and singing, such as ring around the rosie.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

Wow i'd love to try my hand at royal chauffeur-ing !

Sent the link to son... Thanks !

back on topic------
Microwave finally quit a couple days ago.
Today i learned that
starting with 1974 model year, microwave oven door interlocks include a switch that blows the fuse should the the other door switches fail to disconnect power.
Good idea, it assures the first failure will announce itself and hopefully prompt somebody at least minimally competent to take a look .

But i found a loose power connection to the little computer circuit board behind keypad.
No wonder that oven's clock would never stay set. I've been wondering why for ten years now !

The laugh is on me.:oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

It seems after all and always was not all that obvious a song title and maybe I'm not the only one who didn't, in a very long time, get it, since The Economist retold an explanation last week which I read and so today learned, that My Lady Greensleeves probably had green sleeves through rolling in the grass.
doh%21.gif

The article suggests this was in the course of a commercial activity for advertisement purposes, but I'm not going to believe it - the words may have changed but the tune has more sentiment in it than that.

(This was in a book review - Feb 14 issue!)

Last edited:
Today i learned a little more Arduino C, namely String and Modulo,,,,,

increased its Roman Numeral counting ability from 10 to 2400,.
(Planning on 12/24 hour time for that clock.)

Next step will be add colons and learn to make hour digits increment at intervals of 60 minute digits.

old jim

Likes Borek
zoobyshoe said:
"Google effect The tendency to forget information that can be found readily online by using Internet search engines."

at my age I like that better than "Senior Moment"...

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
zoobyshoe said:
Today I learned they have identified a new cognitive bias called :

"Google effect The tendency to forget information that can be found readily online by using Internet search engines."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
I discovered something very similar more than 3 decades ago. I didn't have a name for it, but I suspected it existed. It was the engineering officer on my submarine who stated it, very succinctly; "I may not know everything, but I know which books to find the answer in".

From the concluding paragraph in your wiki entry:

Sparrow claims the Internet is a type of transactive memory. She said, "We're not thoughtless empty-headed people who don't have memories anymore. But we are becoming particularly adept at remembering where to go find things. And that's kind of amazing."

hmm... I like that phrase: transactive memory.

ps. TIL that sometimes it's very difficult to find people I've worked with, with google. Yesterday, I could find no reference to someone who reminded me of Pythagorean. Today, I can find no record of my engineering officer.

OmCheeto said:
TIL that sometimes it's very difficult to find people I've worked with, with google. Yesterday, I could find no reference to someone who reminded me of Pythagorean. Today, I can find no record of my engineering officer.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but I have had problems once in a while not being able to relocate stuff I previously googled and read. Did I just imagine I'd read something, or did it subsequently get removed from the interweb, or rewritten?

TIL, that Isaac Asimov, one of my favorite authors, hid funny stuff, in the side notes.

Today I learned, from a crackpot no less, that Earth and Saturn are as many times farther from the Sun (average distance) than Mercury as they are larger. To a few percent accuracy. What a fun observation to be completely misinterpreted.

The above somehow means that the 2012/12/21 doomsday will happen on 2016/12/21. We're not in the clear yet!

Likes collinsmark
Bandersnatch said:
Today I learned, from a crackpot no less, that Earth and Saturn are as many times farther from the Sun (average distance) than Mercury as they are larger. To a few percent accuracy. What a fun observation to be completely misinterpreted.

The above somehow means that the 2012/12/21 doomsday will happen on 2016/12/21. We're not in the clear yet!
Eventually they'll be right. It's like the Mandan Rain Dance. It never failed, because once they started the dance, they would not stop until it rained.

sharks are not smart at all and they don't get cancer :approve: which is still a myth to me

Today I learned that Cracker Jacks are considered to be the world's first junk food.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today I learned that we have two kinds of "legs".

Human Leg (wiki-n-me)
{leg type A}: The human leg is the entire lower extremity or limb of the human body, including the foot, thigh and even the hip or gluteal region;
{leg type B}: however, the precise definition in human anatomy refers only to the section of the lower limb extending from the knee to the ankle... .

