Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #4,096
Today I learned that "Ampier" is an acceptable pronunciation in the US for the SI unit named after the Frenchman André-Marie Ampère.

How would you like it if we taked about "Benzhaman Fronklan"? Do you call the guy that brings you presents "Pier Nole"?

Likes rsk
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,097
pbuk said:
...an acceptable pronunciation in the US...
There's a can o' worms alright.

House-flipping shows are a staple in our house, but I still cringe every time they enter the front door into the "foyur".

• #4,098
pbuk said:
Today I learned that "Ampier" is an acceptable pronunciation in the US for the SI unit named after the Frenchman André-Marie Ampère.
Weird. It sounds like a comparison - a 3A current is Ampier than a 2A one...

• Haha
Likes rsk, mfb, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
  • #4,099
DaveC426913 said:

House-flipping shows are a staple in our house, but I still cringe every time they enter the front door into the "foyur".
Aren't you supposed to know it right in Canada?

Likes rsk
  • #4,100
Ibix said:
Weird. It sounds like a comparison - a 3A current is Ampier than a 2A one...
Maybe the Americans want their empire, too.

• Haha
Likes pbuk
  • #4,101
pbuk said:
How would you like it if we taked about "Benzhaman Fronklan"? Do you call the guy that brings you presents "Pier Nole"?
I have had my name mispronounced so many times.
No longer care.

• #4,102
fresh_42 said:
Aren't you supposed to know it right in Canada?
It's pronounced 'foyay'. :mad:

• #4,103
DaveC426913 said:
It's pronounced 'foyay'. :mad:
There is absolutely no way to talk about pronunciation in English. Not even English.

• #4,104
fresh_42 said:
There is absolutely no way to talk about pronunciation in English. Not even English.
Sure there is - there's a special alphabet for it. You can't do it without, though. A Scot once asked me (an Englishman) to pronounce paw, pour, and poor. I say them exactly the same. He pronounced each vowel distinctly...

Likes rsk
  • #4,105
Ibix said:
Sure there is - there's a special alphabet for it.
An international one, that has nothing to do with English.
Ibix said:
You can't do it without, though. A Scot once asked me (an Englishman) to pronounce paw, pour, and poor. I say them exactly the same. He pronounced each vowel distinctly...
Scots are closer to a correct pronunciation than the rest.

I like to annoy Americans by pronouncing Montreal correctly. :cool:

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #4,106
BillTre said:
I have had my name mispronounced so many times.
No longer care.
I have often wondered: is it like filtre (Fr), BillTré (Fr) or even BillTree (En)?

• #4,107
fresh_42 said:
Scots are closer to a correct pronunciation than the rest.
Nah, my pronunciation is correct and everyone else has a funny accent.
pbuk said:
I have often wondered: is it like filtre (Fr), BillTré (Fr) or even BillTree (En)?
I admit I'd assumed Tre was a short version of something and not thought about it. I'm curious too (full disclosure: I pronounce it Tré in my head).

• #4,108
pbuk said:

Ibix said:
I admit I'd assumed Tre was a short version of something and not thought about it. I'm curious too (full disclosure: I pronounce it Tré in my head).

Its a truncated version of my last name (Trevarrow (often mispronounced)).
For my pseudonym for PF I wanted BillT (pronounced built!), but I think that was taken, so it is BillTre (Tre as in tree). However, if someone wants to say it otherways, OK with me.
A tree, by any other name, would still smell the same.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and Ibix
  • #4,110
TIL that the modern American image of Santa Claus was created by a Finnish American. Quite fitting considering that Finland claims to be where Santa actually lives.

