Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #3,886
Today I learned
1) The actor that played Vic Fontaine in Deep Space Nine also played Dr. Tony Newman in The Time Tunnel.
2) Rhode Island and Providence Plantations became Rhode Island in 2020
3) Chubby Checker's name is an allusion to Fats Domino.

(OK: I learned the last of those yesterday.)

Likes rsk
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,887
Fewmet said:
Today I learned
1) The actor that played Vic Fontaine in Deep Space Nine also played Dr. Tony Newman in The Time Tunnel.
2) Rhode Island and Providence Plantations became Rhode Island in 2020
3) Chubby Checker's name is an allusion to Fats Domino.

(OK: I learned the last of those yesterday.)
RIL that the old TV show Here Come the Brides, was based on real events - The Mercer Girls or Mercer Maids.

The Mercer Girls or Mercer Maids were women who chose to move from the east coast of the United States to the Seattle area in the 1860s at the invitation of Asa Mercer. Mercer, an American who lived in Seattle, wanted to "import" women to the Pacific Northwest to balance the gender ratio. The women were drawn by the prospect of moving to a boomtown with a surplus of bachelors.[1] These events formed the basis of the television series Here Come the Brides.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Girls

I've always been fond of imports. :rolleyes:

• #3,888
DaveC426913 said:
grand-fur-baby
My neighbor has a cat from her kids (because reasons). Is there a name for that?

• #3,889
Reverse Feline Inheritance (RFI)

• #3,890
Ivan Seeking said:
RIL that the old TV show Here Come the Brides, was based on real events - The Mercer Girls or Mercer Maids.

The Mercer Girls or Mercer Maids were women who chose to move from the east coast of the United States to the Seattle area in the 1860s at the invitation of Asa Mercer. Mercer, an American who lived in Seattle, wanted to "import" women to the Pacific Northwest to balance the gender ratio. The women were drawn by the prospect of moving to a boomtown with a surplus of bachelors.[1] These events formed the basis of the television series Here Come the Brides.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Girls

I've always been fond of imports. :rolleyes:
This is literally how the French Canadian population was established with the filles du roi. It's part of every history class in Québec high school:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Daughters said:
New France, at its start, was mostly populated by men: soldiers, fur traders, and priests. The colony became more agricultural and by the mid-17th century there was a severe imbalance between single men and women in New France. The small number of female immigrants had to pay their own passage, and few single women wanted to leave home to move and settle in the harsh climate and conditions of New France. The population growth of the competing English colonies awakened concern among some officials about France's ability to maintain its claim in the New World.

To increase the French population and the number of families, the Intendant of New France, Jean Talon, proposed that the king sponsor passage of at least 500 women. The king agreed, and eventually nearly twice the number were recruited.

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #3,891
Keith_McClary said:
My neighbor has a cat from her kids (because reasons). Is there a name for that?
That's a grand-fur-baby too!

This dog is my son's.

Got two sons, one has given us a grand-fur-baby, the other has given us a grand-skin-baby.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #3,892
TIL that there are crew-less ships, to go with driver-less cars.
CNN story.
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 10.13.25 AM.png

The first one, a few years ago, was a ferry (in 2018), so I guess that one could carry driver-less cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #3,893
BillTre said:
... I guess that one could carry driver-less cars.
... and thus, less driver cars. :wink:

• #3,894
TIL that the CO2 levels in my home have been nearly constantly way above healthy levels, and that high levels of C02 can cause major cognitive impairment, lethargy, and other problems.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ina.12706

It took about 1 hour leaving all of the windows open for the C02 levels go below the "acceptable" 1000ppm threshold, and about 2 hours to get to better levels of about 500 (which is still less than optimal). The only problem is that leaving the windows open let's in the smoke, and in the summer let's in the heat, and in the winter let's out the heat.

Looking for a solution, I'm now trying to figure out if indoor algae tanks marketed as CO2 reducers/O2 generators could be a viable solution.

• #3,895
Jarvis323 said:
TIL that the CO2 levels in my home have been nearly constantly way above healthy levels, and that high levels of C02 can cause major cognitive impairment, lethargy, and other problems.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ina.12706

It took about 1 hour leaving all of the windows open for the C02 levels go below the "acceptable" 1000ppm threshold, and about 2 hours to get to better levels of about 500 (which is still less than optimal). The only problem is that leaving the windows open let's in the smoke, and in the summer let's in the heat, and in the winter let's out the heat.