So we've got a colloquial leg, and an anatomical leg.
hmmm...

ps. I normally don't worry about legs, but we are discussing how high one can jump on Ceres, along with it's associate "Moon Jumping" thread. I have a deep suspicion that the calculations I did last night are completely wrong, hence, I needed some anatomical data.
But the data supplied at one web site, indicated that I didn't know what a leg was:

Body Segment Data
Code:
Percentages of Total Body Weight
Segment    Males   Females Average
Total Leg  16.68   18.43   17.555
Thigh      10.5    11.75   11.125
Leg         4.75    5.35    5.05
Foot        1.43    1.33    1.38
Leg & Foot  6.18    6.68    6.43

zoobyshoe said:
Today I learned that Cracker Jacks are considered to be the world's first junk food.
I love Cracker Jacks.

TIL, that the Internet country code top-level domain (.co) assigned to Colombia has no restrictions such that anyone in the world can use a .co address. I found this out when I needed to send an email to someone in the US and their email address ended in .co. I was sure that it was a typo and should have been .com. It really was .co. :bugeye:

Today I learned the video feed from the moon to the Earth during the first moon landing was very high quality, but got considerably degraded by the very primitive way they relayed it around the world for TV viewing: to copy the signal they simply set up TV cameras facing the monitors.

High quality video tapes made directly from the moon signal were misplaced somewhere, and there is some indication they might have been taped over a few years later. Nasa. Hehehe.

Likes Silicon Waffle
TIL that Alex Trebek has a visual cue to let him know who had the last correct answer. I was thinking about what would happen if he forgot whose turn it was and thought that there should be a light to let him know. Sure enough, there is a little light on the bottom of the podium that I never noticed before.

TIL about the phenomenon of galvanotaxis in the fish important in electrofishing: "..uncontrolled muscular convulsion that results in the fish swimming toward the anode".

Today learned that I didn't learn a single thing!

Today I learned that that one thing is getting better (I can't do anything until it's totally better), but that other thing is still bad (and I'm the only one who can fix it).

Today I learned that you can convert from a number recording hours and minutes (e.g. 945, meaning quarter to ten) to minutes (585 minutes past midnight) using

mins=hhmm-40*int(hhmm/100)

and back again using

hhmm=mins+40*int(mins/60)

which is an awful lot neater than I expected when I realized I'd need the capability.

Yes !

Modulo is handy too.

This arduino code will print, for each of the 1440 minutes in a day, the 24 hour military time in Roman Numerals.
It's trivial to add seconds .

/*
* romanNumerals
* This is adapted from the Hello World! for Arduino.
* It shows how to send data to the computer
*/
String Units[10]={"" , "I" , "II" , "III" , "IV" , "V" , "VI", "VII", "VIII", "IX" };
String Tens[10]={"" , "X" , "XX" , "XXX" , "XL" , "L" , "LX", "LXX", "LXXX", "XC"};
String Hundreds[10]={"" , "C" , "CC" , "CCC" , "CD" , "D" , "DC", "DCC", "DCCC", "CM"};
String Thsns[3]={"" , "M" , "MM" } ;
String Hour ;
String Minute ;
String Second ;
String Time ;
int numbr = (1) , hr, minit ;
void setup() // run once, when the sketch starts
{
Serial.begin(9600); // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
}

void loop() // run over and over again
{

Serial.print (numbr ) ;
Serial.print (" ");

hr = numbr/60 ;
minit = numbr %60 ;
Serial.print ( hr ) ;
Serial.print (" : ") ;
Serial.print ( minit ) ;
Serial.print (" ") ;
Hour = Thsns[hr/10] + Hundreds[hr%10] ;
Minute = Tens[minit/10] + Units[minit%10] ;
Time = Hour + Minute ;
Serial.println (Time) ;
delay(1000);
numbr=numbr+1 ;
if (numbr>1440) numbr = 0 ;
}

Am still working to understand how Arduino allocates memory for strings, there's some potential 'gotcha' about strings messing up heap and stack... https://learn.adafruit.com/memories-of-an-arduino/optimizing-sram

And found out the displays i bought are bare VFD's so I'm learning about dot matrix drivers, and using paint to make printed circuit boards.

And learned about dilute HCl for board etch instead of Ferric Chloride.