• #4,111
Well, it won't be possible to claim he's at the North pole for too many more years.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and hutchphd
  • #4,113
Brussel sprouts too. (Too lazy for reference...my brother told me...he's an MD)

Likes BillTre
  • #4,114
BWV said:
People who don't like cilantro / coriander have a genetic defect
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature.2012.11398

hutchphd said:
Brussel sprouts too. (Too lazy for reference...my brother told me...he's an MD)

Genetic advantage, I'd say. ?:) Like sickle cell anemia prevents malaria.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Bystander, BWV and 1 other person
  • #4,116
jack action said:
The article doesn't say "genetic defect", it says "genetic variant".
Yup, cilantro tastes like soap...additionally artificial sweeteners taste to me like gasoline/kerosene/coal oil. Don't know if that's an additional effect or not.

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,117
Bystander said:
Yup, cilantro tastes like soap...additionally artificial sweeteners taste to me like gasoline/kerosene/coal oil. Don't know if that's an additional effect or not.
Sounds like a defect to me, kind of like being colorblind or tonedeaf or something. Never to know the awesomeness of cilantro /coriander ;)

• #4,118
Bystander said:
<rant>Artificial sweeteners are the foods industry's response to the fact that people want to be lied to and betrayed.

If I do not want the sugar in the coke, then serve me some water. Otherwise, let me alone with my unhealthy coke. That's next to low-fat cheese. This is as reasonable as lactose-free milk is, or vegan burgers are, or gluten-free bread. I am not talking about people with coeliac disease, I am talking to the thousands of other folks who think it is healthier to avoid essential ingredients. Don't eat it if you don't want to, but stop pretending. There is really healthy food available. Eat veggies and fruit.<\rant>

• Love
Likes hmmm27, Tom.G, BillTre and 2 others
  • #4,119
fresh_42 said:
<rant>Artificial sweeteners are the foods industry's response to the fact that people want to be lied to and betrayed.

If I do not want the sugar in the coke, then serve me some water. Otherwise, let me alone with my unhealthy coke. That's next to low-fat cheese. This is as reasonable as lactose-free milk is, or vegan burgers are, or gluten-free bread. I am not talking about people with coeliac disease, I am talking to the thousands of other folks who think it is healthier to avoid essential ingredients. Don't eat it if you don't want to, but stop pretending. There is really healthy food available. Eat veggies and fruit.<\rant>
Although I agree with your general food thoughts, I think your rant would be better directed at those making and MARKETTING their products for PROFIT rather than any the improvement in anyone else's condition.

Chemical In Your Mouth aside:
I used to use a chemical in labs to prevent fish embryos from making pigment (so we could see everything going on in them as the grew). The pigment cells were still there, but they could not make the pigment molecule (melanin).
At first we thought of it as run of the mill chemical, not to worry about toxicity or disposal (dump down the drain). Eventually it was identified as mildly toxic and something to be disposed of in a particular way.

When I was in a lab in England, my boss told me, that when he was a kid, this chemical (Phenyl Thio Urea (PTU)) was used as a grade school lab demonstration that a common genetic variant in people can control if their ability to taste a specific chemical. They would have kids taste, keep records, and show difference. Kind of like tongue rolling.
Then they found out it was mildly toxic, and of course changed what they did.
(Life is full of these kinds of contradictions based on the historical development of knowledge.)

My Rant:
Reactions to new knowledge in food realm will be slowed by opposition of financial powers with interest in food production.
This gets into social structure, politics, and such.

Another issue with the food field is that it does not seem to be what I would call a mature field. There are lots of changes going on in what people think about basic issues. There is also a very large, the non-academic source of many people's awareness, is often profit driven and not too concerned with facts.

• #4,120
BillTre said:
Although I agree with your general food thoughts, I think your rant would be better directed at those making and MARKETTING their products for PROFIT rather than any the improvement in anyone else's condition.
I am a purist and don't like the attitude that something is better because it is trendy. It took us thousands of years to digest lactose, a major achievement. The problem with gluten arose from the needs of the food industry which required much higher amounts of it in wheat than is naturally the case. And low-fat cheese doesn't make any sense to me at all. Good camemberts have 50%-60%. What's left from cheese if you subtract fat? And if I eat meat, I made a decision. We certainly do not need it seven days a week. In former times, meat was for Sundays and holidays, so there are plenty of good recipes without meat. But if I made the decision to eat meat, then I know it is a luxury and I don't want to be taught by self-announced apostles of veganism.