Looking for a solution, I'm now trying to figure out if indoor algae tanks marketed as CO2 reducers/O2 generators could be a viable solution.
Do you know the source of the CO2? What is the level indoors versus outdoors?

• #3,896
berkeman said:
Do you know the source of the CO2? What is the level indoors versus outdoors?
I think it's just me, because it's a small studio apartment with no ventilation system. I'm not sure what the outdoor levels are exactly, but so far at least 1000ppm lower than inside based on the drop I see after leaving the windows open for a long time.

• #3,897
You might look around to see if any gas appliances have their outdoor exhaust vents blocked (bird or mouse nests, tree leaves). Actually any flame (incense, etc) will add a bit of CO2.

Just normal infiltration in most houses will be a few air changes per hour(ACH); that is unless it is a newer building in an area with significant climate extremes, those get sealed rather well and need forced air exchanges.

Cheers,
Tom

• #3,898
Jarvis323 said:
I think it's just me, because it's a small studio apartment with no ventilation system. I'm not sure what the outdoor levels are exactly, but so far at least 1000ppm lower than inside based on the drop I see after leaving the windows open for a long time.
Do you have a way to measure CO levels too? I don't know what can cause an elevated CO2 level in your home...

• #3,900
berkeman said:
It looks like it might be just you, if the air circulation is not very good...

https://learn.kaiterra.com/en/air-academy/tips-for-reducing-co2
Yeah, it seems like a common problem I guess. There is a gas water heater; maybe it could be a factor?

I bought an Awair air quality sensor which measures C02, TVOC, PPM2.5, temp, and humidity and I can connect it to smart plugs so that I can control my air purifier and possibly a humdifier/dehumidifier. But it turns out C02 is the biggest problem and there doesn't seem to be any practical solution.

• #3,901
Jarvis323 said:
But it turns out C02 is the biggest problem and there doesn't seem to be any practical solution.
The article I linked says outside air exchange is your best bet. Maybe add your air purifier in series with that outside air feed... And add a CO monitor please, just in case.

Likes Jarvis323
  • #3,902
TIL about phytomining. Corn uses Si to make its leaves inedible. But corn cannot distinguish between Si and Ge, so it collects Ge in its leaves, too. Researchers have found even equal amounts on La.

• Informative
Likes rsk, DaveE, strangerep and 1 other person
  • #3,903
Today I learned that (if Wikipedia can be trusted) the degree symbol ° originated in the 17th century as a "sexagesimal point" in base-60 numbers

E.g.
36‵‵‵25‵‵15‵1°15′2″36‴​
meaning$$ 36 \times 60^3 + 25 \times 60^2 + 15\times 60+ 1 + 15 \times 60^{-1}+ 2 \times 60^{-2} + 36 \times 60^{-3}$$Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagesimal#Notations

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes rsk, DaveE, BillTre and 3 others
  • #3,904
DrGreg said:
Today I learned that (if Wikipedia can be trusted) the degree symbol ° originated in the 17th century as a "sexagesimal point" in base-60 numbers

E.g.
36‵‵‵25‵‵15‵1°15′2″36‴​
meaning$$ 36 \times 60^3 + 25 \times 60^2 + 15\times 60+ 1 + 15 \times 60^{-1}+ 2 \times 60^{-2} + 36 \times 60^{-3}$$Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagesimal#Notations
The German Wikipedia says the same but notes that the first known usage has been in 1569.
(Cajori, Florian: A History of Mathematical Notations. Dover Publications, New York 1993, ISBN 0-486-67766-4)

But they also added:
An alternative theory for the origin of the degree symbol says that it comes from an Egyptian hieroglyph, which represents the sun and means day.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradzeichen#Geschichte

• #3,905
AFP - Scientists have discovered what is believed to be the world's northernmost landmass — a yet-to-be-named island north of Greenland that could soon be swallowed up by seawaters.
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210828-researchers-discover-world-s-northernmost-island

Ever been to Oodaaq? Oodaaq is some 700 kilometres (435 miles) south of the North Pole, while the new island is 780 metres (2,560 feet) north of Oodaaq.

I'm guessing part of the same land mass.