Likes dlgoff
Ibix said:
mins=hhmm-40*int(hhmm/100)
mins=60*hh + mm = (100-40)*hh + mm = hhmm - 40*hh = hhmm - 40*int(hhmm/100) but the last steps seems to make it more complicated.Today I learned that copying the two lines in the report here are not sufficient for a bug report - you have to include the previous text "blocked access was logged from" otherwise the mail gets rejected automatically.

mfb said:
mins=60*hh + mm = (100-40)*hh + mm = hhmm - 40*hh = hhmm - 40*int(hhmm/100) but the last steps seems to make it more complicated.
Well, I got to it by observing that

hh=int(hhmm/100)

and

mm=hhmm-100*hh

and

mins=60*hh+mm

Whoever developed the mess I got handed apparently followed this chain also, but never realized it could be simplified. So the spreadsheet "needed" three cells for every transformation, forwards and back.

I suspect if they'd just used an Excel time format to record the times in the first place life would be even easier.

jim hardy said:
... and using paint to make printed circuit boards.
You're a glutton for punishment. :devil:

Today I learned that you should not clean your mouse and keyboard when you happen to have an online form open on your browser.

"What the hell did I just submit? ?"

Today I learned that the phrase

"You're lucky to have been hired, they usually don't hire college people because of their lack of mechanical inclination and common sense."

Is something that actually exists.

Today I learned that 700,000 bottles of Tabasco sauce are made every day.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today I learned that my boyfriend really loves me.

jim hardy said:
...Roman Numerals.
This reminds me of something I noticed the other day.
They switched from Arabic numerals to Roman numerals for dating the episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", either in 1956 or 1957.
So I googled; when did they start dating films with roman numerals
After an hour of googling, I couldn't find the answer to "when" it happened.
The answer as to why, is a bit speculative.
Most claim the studios wanted to mask how old their films were.

Another theory:
Air of dignity

Style expert Stephen Bayley says using Roman numerals, particularly when used in the Times Roman typeface, does tend to lend a certain dignity. And that includes Beckham.
"To use Roman numerals in clocks and watches does tend to say: 'I'm a bit cleverer than you are.'

Or, it may be as simple as; One guy did it, everyone else saw it, thought it was cool, and did the same.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today a wasp got into the house. I squirted him with first thing i could find , which happened to be Windex. The knockdown was immediate.
No stinky insecticide smell . Good thing, for he was in the bedroom, where Fair Anne would have really objected...

Gonna try it in the yard...

Likes Silicon Waffle
"To use Roman numerals in clocks and watches does tend to say:...

For me it's a protest.
I resent the doggone computers taking over daily life, making hopelessly complex monuments to folly out of simple things like a toaster oven, dishwasher, alarm clock. I still figure my gas mileage with a slide rule.
This project will teach one computer some humility.

And it might give the grandkids a jump start on Roman Numerals .

And yeah, i am a Leo...

Likes dlgoff and Silicon Waffle
jim hardy said:
Today a wasp got into the house. I squirted him with first thing i could find , which happened to be Windex. The knockdown was immediate.
No stinky insecticide smell . Good thing, for he was in the bedroom, where Fair Anne would have really objected...

Gonna try it in the yard...

Works just as well on ants in the kitchen.
And outside too.
Last week, I thought that perchance it had been a bit too long since I'd bathed, as there was a swarm of what appeared to be gnats on my front porch, and they really liked me.
Upon closer inspection, they turned out to be ant drones. (My best guess is Monomorium minimum)

I got out the Windex...

jim hardy said:
For me it's a protest.
I resent the doggone computers taking over daily life, making hopelessly complex monuments to folly out of simple things like a toaster oven, dishwasher, alarm clock. I still figure my gas mileage with a slide rule.
This project will teach one computer some humility.

And it might give the grandkids a jump start on Roman Numerals .

And yeah, i am a Leo...

I still have my microwave from 1976. I recall trying to use the microwave at work. My condolences.

I think a Roman Numeral clock would be very nice. I almost picked up an Arduino device at Radio Shack a few weeks ago, as I've seen people mentioning them, and they reminded me of the hackability of the PC I bought back in 1979. The mouse utilized variable resistors, and I was able to build a 4 channel ADC temperature interface.

ps. I'm a double Taurus

Back