I think it is a good idea to eat seasonal, local food, and to pay more attention to what we eat in general. Faking food isn't a solution in my mind. I even have difficulties understanding the hypes around some trends. In the end, they are the same people who usually condemn processed food.

Likes Bystander and BillTre
  • #4,121
DaveC426913 said:

I always disliked the word originally because of posh snobby sounding connotations. Dictionary pronunciations correspon to neither normal English nor French. You could make a justification for your 'foyur' - the word originally means 'hearth' in French, and so is related to 'fire'.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,122
1640582193667.png

Today I learned, actually a few years ago, as a computer programmer that...
You can type.
Create
Database
DataSet
Read
Text
Trace
Date
Feed

all with your left hand.

While for me, when I was wearing the cast.
popup
link
lookup
loop

are the worst.

Likes DaveC426913 and Ibix
  • #4,123
Today I learned a new word: cheugy.

What Is ‘Cheugy’? You Know It When You See It. (New York Times)

It’s not quite “basic,” which can describe someone who is a conformist or perhaps generic in their tastes, and it’s not quite “uncool.” It’s not embarrassing or even always negative. Cheugy (pronounced chew-gee) can be used, broadly, to describe someone who is out of date or trying too hard. And while a lot of cheugy things are associated with millennial women, the term can be applied to anyone of any gender and any age.

It’s not just a way to describe people. According to people who have embraced the word, the following are also cheugy: The Hype House, Golden Goose sneakers, anything associated with Barstool Sports, Gucci belts with the large double “G” logo, being really into sneaker culture, Rae Dunn pottery, and anything chevron.

This article is now eight months old, which shows you how far behind the times I am, as an aging Boomer. Paleo-cheugy, perhaps?

Likes hutchphd
  • #4,124
I guess I am NOT cheugy. I have never heard of The Hype House, Golden Goose sneakers, anything associated with Barstool Sports, Gucci belts with the large double “G” logo, Rae Dunn pottery, and anything chevron. Looking at my sneakers, no one would consider me a member of sneaker culture.

• #4,125
jtbell said:
Today I learned a new word: cheugy.

What Is ‘Cheugy’? You Know It When You See It. (New York Times)
NYT doesn't like me, but from glancing at the illustrations at the top that I managed to see it looked like somebody didn't know the word "kitsch" so invented a new word with the same meaning, to be honest.

Likes rsk and mfb
  • #4,126
Bits of the Wikipedia entry are wonderful in particular

Among Generation Z, the reaction to cheugy has been described as one of confusion. Inside Hook reveals that many Zoomers were unfamiliar with the term before its popularization by online spaces such as Twitter and Buzzfeed, and a common sentiment reflects that Zoomers do not view themselves as participants in the spread of cheugy, rather perceiving its popularity as “millennial on millennial violence."

Good God I am old...

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes rsk and berkeman
  • #4,127
TIL that though nor day/night nor winter does not concerns moles, around Christmas they too might have a soft spot about eggnog: their (very deeply) hidden creativity just got some inspiration.

IMG_20211231_122348_f.jpg
IMG_20211231_122353_f.jpg

Definitely not your common molehills o0)

Likes rsk, collinsmark, dlgoff and 1 other person
  • #4,128
TIL that train wheels aren't cylindrical, and why they do that.

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes rsk, Hamiltonian, Astronuc and 6 others
  • #4,129
It's recently come to my attention that some people use milk instead of water in the cooking of porridge oats; now I wonder whether this is a popular practice and whether it actually tastes nicer than using water?

Likes rsk
  • #4,130
ergospherical said:
It's recently come to my attention that some people use milk instead of water in the cooking of porridge oats; now I wonder whether this is a popular practice and whether it actually tastes nicer than using water?
Never tried it, but milk scalds at around 170F/ 77C , so would have to be careful with the temp

Likes ergospherical
Back