• #3,906
Astronuc said:
Oodaaq

Oodaaq Ø and other short-lived islets north of Greenland

Abstract​

In 1978, a small island was discovered north of Kaffeklubben Ø, until then considered the most northern island on Earth. This island was named Oodaaq Ø. It was visited again in 1979, and in 1980 it was seen from Kaffeklubben Ø by members of the Sirius sledge patrol. Sirius searched for Oodaaq Ø again from 1981 to 1984 but did not find it. During the period from 1996 to 2008, the region was visited regularly and a number of new islets were discovered: the 1996 ATOW Island, KMS Island, 2001 RTOW Island, 83-42 Island, Stray Dog West Island and the 2008 Island. The islets are composed of gravel. We believe the area with islets is shallow, being a continuation of a coastal plain to the south. We suggest that the sea floor in the area is irregular and that the islets form by floes of sea ice that bulldoze material from the sea floor up above sea level. In some cases, perhaps all, the islets disappear when sea ice floes bulldoze sediment back below sea level. Alternatively, the so-called islets are just accumulations of gravel on sea ice.
740-0958:S0032247419000135:S0032247419000135_fig1g.jpg

Paywalled.
I don't get how gravel could get on top of sea ice.

• #3,907
I like the names, especially Kaffeeklubben! Who the heck brings that coffee?

• #3,909

• Wow
Likes Frabjous
  • #3,910

Crazy

• Wow
Likes berkeman
  • #3,911
TIL I learned that even good old British humour counts as politics. I would have called it satire. I fear that even this post might be called politics.

• #3,912
After seeing candidates like Lord Buckethead, I didn't think there was a difference.

candidates.png

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #3,913
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...r-covid-antibody-levels-in-study?srnd=premium
A study of almost 2,500 workers at a major Belgium hospital system found antibody levels among individuals who hadn’t been infected with the Coronavirus before getting two doses of the Moderna vaccine averaged 2,881 units per milliliter, compared with 1,108 units/mL in an equivalent group who got two jabs of the Pfizer shot.

The results, published Monday in a letter to the Journal of the American Medical Association, suggested the differences might be explained by the:

• higher amount of active ingredient in the Moderna vaccine -- 100 micrograms, versus 30 micrograms in Pfizer-BioNTech
  • longer interval between doses of the Moderna vaccine -- four weeks, versus three weeks for Pfizer-BioNTech
Found this interesting. Wondering how we should interpret this from a practical standpoint. If you had a choice, say, to go back in time and choose between Moderna vs. Pfizer, would this news make you lean more toward Moderna at all? The following was mentioned as well:
Moderna’s vaccine was associated with a two-fold risk reduction against breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 infections compared to Pfizer’s in a review of people in the Mayo Clinic Health System in the U.S. from January to July. The results were reported in a separate study released ahead of publication and peer review on Aug. 9.

• #3,914
TIL:
An Incredible Move: The Indiana Bell Telephone Building Rotation in 1930

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #3,916
Hornbein said:
It isn't on the ice. It's piled up on the sea floor.
What do they mean by:
Alternatively, the so-called islets are just accumulations of gravel on sea ice.
"Sea ice" means floating ice that froze on the sea (+ some snow).

• #3,917
Keith_McClary said:
What do they mean by:

"Sea ice" means floating ice that froze on the sea (+ some snow).
It says there are two alternatives. I'd say the gravel on top of ice has got to be wrong.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #3,918
Greg Bernhardt said:
Today I learned that "chasing the dragon" is slang for smoking heroin.
Originally, it was smoking opium...

• #3,919
TYL: "Things you have to cope with on German Autobahns." (Just in case you erroneously think you could try on holiday.) We are trained.

• Wow
Likes Stavros Kiri and Bystander
  • #3,920
Hornbein said:
It says there are two alternatives. I'd say the gravel on top of ice has got to be wrong.
The debris is almost certainly not deposited on the surface, it is surely left on the surface as snow melts (or sublimates) off.

Here in the Great White Slush, we see this effect all the time on winter roadsides.
Snowplows plow the snow off the roads, leaving three foot high banks. The banks start off pristine white, but as the snow melts away, the debris that's intermixed does not. Instead it accumulates thicker and thicker on the surface until the banks are black with it.

At that point, covered in a protective layer of grit, the snow banks virtually stop melting. But subsequent snowfalls or plowings accumulate; the new snow overlays the debris, then melts, and the new debris is simply laid down on the ever-thickening crust.

In the frozen artic who knows how old the surface of those islands could be. They could have been cycling through this process for centuries, millennia.

Back